Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanDSchaffer

James D. Macdonald said:
You have permission to rewrite while you transcribe.

Note to Readers:
To some people, a statement like that quoted above could seem silly. But the fact is, I've seen too many people--myself included--who need permission from someone else to do certain things. It's an amazing little piece of some people that can be difficult to understand.

Uncle Jim, thank you for saying that. I needed someone else to give me permission. It's a psychological problem I've had since I was little. I appreciate it wholeheartedly.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I guess in my arrogance I never thought I needed permission to do things differently. That might make me a bit of a rebel but I have seen Uncle Jim say time and time again...do what works for you. I am taking that advise to heart along with one thing I printed out and taped to my monitor...

"Your readers can always tell when you are bored." Indeed they can and I have noticed that when my work suffers it is because I am bored with a particular part of the story.

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent topic!

How do you solve the problem of being bored with a certain, necessary part of your plot? Do you throw a handful of flaming cats at your main character? Or do you have to get along without that 'necessary' part?

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was three or four years ago (I'm getting senile and lose track of time) when Jim gave me permission to write crap. It was a damn good thing, too, because I couldnt do it myself.

The "permission" thing is just a way of saying, "Ligthen up a little. Quit worrying about whether or not your material sucks and just write. The business of writing can beat you up just fine without you contributing to the battery." Not everything you write is going to be solid gold. That's a given. It's also: A. Perfectly normal, B. Not a life threatening condition, and C. Not a hanging offense.

It's also a given that what you think sucks today might look pretty good a few weeks or months from now. The reverse is also true. The old saying that you've got to write a million words worth of crap before you reach the good stuff holds a measure of truth.

Of course, individual mileage varies, and you could be the excpetion that writes that best seller on your first shot out of the barrel. The delta is this; Don't let the mental image of perfection paralyze you. Give yourself permission to write some crap along the way. If it happens, it happens. Don't open a vein over it. After all, it's a just a growth thing. And, if you just can't bring yourself to give yourself permission to write crap once in a while, Uncle Jim is always around. ;)

(And as with all advice and commentary, take what is useful and send the rest to file 13.)

SeanDSchaffer

Liam Jackson said:
It's also a given that what you think sucks today might look pretty good a few weeks or months from now. The reverse is also true. The old saying that you've got to write a million words worth of crap before you reach the good stuff holds a measure of truth.

I never stopped to think about that. I'm sure that with 20-some years of writing behind me (all aspiration, mind you), I must have written at least a million words of crud.

The only problem I have, really, is that I am too self-conscious. If I could get past that, I think I could become a much better individual than I am today.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I just spotted this in the Google Ads of another writing-related site:

Whitmore Publishing
Quality book publishing since 1961 No publishing fee. We pay you.
whitmorepublishing.com

Let's count up the lies in that ad, shall we? Like the sign in the Dashiel Hammet story*, it threatens to have more lies than words.

We can start the first lie with the name of the firm. Whitmore Publishing isn't really Whitmore Publishing: it's Dorrance (the well-known (not to say infamous) vanity press).

Oh, they try to disguise the fact: Whitmore gives its address as 926 Liberty Avenue, Third Floor, Pittsburgh, PA. Dorrance's address is 701 Smithfield Street, Third Floor, Pittsburgh, PA. But a brief glance at Google Maps will show you that those two addresses refer to the same building: Whitmore; Dorrance.

There was a publisher called Whitmore, back in the 1960s. And they did (as the current Whitmore boasts) publish Warren Adler's first book. What the current site doesn't mention is that the Whitmore that published Adler went out of business in the early 1990s. All the books are long-since reverted, all the editorial, production, sales and marketing staff has long-since moved on to other places. So "since 1961" is a shocking lie, as is their claim to quality book publishing. Or book publishing at all -- the current Whitmore arose in 2003, some ten years after the real Whitmore disappeared.

"No publishing fee" is a red flag. When is there ever a publishing fee with a legitimate press? It's also a lie. This current Whitmore follows PublishAmerica's business plan: they print, POD, and their market is their own authors. They sell overpriced books and expect to make their profit on the small number of sales that come from self-purchases. The fee is hidden in the cover price.

"We pay you." Indeed. They pay an advance that's ten times higher than PublishAmerica's. They expect to get many times more back from the author. That's the equivalent of cutting off a dog's tail and handing it back to the dog, saying, "Here you go, Fido! A nice piece of meat!"

"whitmorepublishing.com" -- lists as its technical contact a person with a dorrancepublishing.com email address. Dorrancepublishing.com's IP number is 65.39.195.54. Whitmorepublishing.com's IP number is 65.39.195.56. They're both hosted by Peer 1 Network.

A lot of writing (and other) sites don't realize that they can block URLs from advertising with them. The Google ads you see on writing-related sites (based as they are on keywords) are almost universally for scams: Vanity publishers, fake agents, unneeded services. The rule is this: If you see a publisher or an agent advertising through Google, they're either scammers or worthless.

===========

*I was reading a sign high on the wall behind the bar:

ONLY GENUINE PRE-WAR AMERICAN AND
BRITISH WHISKEYS SERVED HERE

I was trying to count how many lies could be found in those nine words, and had reached four, with promise of more, when one of my confederates, the Greek, cleared his thoat with the noise a gasoline engine's backfire.​

Last edited:

Allynegirl

Wax the Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Uncle Jim for looking out for us! :Hug2:

Back to the topic of "Your readers can always tell when you are bored." I just posted my 6th of 7 sections of my short story re-write in SYW with the words Help and :e2paperba . I am bored with this section (and embarrassed by it). I have re-written it over and over, changed opening scene 3 times, reworked the dialogue, moved around the chronology and I just can't seem to get it to work (yes, the scene is needed). I am so close to the end of the story, I can almost taste it but I find myself "waxing cats" in order to not have to look at this story again.

I really want to be done with Assignment #21. :rant:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aertep said:
That's some world-class sleuthing, Uncle Jim.

Not all that difficult. You know, if you see a publisher or agent advertising with Google, that they're bent somehow.

Meanwhile, Allynegirl, the general solution to problem scenes:

Flop it, crop it, or drop it.

That is, rewrite, showing the scene from a different POV. Or, make it lots shorter. If those don't work, delete it and see if the story still works.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
From the archives of SFF Net (where I was looking for something totally unrelated), I find this list of The Lies of Publishing by the learned Teresa Nielsen Hayden:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helv,Helvetica][FONT=FixedSys,Courier New,Courier]-- We'll fix that in the proofs.

-- We regard ourselves as having made a serious long-term commitment to
your career, but we can't give you any more money.

-- The manuscript is very clean.

-- We'll fix that in the second pass.

-- Don't worry, this is standard industry practice.

-- I've already started reading your manuscript, but I don't want to
comment on it until I've finished the whole thing.

-- We'll fix that in the actual book.

-- The art will look a lot better when it's printed.

-- I'll get back to you on that.

-- You don't need to put that in the contract.

-- When you've been a pro as long as I have, a few rejections don't worry you.

-- We'll fix that in the paperback.

-- The copyeditor must have done that -- too late to fix it now!

-- The cover will look a lot better when it's foiled and embossed.

-- Bad reviews don't bother me. I don't even read 'em anymore, and I
certainly don't obsess over them.

-- The sales force is very excited about your upcoming book.

-- Of course I'll have the book in on time.

-- Nobody'll notice that typo anyway.

-- We'll do whatever it takes to make it right.

-- The check is in the mail.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
This pretty much matches my list of what a publisher might say to me, should I get accepted then ask any questions.

What's the list of author lies? "Sure, I'll make the deadline."

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helv,Helvetica][FONT=FixedSys,Courier New,Courier]-- We'll fix that in the proofs.

-- We'll fix that in the second pass.

-- We'll fix that in the actual book.

-- We'll fix that in the paperback.
[/FONT][/FONT]
I think that qualifies as a 'string of lies.' I feel bad for anyone who's heard all four. (I also envy them.)

It also sounds like me in my animation job. "I'll fix it in post."

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*giggle* The Internet has a long memory, doesn't it?

(Hi T ... I hope Mac didn't talk your ear off at LACon ;) )

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Marlowe said:
I don't think it counts as a lie if the author actually believes it... :)

Then they're just lying to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.