Favorite Laptop Keyboards?

Grunkins

Grand adventurer of the couch
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I hate the idea of buying one without being able to test the keyboard out. I plan on writing hundreds of thousands of words on it and it has to be comfortable and . . . writerly I guess, you know what I mean.

Anyone have favorite companies for keyboard quality and feel?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
In a laptop? A pox on them all. There are keyboards that I don't mind so much. But none that I like. Laptops seem to be all about the screen, and then it everything else based on that.

From a strictly keyboard perspective, I've had relatively good experiences with Acer. Lenovo (formerly IBM) Thinkpads have a satisfying "clack" as I press them.

For key layout, nothing built into a laptop has satisfied me. I prefer to go out and buy a USB keyboard. Something I call "pseudo-ergonomic."

Like this one. The keys fall right under my fingers:
http://www.frys.com/product/4560577

The ones under US$30 like this one tend to be mushy. But that's the "curviness" I'm referring to.

I can't speak to Macs. But their layout seems the same.

Grunkins

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Lenovo keyboards from a few reviews. I'll have to look more closely at them. It was my understanding that they are largely business computers (I don't even really know what that means).

Rob, I'm with you on the key layout issues on laptops. I'm planning on getting a 17" screen so I can have more of a page showing at a time, and hopefully the size allows for proper keyboard spacing.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Thinkpads ARE business laptops. They therefore come with a lot of "management" utilities included. Like a networking utility that can store location profiles and switch to the appropriate one as it detects the characteristics. Not any included games or anything like that. There's a more consumer oriented line called Ideapads. But I don't know about the keyboards there.

NOTE: I convinced my previous employer to go with Thinkpads over HP's. I don't know if that makes me biased. I'll put it out there for full disclosure.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone have favorite companies for keyboard quality and feel?
Yeah, I'm on my third Sony Vaio and the keyboard on the latest is lovely to use, even for extended periods. Has those low-profile kind of keys on it.

Mind you, I've got short, stubby fingers, my back is arched, and my arms don't hang right at the shoulders, but that keyboard is absolutely my best friend.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with robjvargas, pretty much: anything more than a couple of minutes of typing, and I'm going to want an external keyboard. It isn't just the arrangement of laptop keyboards that's annoying, it's the tactile quality, too.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
The keys on my Compaq laptop (CQ61) are great. Full-sized keys with a decent throw, despite them being low profile. I can easily pump out 5k on them with no ill effects.
I can't speak for many other brands, though, as I've had few laptops in my life.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It was my understanding that they are largely business computers (I don't even really know what that means).

Every PC vendor has both consumer-class and business-class notebooks. I recommend people always buy from the business-class lines (Dell's are the Latitude and Precision lines, HP has EliteBooks, etc.) even though they are more expensive, because they tend to be built better than the consumer-class crap.

Grunkins

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Sony VAIO F series keyboards?