Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
I just wanted to share something with you guys. I know it made me feel better at the time I read it. It's a quote from within the book "Don't Murder Your Mystery":

"Anyone who is satisfied with first-draft writing is either extraordinarily talented or has low standards." - Arnold Melnick

ebennet68

Avoids editing by procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Love the quote, Sassy. I got Chapter 2 done today. Woohoo! Only 18 more to go!!

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
that's great ebennet68!
I finally realized where I want my book to go, so i'm back on track! it only took staying up to midnight last night - worth the price :) (normally I'm in bed by 10pm) I wrote some new segments today and feel pretty good about them.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I'll join this challenge too, though I'm technically not supposed to be on AW until I finish my MS. But I put in at least ten hours of editing today, so that should earn me a little play time.

I've got to have this thing edited and polished by June 1st. I'm doing Holly Lisle's One Pass Revision which I started two weeks ago. I'm about 2/3s done with the hand editing and have typed it all in and have started polishing from the beginning. Here's what I have to do to have my manuscript presentable:

Saturday: Finish writing 2 of the final four chapters and polish 10 more chapters.

Sunday: Finish writing the final 2 chapters and polish 20 chapters

Monday: Flash edit the last 100 pages of the book, type in changes, fix 4 problem chapters

Tuesday: Proof last 100 pages, print manuscript and deliver to crit group.

Yeah, that's a lot, but I've got a three day weekend and don't have to go into work until noon on Tuesday!

Nicole

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I must have missed this thread, I've just discovered it. :D

Yesterday I started editing my WIP, and this morning I've decided I don't like the correction to the end of chapter one. Aaargh!!

That's my evening booked tonight then.:Headbang:

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
:welcome: Nicole and Gothicangel

sounds like you've got it all planned out Nicole...now, myself, I'm not so organized...all I know is I want this book finished to the point I'm completely satisfied with it and ready to send it to agents. But the thing is...I have to take stuff out, move it around, add new scenes, more elements to flesh out the entire plot and my MC's main conflict....not enough hours in the day it feels sometimes. (and here I am on a weekend...should have time but some things need to get done around the house too ... drag)

Last edited:

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
okay well somehow I managed to write over 1k today in the midst of cleaning up the patio and washing the car with my husband.

pretty happy with what I wrote - hope to accomplish even more tomorrow with my edits

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Sassy! I got one chapter written and nine proofed, which means I'll have to work a little faster tomorrow. I also mowed the grass and took my dog for a walk, so I got a little moving done too. :)

Nicole

ebennet68

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so all I got done as far as editing/revising today was to re read the two chapters I just revised to see how they felt. I only had to change a few word choices here and there so it wasn't too bad. I wrote about 3500 words on my new project which I must say was so much fun. I was on a roll! Must commit some more time tomorrow on revising, though I must say, that revising at a slower pace is making my MS a lot better than when I just plow through it.

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Nice, Sassy! I got one chapter written and nine proofed, which means I'll have to work a little faster tomorrow. I also mowed the grass and took my dog for a walk, so I got a little moving done too. :)

Nicole

Great job for you too!! you almost reached the goal you set for yourself for Saturday :)

ebennet68 Okay so all I got done as far as editing/revising today was to re read the two chapters I just revised to see how they felt. I only had to change a few word choices here and there so it wasn't too bad. I wrote about 3500 words on my new project which I must say was so much fun. I was on a roll! Must commit some more time tomorrow on revising, though I must say, that revising at a slower pace is making my MS a lot better than when I just plow through it.

I love first drafts the best (confession). the free flow of just writing is so much fun :) I don't know how you do it though, I couldn't balance a new work, keep the facts straight for it while I'm immersed in edits. kudos!

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
woot woot

57 pages of edits today!!! which included news words, scenes and of course glorious cut and paste rearrangements. I believe I deserve the rest of the day off.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I got my two chapters written for the day, plus the one I didn't get to yesterday. I didn't get as many chapters proofed as I would have liked, only around 11 or so.

Tomorrow will be a crazy day!

Nicole

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
My brain is mush. Another full eight hours of editing today. Four more tomorrow, and I'll be as done as I'm going to get. 100 pages of proofreading left, and four pesky problem chapters need to be sorted out.

Nicole

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
My brain is mush. Another full eight hours of editing today. Four more tomorrow, and I'll be as done as I'm going to get. 100 pages of proofreading left, and four pesky problem chapters need to be sorted out.

Nicole

Don't you love that about editing? You can work your butt off and still have soooo much to do.

I'm almost to the half-way point. I changed the first half of my book quite a bit and I'm hoping I didn't destroy it. If I did, I still have the original file...but I really think I improved it. Let's just say it wouldn't have hooked an agent the way it was between protocol and some info dumps. so that's an improvement.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Nice! Go, go, go!

Nicole

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, what's this doing hiding out in the Roundtable?

The single best aid I found in editing is to read aloud, or get MS Narrator to read it. That finds all kinds of problems, from structural (that part just didn't make any sense) to grammar (hmm, that reads better with a comma...)

--Stan

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Reading aloud is very helpful. I used that technique yesterday when I rewrote my first chapter. Also worked on a conversation that was always okay, but I felt could be more. Making good progress.

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
it is good advice, I doubly agree! Sometimes I'll write something and go to read it to my husband...and realize it sounded so much better in my head. I find it helps focus on where things need to be tightened up (on those scenes where you ramble)....

ebennet68

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done a darn thing with the project that needs revising in a couple of days. I'm just having too much fun writing the first draft of my WIP. Help motivate me please!!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done a darn thing with the project that needs revising in a couple of days. I'm just having too much fun writing the first draft of my WIP. Help motivate me please!!
Revise that project or the WIP gets it. :sword And no more chocolate!

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com

Step away from the work in progress!! Pick up the manuscript the deserves some attention!! Make it feel needed, wanted!!! FOCUS!! You can can do it!!! :Sun:

If you're not a chocolate person what else can we punish you with....hummm...blank...but it will be bad lol

Nice! Go, go, go!

Nicole

You're doing a great job!! you've done a lot in 3 days - party!

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Editing is done! I turned my manuscript into my crit group today. I finished everything except the least two problematic of my problem chapters, which can wait. But for now, I won't have to think about the novel for a whole month!!!

Nicole

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Editing is done! I turned my manuscript into my crit group today. I finished everything except the least two problematic of my problem chapters, which can wait. But for now, I won't have to think about the novel for a whole month!!!

Nicole

Congratulations!!!! :D (a little envious...guess I'll have to get my butt in gear too)

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!! :D (a little envious...guess I'll have to get my butt in gear too)

Thanks! Having a deadline really helped. Good luck with your editing!

Nicole

ebennet68

Registered
Reaction score
Revise that project or the WIP gets it. :sword And no more chocolate!

Oh no! Don't do that to my WIP!!! It's just a baby and needs lots of attention but I guess the other "kid" is going to starve if I don't "feed it" soon. Been a hard week at the day job. Going to do a little bit tonight, even if it's just a page, I'll do it. Well maybe, 2 pages.
Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.