• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chronicle Books

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I was just looking at a forum where people thought this was a great idea. Incredible.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thunder, were you surfing the Martian's Who Can't Get Dates forum again?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I read your post there, Dave, and thought I'd provide the link to Blurb's pricing:
http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing

which also doesn't include shipping. Scammity-scam-scam!

ETA: And just how long has BLURB been around to claim the second chart as their 'most popular'?

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I read your post there, Dave, and thought I'd provide the link to Blurb's pricing:
http://www.blurb.com/create/book/pricing

which also doesn't include shipping. Scammity-scam-scam!

ETA: And just how long has BLURB been around to claim the second chart as their 'most popular'?

Those prices were all for magazine and special size books-7"X7", 10X8.5, 13"X11". If those are color pages like Tiernes suggests, then the price is not so bad.

I did not see a price for trade paper, or mass market rackbacks.

Regards,
Scott

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Joseph Ternes of Chronicle Books stopped by the Writer Beware blog the other day to post the following message;

The information in the Newsweek article was incorrect. Chronicle Books will not receive a referral fee for recommending Blurb.com to aspiring authors or artists.

Just as from time to time our editors refer authors or artists to other trade houses, Blurb.com presents another option if they consider it an appropriate choice. This option will not be part of our response to every author submissions. There are many self-publishing options in the marketplace, though far fewer for illustrated book authors and artists. As an independent illustrated book publisher in San Francisco, Chronicle Books felt an affinity for the locally based Blurb.com and the quality of the product it is offering the public.

Good news!

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joseph Ternes of Chronicle Books stopped by the Writer Beware blog the other day to post the following message;

The information in the Newsweek article was incorrect. Chronicle Books will not receive a referral fee for recommending Blurb.com to aspiring authors or artists.

Just as from time to time our editors refer authors or artists to other trade houses, Blurb.com presents another option if they consider it an appropriate choice. This option will not be part of our response to every author submissions. There are many self-publishing options in the marketplace, though far fewer for illustrated book authors and artists. As an independent illustrated book publisher in San Francisco, Chronicle Books felt an affinity for the locally based Blurb.com and the quality of the product it is offering the public.

Good news!

Hmm...I rec'd something on my blog yesterday from him, too.

I'll have to go check and see if he sent the same thing.

~Nancy

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
That would be a pretty significant error. I wonder what was said to give Newsweek the purportedly mistaken impression an "undisclosed cut of the earnings generated from the new accounts" would change hands. And whether it came from Chronicle or Blurb.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Regardless of Joseph's comments, I still think this is a very bad idea, for all the reasons outlined here all ready. It might earn Chronicle a bit of extra money but it's going to be very detrimental to their reputation. A shame, as when I worked with them a few years ago they were one of the most exacting, caring publishers out there.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This still doesn't smell purdy, to me. Then again, my opinion and $2.47 will get you a double-tall soy latte. :Shrug:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
As I asked on my blog, why would a publisher (small or large) direct a person who's obivously seeking commercial publication toward a vanity press?

Uncle Jim always points out that a manuscript publishable by one is publishable by many. Shouldn't that apply here? If not, what are they saying . . . "Your stuff isn't good enough/right for us, but here's this vanity press that will publish you out of the goodness of their heart (no matter that they're hyper-expensive)"?

Something still doesn't feel right.

As one of my former commanders-in-chief said, "Trust . . . but verify".

I think this one requires keeping an eye on.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I agree. Chronicle can say a book is not good for them, why is it their business to even imply it needs to go to a whole different (and less profitable) business model.

jessicamb

Registered
Reaction score
Chronicle update?

Hi. I was researching Chronicle for a picture book manuscript I was thinking about submitting and came across this thread and the Writer's Beware blog post. I was wondering if anyone has updated information about Chronicle's policy of sending authors onto Blurb and whether there is anything else to watch out for before deciding on submitting to them.

Thanks,
Jessica

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious myself. Anyone hear anything else re: their "partnership"?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Go here, to Publisher's Weekly, for more info on Chronicle Books.
It's interesting that they're acquiring Handprint, but I didn't see anything on their (continuing?) association with Blurb. Did I miss it?

ap0110

Registered
Reaction score
Chronicle Books Gift Division

Has anyone else had a problem with Chronicle Books, specifically the Gift Division? Their site lists guidelines for submitting unsolicited gift proposals (like card decks and other specialty items), which would imply that they're open to unsolicited proposals. However, they have a policy of not acknowledging receipt of submissions at any time during the 3-month review cycle. When I checked in during that time, I was told to wait until the review cycle was over and check back. So I did.

It's now been seven months since I submitted a proposal (with samples and glowing testimonials from published authors) and I still haven't gotten confirmation that my package even made it to their offices. I checked back 3 months ago and was told that they don't look up the status of unsolicited proposals but that my request would be forwarded to the editorial department. After that - nothing.

I'm a bit confused. Is this how proposals are typically handled in the industry? I don't mind waiting - they've been my top choice. But how can I find out whether or not my proposal was tossed in the trash the moment it arrived or lost in the mail? I don't want to be a pest, I just want to make sure it's at least in someone's slush pile somewhere.

I also need a reality check. I have enough published friends to be somewhat familiar with the process of publishing a novel. But this is new to me. I've never heard of a publisher stonewalling authors like this.

Thanks

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
'Allo? Anyone? Where's all our non-fiction folks?
att.gif

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else had a problem with Chronicle Books, specifically the Gift Division? Their site lists guidelines for submitting unsolicited gift proposals (like card decks and other specialty items), which would imply that they're open to unsolicited proposals. However, they have a policy of not acknowledging receipt of submissions at any time during the 3-month review cycle. When I checked in during that time, I was told to wait until the review cycle was over and check back. So I did.

It's now been seven months since I submitted a proposal (with samples and glowing testimonials from published authors) and I still haven't gotten confirmation that my package even made it to their offices. I checked back 3 months ago and was told that they don't look up the status of unsolicited proposals but that my request would be forwarded to the editorial department. After that - nothing.

I'm a bit confused. Is this how proposals are typically handled in the industry? I don't mind waiting - they've been my top choice. But how can I find out whether or not my proposal was tossed in the trash the moment it arrived or lost in the mail? I don't want to be a pest, I just want to make sure it's at least in someone's slush pile somewhere.

I also need a reality check. I have enough published friends to be somewhat familiar with the process of publishing a novel. But this is new to me. I've never heard of a publisher stonewalling authors like this.

Thanks

I recently found out that the person I dealt with at Chronicle (and the head of the gift department) left the company at least a few months ago. She'd been there forever. I have no idea what's going on with Chronicle now.