M/M and sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once had somebody complain there wasn't any sex in my first novel, so it couldn't be classified as "M/M romance".

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I once had somebody complain there wasn't any sex in my first novel, so it couldn't be classified as "M/M romance".

Well that's absolutely ridiculous, if ever I heard something that qualifies as such. What does sex and romance have to do with one another? Often sex is a part of romance, but it isn't required for something to be a romance. That's like someone saying it isn't slash if I write a Kirk/Spock story and I don't make them have sex. Granted K/S is fanfic, but the point is the same. Someone doesn't get to say it isn't slash because there's no sex or it fades to black, and neither do they get to say something isn't M/M romance because of a lack of sex.

People are astounding, and not in a good way either.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score

Well what the hell did they think it was, then?

:crazy:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Well what the hell did they think it was, then?

:crazy:

Why, a bromance, of course! :p

(To be serious, I have seen several reviews of m/m books that complain about the lack of sex in sweeter romances, while others complain of too much sex in the more explicit ones, lol.)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just took it as "what-TF-evarz!" and went about my business. I was confused and a little upset but it let it slide off my back and occasionally tell the anecdote in situations like this.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
A few publishers are looking for 'sweet' romances. I know Riptide were in particular (possibly still are). And Dreamspinner/Torquere etc. have heat ratings on their websites so you can filter your searches.

I'm looking for a good asexual romance. That's proving quite difficult!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The last asexual romance I read was MCA Hogarth's Mindtouch. One characters is asexual, the other is very long-lived and deferring seeking sexual relationship, and it is certainly a romance.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
See, the thing is, with m/m romance, how do you find the sweeter stories among the many popular steamy ones? With m/m, I don't know if the story is one of those that have lots of explicit sex or if it will just have one sex scene, etc. The steamy ones tend to be lumped in together with the less steamy ones.

At least with m/f romances, there are imprints (or genres: some historical and inspirational fiction) dedicated to various heat levels, and I have no trouble finding less explicit ones.

With m/m, I have no clue. I know some fantasy ones are more focused on the non-sexual plot, and YA LGBT stuff tends to be less explicit.

I tried looking at blurbs and covers... but they don't always help.

It also doesn't help when many Amazon and Goodreads reviews talk about how HOT HOT HOT and SEXY the leads are in bed (or various other sex places). Sex is not bad, but some comments like that makes me feel that some m/m stories feel like they are just sexdolls for the female audience.

I'm one of those who's more for internal emotions than the sex, so it's tough to find less sexual stories. (I'm not interested in sex at all in real life, but I'm still romantic.) And some m/m don't feel...romantic, either. Other stories go the other extreme and focus on the non-romantic plots (ex: epic fantasy or mystery) to the point where I am missing the romantic elements.

At least with m/f (and YA LGBT and slash fanfiction), I can easily find stories with less explicit sex, but still contain the gooey (or gentler) romance, ya know?

I agree. It is tricky. I think I may have spidey-senses when it comes to choosing. (-: Sometimes it's just a less steamy cover that gives me hope. I actually don't want to read steamy...I'm happy with When Harry Met Harry romance...with implied sex is fine... Like I said, I'm a prude. Not into the hot and erotic stuff AT ALL. I have been burned...you can't always judge a book by its cover. I read a lot of YA...as you said, it tends to be less explicit. Also tends to be about first relationships, etc. All lovey-dovey touchy feely romance. I'm good with that. I write YA, so it doesn't hurt to read it...

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
There are certainly publishers who will look at sweeter m/m romances, which is fortunate for me because one of my works-occasionally-in-progress does have sex scenes, but not until 20k in. Which is probably not steamy enough for my usual publisher. :) I'm perfectly capable of writing stuff that's not just steamy but boundary-pushing, if that's what the story calls for. (Exhibit A, Mindscan, Exhibit B, Dolphin Dreams.) This particular novel does not have anywhere to put a sex scene earlier than 20k, and has a secondary romance which is both m/f and asexual, which is why I'm keeping a note of publishers who seem to be interested in sweeter m/m for when I finally finish the thing.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sweet M/M can also of course go to publishers of the overall genre which may or may not be romance, fantasy, literary etc.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet M/M can also of course go to publishers of the overall genre which may or may not be romance, fantasy, literary etc.

Yeah, I know some SFF stories that have gay characters. :) However, the problem with some of them is they tend to not have much of the romance aspect, focusing more on the main non-romance plot, worldbuilding and/or history, or they have too much violence for my taste. I'm the opposite of the American mentality: I'd rather have sex scenes over violent scenes, lol.

ETA: One example is the series by Lynn Flewelling. I enjoyed the first book (despite the info dumps about geography and history), but the rest of the trilogy became kind of dark and a bit too violent fory taste, and the bits of romance that was there just didn't satisfy me. :(

But then, that's why I prefer MG/YA (of multiple genres) and romance genres over adult SFF.

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading the submission guidelines for one publisher today and noticed something weird:

A level four heat level was described as stories with a high amount of erotic content, a strong focus on sexual tension, and/or "homoerotic" themes. I re-read it and, yep, apparently a story with same-sex sex scenes is automatically a level four heat level. Bizarre. What about m/m and f/f stories without sex?

GUYS. GUYS, I FOUND IT. I WAS NOT IMAGINING THINGS.

O5xEYth.png

It's Breathless Press. Same-sex material = heat level four. What do they do when someone submits m/m and f/f with no sex scenes, or few sex scenes? Do they reject it, or do they automatically categorize it as being very sexual anyway?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
For other reasons, Breathless is not on my to-query list. But this bit of nonsense would be a reason in itself. Shades of old RWA prejudices, and 'Oh, we don' t allow That Kind of Smut here.'

Now I'm curious, because I think I've seen similar language from other romance publishers.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Now I'm curious, because I think I've seen similar language from other romance publishers.

I don't know if I've seen the language, but I've definitely noted it in the ratings given. I'd say being m/m bumps books at least one level up on whatever heat scale the publisher uses.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It depends very much on the publisher. Some do not consider pairing in the heat factor at all. Others don't even have an empirical heat rating

Status
Not open for further replies.