• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writing issues or mental illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tygar

Registered
Reaction score
Hey I am not qualified to post in the critique section yet as I have not reached the number of posts.

I am having some problems with my writing recently and NO ONE can tell me what and how I should improve on a very big problem.

A critique did note that I was writing as if I was in person rather than showing the character POV. But how do I tell in person from character POV?

I have a short draft but I am not sure I am allowed to post here or not

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand the relationship between the title of the thread and the content of the post, but I'll address the content. My suggestion to you is this:

Go to SYW and critique works that have been put up. This will do you three favors: a) it will increase your involvement in the community, and b) increase your post count. More importantly, c) critiquing the writing of others should help with your own writing skills, and you may in fact find you can solve some of your own problems.

You can also interact with the community and increase your post count in other places, but this will help you the most.

Once your post count is high enough, you can post for your own feedback.

Unfortunately I don't understand what "as if I was in person rather than showing the character POV" means, so I don't know how to address that, but if you can describe more clearly what issue you're having there, you might ask in Basic Writing Questions.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get the title either. Not getting critiques is signs of mental illness? If so, that's offensive.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see what mental illness has to do with any of this. Very misleading.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I think this is a two-fold question:

First, are you wondering if you're having trouble seeing where your writing needs help perhaps because of you have mental health issues (and you need someone to help you differentiate between that or just having plain ol' writer's block)?

And because of that, you need input on the draft but can't post in SYW yet and want to post here?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean, or what the critiquer meant. Can you give some clarification?

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think your mental health is affecting your ability to write, or that it is preventing you from understanding what people are saying in their critiques? If not, I don't see what mental illness has to do with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.