YA books being made into films

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I f-ing hated that book. And the trailer looked like something Chris Columbus farted out in his sleep.

But Godfrey Gao is so hot. Damn. Conflicted. I'm not wasting a single cent to see it, but damn. So hot.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I want to watch the trailer but it's unavailable in my country :( I hate those books so I doubt I'll see anything good in it, though.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Becca, if you click on the US site it should work. I'm from Australia and had no problem.

I've only read a couple of the Mortal Instruments books (will read the rest these holidays) and CoB was my least favourite, but I thought the trailer looked pretty cool. I wasn't happy when Jamie Campbell Bower was cast but I have to say he looks very hot as Jace. Which is the most important thing, of course ;)

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Robert Sheehan looks hotter than JCB by far.

OMG Angelfall as a movie! My dreams are coming true!!!!! <3 I so hope they make this happen because that book was EPIC. So well written. It'd be perfect as a movie. PERFECT. SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Man I was pretty underwhelmed by that trailer. I don't know why, it just wasn't there for me. It looks pretty, but not really interesting. Of course I haven't read the books.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful Creatures looks better than TMI tbh. Also lol it does look like Harry, Draco and Ginny are the main cast.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with missesdash and firelux. The trailer didn't do much for me, then again, I haven't read the books either.

However, I haven't read Beautiful Creatures and I thought that looked fantastic!

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
While we're talking trailers, here's the new one for THE HOST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syUlVFpw_f4

(book wasn't technically marketed as YA, but the movie's bound to to attract Stephenie's teen TWILIGHT fans)

Squee! :-D

Funny thing is, I'm not a fan of Twilight. Didn't think I'd like the Host when I read it, but I got to say it had some more emotional scenes in it than I'd read in a while. At the begining of the trailer, my reaction was kind of "meh," but then it started showing all my favorite things about the book, so... (And it looks like how I envisioned it, so that's a plus).

I don't know. I'll see what the other trailers show before deciding to see it in theatres or wait.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
That trailer was full of weird accents. But the film could be okay maybe.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The Beautiful Creatures trailer looks awesome--haven't read the book yet, still in my TBR pile.

City of Bones I'm....not gonna lie, disappointed I don't see Aiden Turner in there anywhere. I KNOW he was cast as one of the wolves, dammit, I want my fix! :(

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I love the trailer for The Host! I had a REALLY hard time reading that book, but I stuck it out and did finish it (took me 5 months LOL). I thought the concept was awesome and had the most twisted and insane love triangle EVER, but thought the story could have been told in 400 pages rather than 600. However, I do remember saying after the book that if they made this into a movie I think I would enjoy it way more than the book. And I think my prediction will be right. The movie looks AWESOME!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I really like the second trailer for Beautiful Creatures, but it could be shorter and more focused. And it makes it seem like Lena is the main character, which she isn't.

The trailer for The Host just... looks like a book trailer made by an amateur. It's all those stock photos and the lack of movement. I dunno. I hated the book so I think I'm naturally prejudiced against the movie.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
God, I call witches casters in my paranormal and now I'm thinking I have to change it.

I wish these books would stop stealing my ideas before I have them :(

Eta: even the trailer's song is on my playlist. Brb drowning in tears.

Apologue

Pure heart, filthy mind
Registered
Reaction score
The southern accents in the Beautiful Creatures trailer are indeed absolutely dreadful, most notably the actress who was cast as Lena. I am married to a southerner and it has completely ruined my ability to watch movies in which people have terrible fake southern accents.

Still, it looks like they did a nice job with the effects, and Emma Thompson is always a huge selling point.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug: I'm used to it. I've yet to see a non-Southern actor pull of a genuine sounding Southern accent. Unless it's particularly horrendous I don't usually pay attention to it.

(I take that back, Tom Hardy didn't do half bad in "Lawless").

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
They probably could have gotten away with Lena not even having a Southern accent, since she's not from Gatlin, and I don't think the book says where she's been staying.

I liked the first trailer for BC better, but neither really makes me want to go see the movie. This would be the first book I've listened to as an audiobook to go to the theaters and I get better visuals when listening than reading words, so it seems really weird to me to hear different voices than in the audiobook and see different images than was in my head. I don't usually have that problem with books to movies.

ETA: OTOH, I just watched the Mortal Instruments trailer off that link (a book I haven't read), and I want to check it out.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
The BC trailer was suuuuper campy (I love the evil!sister's GRAAAAAGH scream at the end there), but I definitely do want to check it out! It looks fun.

Honestly, I'm excited to see what happens with all these YA movies. If they do well, it'll just mean more of these movies will be made. Of course it can go the opposite way if one of them bombs in a big way.

I'm most enthusiastic about Warm Bodies even though it's not typically my kind of movie, and I'm not really that crazy about The Host (I'll have to read reviews on that one before shilling my money). I'll probably check out BC and TMI just to see how they turn out.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
OMG OMG I went to see Breaking Dawn Part 2 yesterday and in the pre-show ads there was a BOOK TRAILER. For Rachel Cohn's Beta. On the big screen! I geeked out. My poor date had to listen to me hiss "Omg a YA book, omg a YA book" for about two minutes. Eh, he better learn what he's getting into.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. A book trailer as a movie pre-view? That is FANTASTIC.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
OMG OMG I went to see Breaking Dawn Part 2 yesterday and in the pre-show ads there was a BOOK TRAILER. For Rachel Cohn's Beta. On the big screen! I geeked out. My poor date had to listen to me hiss "Omg a YA book, omg a YA book" for about two minutes. Eh, he better learn what he's getting into.

SO. COOL.

We need more of this.