Picking back up the Pen (keyboard)

Vindemia

Registered
Reaction score
I used to write quite heavily when I was younger, and had reasonable success, in that people other than my parents commented positively on it.

During college, I attempted poetry and short stories, and soon found that I probably wasn't quite as deep as I thought I was.

I've always wanted to write a novel, though, and quite luckily, my chosen genre also matches my profession quite well... I'm an SF geek.

Last night I was lamenting the lack of good novels in one of my favorite sub-genres, stories about a Space-Ark, or Generation Ship. I read a comment somewhere that said something to the effect of: "If you can't find the book you want to read, you should write it yourself."

Anyways, here I am. I've got a concept, I've got a few rough characters, and I've started writing. So far I have a few pages, and I think that it's pretty good... but I don't know that it's good.

So, as I said, here I am.

I realize that it's not good form to come asking for a bunch of help without giving some first, and so I will cheerfully work my way to 50 posts, while continuing work on my fetal novel. I plan on sticking around after 50 posts, hopefully long after.

Nice to meet you all. :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Vindemia!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

Vindemia

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the greetings. :)

I am trying to wind myself up to post some critiques, but to be honest, I am a bit intimidated by some folks' use of literary terminology. I feel like most of the SYW have critiques that are a tough act to follow.

I have a good general gut feeling about how things should be, but I don't have the education to express it properly.

Interestingly enough, it's the same exact problem I have at work.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Space-arks sound like a fun thing to explore.

Vindemia

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Space-arks sound like a fun thing to explore.

Thank you, I think so too. I hope I'll be able to do justice to the much-neglected Sci-Fi subgenre.

I find the idea of a completely isolated population of humans to be fascinating, and there are so many different ways one could go to develop that. I only hope that my novice writing abilities are up to the task.

At least I seem to do fairly well with self-editing, but that isn't worth a whole lot, if you don't have any material to edit. :)

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
Welcome, Vindemia. Just so you know, something about the very tiny mention of your project made me want to know more. GL with it!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

jackdomino

28 tiles, such a wonderful game...
Registered
Reaction score
Currently the Garden State but trying to book a fl
I used to write quite heavily when I was younger, and had reasonable success, in that people other than my parents commented positively on it.

During college, I attempted poetry and short stories, and soon found that I probably wasn't quite as deep as I thought I was.

I've always wanted to write a novel, though, and quite luckily, my chosen genre also matches my profession quite well... I'm an SF geek.

Last night I was lamenting the lack of good novels in one of my favorite sub-genres, stories about a Space-Ark, or Generation Ship. I read a comment somewhere that said something to the effect of: "If you can't find the book you want to read, you should write it yourself."

Anyways, here I am. I've got a concept, I've got a few rough characters, and I've started writing. So far I have a few pages, and I think that it's pretty good... but I don't know that it's good.

So, as I said, here I am.

I realize that it's not good form to come asking for a bunch of help without giving some first, and so I will cheerfully work my way to 50 posts, while continuing work on my fetal novel. I plan on sticking around after 50 posts, hopefully long after.

Nice to meet you all. :)

I know that feeling. This definitely feels like the place to come to hone your story to a fine edge.
Welcome!

Nick12

Registered
Reaction score
I like where you're coming from, Vindemia. Doesn't sound too unlike my own bio. Looking forward to reading more.

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
Hey, welcome to the forums. Yeah, your first draft is never that good - but it's not supposed to be. You are welcome to share your work too - I did and I got some (heavy) pointers, but it was some solid advice.
Enjoy and have a good week.