• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta needed for YA Sci Fi (R&R)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Hi everyone! The past few months, I've been hard at work editing my young adult science fiction novel of about 70,000 words. I'm preparing the manuscript to send to an agent who requested to see revisions. This is the second time I've done an R&R on this project, so I'm in desperate need of a reader with fresh eyes who's comfortable with the genre and won't hold back criticism. If you think it's "better than average," but still not something you could picture on a bookshelf, I need to know that and why. (Well, I need to know if it's worse than average too, but multiple R&R's make me hope it's not.)

I have one beta-reader who is reading it in sections, but I'd also like someone who can read the piece as a whole and give me general feedback on where your interest sags, where the characters actions make no sense, ect. I'm not looking for any line-by-line editing, though certainly if you see a typo, I'd appreciate you marking it. (If you find I've made the same error multiple times, just making a "Hey, watch out for this," note is more than sufficient.) The manuscript has been checked and re-checked many times by this point, so my hope is that typos are minimal.

The query is below, as is the link to my first chapter in SYW. I am happy to exchange critiques and have a relatively open schedule at the moment. Thanks for considering!

Query:
After an accident leaves her with a partially-robotic brain, fifteen-year-old Angel Morgan doesn't exactly feel human. In fact, she doesn't feel much of anything until one incredible day when her dormant emotions begin flowing back to her.

At first, Angel enjoys her slowly-emerging emotions. But when she's transferred to an all-cyborg school, Angel's databank is not prepared for the frustration and fear that ensue. It's barely been 2.15 days when she intercepts wireless messages about school experiments being conducted on a student -- her only friend there. While logic tells Angel it's too dangerous to get involved, her emotions insist that she rescue her friend, even at the risk of her own life. If this is what it means to be human, Angel isn't so sure she wants the job.

First chapter:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248786

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds really interesting! I wouldn't mind being a beta, I have a lot of free time on my hands, haha.. xD

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Katrina,

Are you still looking for a beta? I'd be more than happy to volunteer if you're up for a swap (I'm looking for someone to review my R & R as well-it's also a YA sci-fi :)).

Slow Typist

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Katrina - if you're still looking for a beta, I'd be happy to take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.