Changing file from pdf to doc or docx?

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
A search on Google brings up a bunch of pdf to word converters. You can also do it with the ebook conversion tools in the program Calibre.

At least with Calibre, expect a fair amount of editing. No idea about the online ones.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have used one of these converters, several years ago, out of a business necessity. It worked decently, although it was a bit fiddly and unintuitive. And, yes, a careful copy-edit was necessary. My experience is that they work a lot like scanners do with physical text, which is always less than perfect, and varies according to font. But I'm sure there are better ones out there than those I used five or six years ago.

caw

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
There are apps for that. :) One I use is PDF to Word. However, you are asking an application to change a picture into text. That's a bugger of a big chore, and it is usually done poorly. If it's a small file, that's one thing, but if you are thinking of converting something like a book, well good luck.

I loathe PDF, never work with it, use a converter only for smaller files.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you have OpenOffice, or, better, LibreOffice, it's easy. Just open the PDF in LibreOffice, and then save it as a Word file.

LibreOffice is free, and it does no harm to have it on your computer. Many write with it, rather than with Word.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
If you have OpenOffice, or, better, LibreOffice, it's easy. Just open the PDF in LibreOffice, and then save it as a Word file.

LibreOffice is free, and it does no harm to have it on your computer. Many write with it, rather than with Word.
Well, I'll be. Didn't know that would work. Huh.

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
As a regular user of Libre Office, I hate to cast aspersions on it, but it is NOT a great tool for converting PDF to Word. It makes a right mess of it. You will get a thousand text boxes, one for every line.

I would use Calibre. It is a highly intelligent converter. You do have to play with the settings to get the best results with some formats. Convert to RTF, then if you need doc or docx continue with either Word OR Libre Office.