Registered
Reaction score

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
(ii) I believe when book buyers go to Amazon etc they alreay know what they are looking for.

I've got to disagree with this point, based on my own personal experience. I often browse Amazon (as well as Barnes & Noble's website), looking for new books. I look based on the books I've purchased and what's recommended (Amazon's recommendation engine is really good), and I do general searches.

I think the ebook market has really made an impact on how people shop for books online. I've always browsed for non-fiction books online, but now I'm looking for fiction in the same way.

I have to disagree with what the article was saying about reviews and recommendations being less important, though. Those are the two of the biggest factors in influencing what I purchase online (as well as a sample or the "look inside" function on Amazon).

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've got to disagree with this point, based on my own personal experience. I often browse Amazon (as well as Barnes & Noble's website), looking for new books. I look based on the books I've purchased and what's recommended (Amazon's recommendation engine is really good), and I do general searches.

I think the ebook market has really made an impact on how people shop for books online. I've always browsed for non-fiction books online, but now I'm looking for fiction in the same way.

I have to disagree with what the article was saying about reviews and recommendations being less important, though. Those are the two of the biggest factors in influencing what I purchase online (as well as a sample or the "look inside" function on Amazon).

But you've just contradicted yourself. You say you browse Amazon [I never browse Amazon] and you are influenced by reviews and recommendations [or are you just refering to Amazon reviews and recommendations.]

I believe the research is talking about reviews and recommendations in magazines and the press. There are two books I'm waiting to be published, I discovered both through author interviews - one in Writing Magazine, the other in Mslexia.

Ebook reviews on Amazon I am suspicious of, especially if there are only a few.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I browse Amazon most of the time without a specific purchase in mind. I check 'recommended for you' at least once a week. I also often go to the page of a book I love and use the 'similar books' tool.

Jettica

Superfluously multisyllabic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jetink.blogspot.com
I look at the lists too. Very helpful, especially if I'm looking for books in a certain genre.

The recommendations tool is so useful. Even if I go onto Amazon for a specific book I'll also check through my recommendations to see if there's anything else I want.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
But you've just contradicted yourself. You say you browse Amazon [I never browse Amazon] and you are influenced by reviews and recommendations [or are you just refering to Amazon reviews and recommendations.]

I believe the research is talking about reviews and recommendations in magazines and the press. There are two books I'm waiting to be published, I discovered both through author interviews - one in Writing Magazine, the other in Mslexia.

Ebook reviews on Amazon I am suspicious of, especially if there are only a few.

I meant the reviews and recommended books on Amazon. The thing is, though, that I don't just have one way of finding books to read. I don't think most people who read often only have one way of finding books. They're looking for books all the time, from a variety of sources.

What was interesting, to me at least, about that article was that they indicated price was the main factor. For me, price is pretty much the least of my considerations when I'm buying a book.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I browse Amazon most of the time without a specific purchase in mind. I check 'recommended for you' at least once a week. I also often go to the page of a book I love and use the 'similar books' tool.

This. And I love the Listmania function.

ETA: responding to the above, price isn't the reason I buy something. It might be the reason I DON'T buy something (too high) but I never buy just because it's cheap.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I browse Amazon quite regularly ( i put in a very very specific genre for ex, an see hwat has those keyword/tags)

If I'm looking for something specific re title/author, I order at my local bookshop. I only buy from amazon if bookshop can't get it in. (ebooks I prefer to get straight from pub, when I can)

Status
Not open for further replies.