Status
Not open for further replies.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Hey Uncle Jim, got a question I've asked before, but I'm going to ask again because I am a pain... I'm writing about a fictional town in New Hampshire, approx. 80 miles west of Manchester. You gave me some good points on some town layout a long time ago (and I have that page printed out for reference), but I wanted to know what would be a good site to find physical characteristics of the land. All native fauna and botany as well as good photos to really bring out my descriptions. You are certainly a king of research, so I'm hoping you'll be able to guide me to a good site.
Thanks

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
For New Hampshire plants and animals, your first stop should probably be the NH Fish and Game site.

80 miles west of Manchester is somewhere between Walpole and Keene. So, let's see: Walpole has a population of around 3,500, which I think is about what you wanted for your story? Hit Google Images for Walpole, NH, then hit your local library for tourist books on the North East, and for books on plants, birds, flowers, and so on, for the North East.

Tourist books are wonderful for the writer who can't visit the places, as long as you don't have people giving each other as-you-know-Bob descriptions of local places and events.

(If you want a smaller town, Gilsum, NH, has a population of 811. If you want a larger one, Keene is a college town, with a population of 22,500.)

Google images with the town name is a quick shortcut to finding all the pictures you want on one page.

Research one real town, then re-name it. That's how to cheat.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
LOL I never missed the post you deleted, and your google experience I see has improved. At the end of the day, only you can decide what is the best site :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tonight on CNN:

"Can't we English-speakers just agree upon a gender-neutral pronoun?" attorney Paul Easton recently Twittered. "Tired of PC grammar gymnastics."

Easton isn't alone. There have been at least 18 recent tweets about the fact that English has no grammatically correct substitutes for words like "he," "him," and "his" that do not have a gender implied.

Consider the sentence "Everyone loves his mother." The word "his" may be seen as both sexist and inaccurate, but replacing it with "his or her" seems cumbersome, and "their" is grammatically incorrect.

Nonsense! "Their" is perfectly grammatically correct. The objection to the singular their is another of the botches created by the Latinate prescriptive grammarians of the 18th century. (Along with, more famously, not ending a sentence with a preposition, and not splitting an infinitive (both forms that we all use, perfectly correctly, every day).)
Chaucer used the singular their. The King James Bible uses it. Shakespeare used it. Jane Austin used it. George Orwell used it. F. Scott Fitzgerald used it.

And I use it.

Go, my children, and say "Everyone loves their mother."

It's correct.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
Nonsense! "Their" is perfectly grammatically correct. The objection to the singular their is another of the botches created by the Latinate prescriptive grammarians of the 18th century. (Along with, more famously, not ending a sentence with a preposition, and not splitting an infinitive (both forms that we all use, perfectly correctly, every day).)
Chaucer used the singular their. The King James Bible uses it. Shakespeare used it. Jane Austin used it. George Orwell used it. F. Scott Fitzgerald used it.

And I use it.

Go, my children, and say "Everyone loves their mother."

It's correct.

THANK YOU Uncle Jim! I've been trying to tell people this, but I always get corrected when I do so. Usually I just wind up using "he" in order to avoid an argument about the subject. I agree 100%. Can we please stop this awkward silliness already? *Sigh*

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Splitting infinitives:

Okay.

In English, an infinitive is a verb in the form "to [verb]." E.g: to love, to warn, to rule, to hear.

In Latin (and other inflected languages), you can't split infinitives because the infinitive form is one word. E.g: amare, monere, regere, audire.

But in English, since the infinitive is two words, you can put other words between the "to" and the verb. Famously, from Star Trek, "to boldly go where no man has gone before."

English has always split infinitives. But when the Latinate Prescriptive Grammarians came along in the 18th century, to impose the grammatical rules from Latin onto English in order to make English respectable (since Latin was the perfect language) they decided that it was therefore wrong to split infinitives in English.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There are two kinds of grammarians in the world: Descriptive and Prescriptive. The Descriptive Grammarians find the way that the language works based on the way native speakers use it. The Prescriptive Grammarians figure out how they want the language to work, and try to get native speakers to go along with it.

Descriptive Grammarians win.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Oooh, thanks, Uncle Jim. Splitting infinitives never made sense to me because I speak a language in which infinitives consist of only one word. I've always had that doubt.

But really, trying to apply Latin rules to English? Ha! It doesn't even quite work with Spanish, even though Spanish is more akin to Latin than English (not that people haven't tried; the first Spanish grammar in the XV century had that exact purpose).

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath

MiltonPope

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a great help for designing fictional towns, but www.city-data.com is a phenomenal collection of public data for almost any town in the US. So it's 14 miles from Walpole to the nearest hospital. 18 Miles to the nearest airport. Lower than usual unemployment. Graphs of temperature, humidity, wind, snow by month. Older population, not much black or Hispanic population. And a hundred more.

Chris Grey

Vagrant Story
Registered
Reaction score
There are two kinds of grammarians in the world: Descriptive and Prescriptive. The Descriptive Grammarians find the way that the language works based on the way native speakers use it. The Prescriptive Grammarians figure out how they want the language to work, and try to get native speakers to go along with it.

Descriptive Grammarians win.

Yet we must be ever vigilant, for Prescriptive Grammarians teach. A textbook on grammar that boasts "10% more rules than leading brands" is going to get bought by school boards. You wouldn't want your kids to learn some kind of slackjawed slang in school, would you? So, even to this day, children have "Thou shalt not split infinitives" driven into their heads by rote. To this day, I get "corrected" by people who can't use an apostrophe.

English is not Latin.

Besides, to use the Star Trek example, splitting the infinitive gives English a lot of descriptive power. "To boldly go" is the key phrase, and if you look at it, "go" is in a position of power. Star Trek's emphasis is not on boldness, but on going.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Got it!

The Young Visiters; or, Mr. Salteena's Plan by Daisy Ashford. A novel, from 1919. It went into multiple printings in its first year.

Ms. Ashford was nine years old when she wrote it.

The novel was turned into a stage play, which ran in New York and London in 1920.

I have it. An illustrated version dated 1949. Brilliant! It's full of little gems. How on Earth did they make a play out of it, though? It's so small (50 pages) and nothing much happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.