What do you use..? [backing up your work online]

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What do you use to store/save your work on line? I am tired of using my jumpdrive. Is there a cloud-type service that is best? Thanks!

I looked for this question but couldn't find it...

bjcox

Registered
Reaction score
I save my file to my desktop constantly, I save it to a memory stick sometimes encase something happens to the desktop. Then, when I get a nice chunk written, I print it off encase we have an EMP or something. I don't trust saving it on an online service.

bjcox

Registered
Reaction score
There are easy ways to carry jump drives now. On your keychain, jump drive necklace, bracelets, you can even email to yourself and keep it that way.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I use sugarsync - it backs up the folders I set, and I've got it set up on my laptop and my phone too, so I can upload a file to there and work on it, and then it gets saved back to the cloud so I can pick up the changes on my PC.

If I, technoidiot, can do it without losing any work or getting confused, so too can you. :D

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
you can even email to yourself and keep it that way.

That's what I do. Sometimes I email it to myself and sometimes I just upload it to Rapidshare or some other free service like that.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Emailing means I still have to save the file somewhere, attach, blah blah blah. I have my jumpdrive with me at all times but plug in, find, remember to save here and there (computer). I have tried these methods and it just gets messy for me. I think I am going to try Rapidshare. Thanks for the responses, all!

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
I just use jump drives and Google Docs. Google saves my work as I type it and, when I get a sizable chunk written, I save it to a jump drive (or two, or three).

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I use sugarsync - it backs up the folders I set, and I've got it set up on my laptop and my phone too, so I can upload a file to there and work on it, and then it gets saved back to the cloud so I can pick up the changes on my PC.

If I, technoidiot, can do it without losing any work or getting confused, so too can you. :D

I didn't understand a word of that. :tongue

I save a couple of copies on my hard drive, email myself each session's work to an address just for my work, and save to a memory stick.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Dropbox.

If you can install it on both computers, just save the files like you would regularly, but within the Dropbox folder, and they'll automatically get uploaded to the cloud for backup and also synced between both of your computers.

If you can only install it on one (e.g. locked down work computer), then at least you'll only have to manually retrieve and upload it when you work on one of them, and on the other computer you can work without having to worry about it, and it'll backup to the cloud automatically.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I've used Google Docs as well. A few years ago, it had a file size limit (I tried to do NaNoWriMo on it and had to split the file) but I discovered this year that it isn't the case anymore. Or, you can at least go up to 50k words in a single document now.

I'm paranoid about saving things only on the cloud, though, for whatever reason. I typically have it on a flash drive and both PC and laptop, but then also email the attachment to myself (from gmail to yahoo, for example) so that I can access it regardless.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I didn't understand a word of that. :tongue

Philistine :D

Basically, sugarsync and similar save what you want in the cloud, as well as on my devices. As long as I have internet, I can access what is on a device (laptop/PC/Phone) from anywhere, download it, work on it, save it back to the cloud so I can pick it up from any of my other devices.

It's like an internet documents folder. This also means if my PC blows up or my house falls down, I still have backups of my work, and can access them.

Clear as mud, right?

ETA: Dropbox is pretty near identical from what I can gather.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The 2007 and 2010 versions of MS Office (Word, in this context) are able to edit and work with documents stored in the Skydrive online storage from Microsoft.

Skydrive (and it's not alone in this) will even let you track versions of your document.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
What do you use to store/save your work on line? I am tired of using my jumpdrive. Is there a cloud-type service that is best? Thanks!

I looked for this question but couldn't find it...

I do daily backups by emailing a copy to myself every evening, and sometimes during the day. The copies will stay on the server as long as I want. Gmail has lots of storage free, more in fact than my expensive company email service.

Also, I opened a private Yahoo group in which I'm the only member, and I store things in the Files section. I post some nonsense every so often to keep the 'group' alive.

I do an external hard drive backup every two or three weeks. Finally, I have a subscription to Carbonite, which I now find essential after a hard drive crash two years ago.

LongWave

Registered
Reaction score
I e-mail everything to myself.

This is what I started doing too. I used to save to the computer and flash drive, but one fine day came along that I saved the wrong file and my jump drive crashed. I lost quite a few pages. Now I just email to myself everytime I add anything.

Swordfish

Registered
Reaction score
I second using sugarsync. We use it at work and its so much better for saving work - you only need one file

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Dropbox.

If you can install it on both computers, just save the files like you would regularly, but within the Dropbox folder, and they'll automatically get uploaded to the cloud for backup and also synced between both of your computers.

If you can only install it on one (e.g. locked down work computer), then at least you'll only have to manually retrieve and upload it when you work on one of them, and on the other computer you can work without having to worry about it, and it'll backup to the cloud automatically.

Dropbox here too. I don't even have to remember to save. I also email to myself with finished pieces.

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
Dropbox for me. Nothing could be easier. The Dropbox folder appears on every computer I access -- even my Linux machines -- and the latest save is always at hand. I don't have to do anything I would do differently than if I were just saving to my own hard drive.

I've tried Google Docs, and I don't care for it. The syncing is nice, but the file handling is clumsy and far from transparent.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
We're using Spideroak, which is a mix between a cloud backup and dropbox. You can use it as a basic backup like mozy or carbonite, but you can also have it on multiple computers and create sync folders. So I backup my entire documents folder, but I have my current projects folder set to sync to my netbook and work computer.

The advantage over drop box is while it starts at 2gb free like everyone, if you use the code "worldbackupday" you can add an additional 5gb for free and referrals are worth 1gb each. It's fairly easy to get a 10gb account completely free.

In service of me getting such a 10gb account, this is a referral link.