Ooooh, an interesting nuance on the U.S. Senate, that I was unaware of

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Take minor heart, Republicans. This, from Chuck Todd, of MSN (whom you all revile, but who has been detestably the most accurate predictorial political pundit all this year), concerning the Delaware Senate Seat|:

Delaware: I think we can safely assume that Joe Biden will win re-election. (Don't forget, he's on the ballot twice in the state because his seat is up). The state's electing a new governor with Democrat Jack Markell the likely victor. The real intrigue in this state begins on Nov. 5 if the Obama-Biden ticket wins. There will be a Senate appointment. Who will get the gig? The unofficial politician who should be next in line is Republican Mike Castle. Of course, a Democratic governor wouldn't appoint a Republican, but it probably means Castle will challenge whoever gets appointed unless Biden talks Castle into switching parties.

The link on Todd's commentary:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27478547

Pay particular attention to Hawaii, where Todd notably mentions Republican Governor Linda Lingle. She's a lot more interesting than Sarah Palin, frankly, if not so Barbie-doll looking. Interesting.

caw

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I just don't understand this part of the process. So people re-elect Biden, but the seat is now empty. Why an appointment? Why give that power to the governor? Where is the people in that? They didn't elect whomever the governor would pick... but then who should take the seat? The guy who is the runner-up? But the people didn't choose him either.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
It's just the rules Ray.....

Governor gets to pick..... I agree not really fait to the peop's but what else is new....

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Why give that power to the governor? Where is the people in that?
Because in theory, the people chose the governor?

Would the people really like to foot the bill for setting up a special election to fill a seat for the remainder of the term? How long would the candidates have to announce themselves for a special election? How long would they get to campaign?

By then, the term would almost be over, I figure...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I was under the impression that Biden was up for re-election. Now if it's just to fill the seat until the term is over, that's something else.

Delaware: I think we can safely assume that Joe Biden will win re-election. (Don't forget, he's on the ballot twice in the state because his seat is up).

Chances are, Delawarians are not going to elect a Republican to replace Biden after his six terms in the Senate. Still, I'd think they would want a say in WHO exactly (even if it stays in the Democratic column) should fill that seat. The idea that they elected the governor and so the governor has the right to appoint a Senator (not state senator) is absurd to me. Senators are elected, not appointed. I mean, why not just let all governors appoint Senators then? Save ourselves a lot of campaigning and money.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I just don't understand this part of the process. So people re-elect Biden, but the seat is now empty. Why an appointment? Why give that power to the governor?

Because. In Delaware, dems' da rools, apparently. That used to be the rule in my state (Alaska), too, until previous Gov. Frank Murkowski, elected while serving in the U.S. Senate, appointed his own daughter to fill his vacated seat. That caused an uproar that even his own party faithful joined in, and legislation got passed mandating a special election in future instances. But every state gets to make its own rules.

And I don't know how either Illinois or Arizona work, but one of them is going to get a new Senator as well.

caw

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Still, I'd think they would want a say in WHO exactly (even if it stays in the Democratic column) should fill that seat. The idea that they elected the governor and so the governor has the right to appoint a Senator (not state senator) is absurd to me. Senators are elected, not appointed. I mean, why not just let all governors appoint Senators then? Save ourselves a lot of campaigning and money.
Missouri went through a similar situation back in 2000 when a deceased candidate won the race (because his name had to remain on the ticket) and his wife was appointed to fill her husband's seat. It's all about the rules of the state.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

And never forget, the illustrious John Ashcroft lost his senate seat to a dead man (killed in a plane crash). And then almost didn't get confirmed as Attorney General by his own ex-colleagues in the Senate, which says a lot about what they thought of him.

And then got replaced, via GWBush nomination, by somebody even more spectacularly unqualified and incompetent.

Ah, those were the days . . .

caw