Not open for further replies.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
On the one hand this sounds awesome, on the other I just hate how this takes away the concept of browsing. I suppose in theory you could flip through different titles on screen, but I love standing at a shelf and then seeing something out of the corner of my eye and going over to that book to check it out.
Yeah, that's generally how i shop for books. I only occasionally go into a bookstore with a book already in mind. I just love looking at covers and reading blurbs and flicking to random places in the book and reading a paragraph.

I can see the usefulness of this at, as has already been mentioned, airports, train stations, etc, but i'm not sure it'll get much past the university 'cutting-edge' appeal.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm still banking on the ebook readers being bigger than this. The technology is advancing much faster these days, and Amazon's sold A LOT of units. They'll get cheaper the longer they're on the market, and like the CD and DVD player, the iPod and the cell phone, soon most people will have or want one.

I want one. I don't mind reading 'on screen', but my laptop's backlight causes eye strain. Kindle, Sony, Cybook - not backlit. Rather than look to buy a book in the airport, I can download one from the runway using Amazon's wi-fi. Don't even have to stand in line.

I don't think paper will ever go away - so maybe this machine will be useful for those few books I want in paper. I do like a nice collection of books by people I know.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Boston.com posted a video of the thing in action today. Still nothing I could find on the price of the books though.

(vid is 4:47 long)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

Deleted member 42

Except--the books are sorta crappy, and priced like POD books always are; very expensive.

Talisman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.juneaustin.co.uk
For those of you in the UK, Blackwells are currently giving the machine a trial in their Charing Cross store. I hear that it is doing very well, but have not been in to see it myself, as it is too much of a drag to get to London very often, and I am not a city person !

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi

Deleted member 42

There are Expresso Book Machines at a lot of campuses.

It's pretty cool for things like readers for classes, but the books are not durable -- and unless you typeset the file and select the correct trim size, it's a raw dump.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
From this year-old video of the earlier model machine (looks virtually the same), production costs are "a penny a page" (that seems pretty cheap to me!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q946sfGLxm4
But I'm guessing that's just the raw cost of paper, toner and supplies for the machine, not the amortized cost of the machine, the floor space it takes up, nor what a retail outlet will charge over and above those costs. The retail price could be quite high until there's one of these in every major bookstore, copy shop and office supply store.

According to this radio interview in February, "there's only nine in the world, this is one of only two in Canada riight now..." (of these types of machines, or of that particular model, or what?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LosUoiyUToQ

Lots more videos with this youtube search:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=espresso+book

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone ever think that "shareware" books might catch on?

Seems like e-books are getting bigger and bigger, and the one disadvantage to shopping online is that you rarely get an opportunity to really see what it's about, Amazon offers the "see the first few pages" thing, but that's pretty limited.

I could almost see people offering the first few chapters online as they're written (almost like a serialized thing) as a sort of preview, then if after 30~ pages you really like it, you could buy the full thing.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
According to the list....the U of A here in Tucson will have one this year at their bookstore. Interesting. I may have to check this out. I will let you know what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.