Meth or Cocaine and Driving

Basenjichaos

Registered
Reaction score
I am so grateful for this site. I can ask questions that would make the people in my life seriously concerned about me!

Can someone on meth or cocaine operate a car and abduct someone without getting pulled over? How much rational thought does the drug take away from tasks that involve planning and judgment? Would the character need to be on the end of a high?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It will depend upon the individual - and what your story needs, of course. Both drugs are stimulants, so operating a motor vehicle - albeit impaired - is within the realm of plausibility, as well as abducting someone.

A character's rational thought process and subsequent discretionary behaviour is up to you, the author. How focused or distracted he/she is in any given scene is your prerogative. Blame the drugs - or not. Just make it interesting and pace it well.

lance.schukies

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
a few professional drivers take meth , a high on coke does not last as long as meth and costs more, so it only depends on the character income bracket,

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Thanks for the Google link, Lance. You'll notice your own post in this thread is fourth on that list of results - which is exactly why I ask for sources to back up the claim. Anybody can post an unsubstantiated claim and have it rank highly on a search engine.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I am so grateful for this site. I can ask questions that would make the people in my life seriously concerned about me!

Can someone on meth or cocaine operate a car and abduct someone without getting pulled over? How much rational thought does the drug take away from tasks that involve planning and judgment? Would the character need to be on the end of a high?

I can only answer that from personal experience. People on meth or coke can drive quite well. I don't know about them abducting someone, but they generally can think in logical ways; although their logic may be tainted. As for the judgement of someone on coke or meth, that's a moral judgement, so I won't touch it.

Last edited:

lance.schukies

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Thanks for the Google link, Lance. You'll notice your own post in this thread is fourth on that list of results - which is exactly why I ask for sources to back up the claim. Anybody can post an unsubstantiated claim and have it rank highly on a search engine.

that why we should not trust everything we read on the internet, btw this thread was the 10th link in my result, Google base there results on results that you click, so it says you trust this site more than me.

you also should be happy that Google value this site so well to rank it on the first page for such threads.

but in my search results I did see studies and personal experiences that backed up my post.

and because it is a public forum and this topic is about a illegal matter, I will keep my replies to what other people have already said.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone on meth or cocaine operate a car and abduct someone without getting pulled over?

Sure, if there are no cops around, which there usually aren't. I drive every day, and never cease to be amazed at the number of drivers with non-functioning taillights or headlights (the very thing that got Walter Scott killed by a cop in South Carolina this past week), driving erratically while either drunk or texting (what the hell else are they looking down at their hands for?), speeding, sudden unsignaled lane changes or turns, any number of obvious and dangerous driving violations, and no police around.

Then I remembered my favorite coffee shop in town, where I can usually find a police car parked.

caw

Last edited:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
that why we should not trust everything we read on the internet, btw this thread was the 10th link in my result, Google base there results on results that you click, so it says you trust this site more than me.

you also should be happy that Google value this site so well to rank it on the first page for such threads.

I am. And since you seem to have missed the purpose of my comment, it was also a gentle reminder that this forum is very public and can easily be found by anyone with a simple search. As a result, I will continue to ask people to validate claims for the very reason you highlighted -- you should not trust everything you read online.

but in my search results I did see studies and personal experiences that backed up my post.
As did I. I wasn't questioning the validity of your link (although as you've indicated, linking to a Google search doesn't necessarily show the same information to everybody), but asking that you provide substance to your replies, quoting relevant information or personal experience where appropriate. Please do this going forward. Linking directly to the information or providing personal example is preferred.

and because it is a public forum and this topic is about a illegal matter, I will keep my replies to what other people have already said.

Matchu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.drysailorboy.wordpress.com
German fighter pilots and tank crews were issued methamphetamine in WW2. The Allies had only amphetamine.

If you wanted to research this aspect of usage I would look on the 'Axis War Forum.'

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
And don't forget that Sherlock Holmes was in the habit of injecting a 7% solution of cocaine for thinking.

Novelist_Wannabe

Registered
Reaction score

Where I grew up, it was common knowledge that long-haul truck drivers would dissolve methamphetamine in soft drinks, and sip it over the course of their drive (less intense high but longer duration compared to snorting, smoking or injecting). It was the only way to meet schedules which often required someone to drive a truck for 60 hours continuously without sleep.

In general, methamphatamine makes someone fixate on one activity and do it for a long time (we're talking 8-12 hours). Examples I've seen include dancing the exact same steps over and over all night, cleaning the house, collecting shellfish (which you then might not even eat because the drug suppresses appetite), having sex that doesn't lead to climax, walking or driving along the same street / block looking for a specific person / group of people (ex-girlfriend or rival gang members), talking about the same thing over and over. It is popular among jobs such as computer programmers and film editors, since their work involves long hours of repetitive tasks.

It is plausible that it could make someone want to carry out a kidnapping. It makes people violent and paranoid. They often believe that friends are secretly plotting against them, or that the police / rival gang members are about to raid their house. Occasionally this even gets to the point where they stab random strangers in the street. This paranoid behaviour tends to increase the longer the user has gone without sleep (the drug has a long duration of action, and often users will take another dose before the first one has worn off, doing this for up to a week and then sleeping for 24-48 hours solid).

Regarding planning things, someone on methamphetamine can invest huge amounts of time and effort into planning something. But at the same time they often completely forget about critical details (like Homer Simpson's "D'Oh" moments). A real life example was two people from my high school, who were arrested for murdering their dealer. They hadn't thought about what to do with the body or the murder weapon, even though they had planned out the whole thing in advance.

Can't talk about cocaine in the same detail, but I know not only costs more per dose than methamphetamine, but each dose wears off much more quickly (under an hour vs. many hours). Users that are high on it don't have the same level of focus as methamphetamine users. They could still drive a car though.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Years ago I worked in a machine shop in the quality control department. I don't know what his drug of choice was, but we had one guy who was a fantastic machinist - when he was high. When he wasn't, he made junk. Go figure.