Freelance writing at all lucrative right now?

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a writer and editor in some capacity for the last 20 years, but 97% of it has been as an employee. The only freelance writing I did was novels and short stories. I sold some short stories and a couple articles, but I didn't worry about it because I (almost) always had a job.

But it's been a year and a half, and the writing/editing job market seems to have dried up and blown away! So now I'm turning to freelance writing (and editing) in earnest, with the idea that if there's the potential to bring in some money, any money, it's worth pursuing. And it sure beats digging ditches for a living.

But am I fooling myself? Grasping at straws? Can I make money freelancing? Could I make enough to cover my mortgage and bills? How soon?

I know they always say don't quit your day job, but I don't even have a day job to quit!

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
You're not the only one who's been forced into a freelance career. I just wrote about this on my blog actually...

http://writersresidence.com/blog/2009/02/06/are-you-an-accidental-freelancer/

Here's an interesting statistic: one third of Americans are now working either freelance or two jobs, with nearly one in two (45%) taking on these additional positions in the last six months.

But that wasn't your question! Can you really make a living? Yes, BUT you have to be flexible. I WISH I were making enough money to support myself by writing for newspapers and magazines alone. But I'm still new at this and I know it's gonna take some building up my portfolio before I start seeing those regular, high-paying gigs. In the meantime, I do freelance writing for corporate clients. For example, I currently write market research reports for a social media monitoring company. Next week I'm meeting with someone about writing some instructional material for a finance company. Both of these gigs came about because I have a math background and they needed someone with some technical know-how to write reports.

I guess my point is - you have to leverage your strengths and experiences and make them fit into the writing world. The good news is that there's always writing that needs to be done in most fields. Math, science, academia, training, agriculture, etc... and if you've already been a writer/editor, then you're way ahead of the game.

I say go for it!

Monica

Proach

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deannasworks.synthasite.com
There is, I've discovered lots of writing gigs on the internet. These gigs range from low to high pay, and if you could write for three or more of them at the same time, that could bring you a decent income over time. I'm currently doing the same thing at the moment.

Personal Website: www.deannasworks.synthasite.com
http://medievalhistory.suite101.com

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I prefer print gigs, but I've had some of my regular markets fold and others are becoming slow to pay. I'm still making $$, but not enough to live on (fortunately I have two other jobs). I'm doing a little online work, most noteably Examiner.com and Demand Studios. I'm liking Examiner best and have built up some decent page hits there, but again, not enough to live on. More like gas and grocery money.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Like Barb, I'm making money, but not enough to live on. But I also have other jobs.

I think it's going to get more challenging this year. That's why I work hard to maintain my good, ongoing relationships with eds./clients and drop the non-lucrative, late-paying and high-maintenance, p-i-a ones.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an interesting statistic: one third of Americans are now working either freelance or two jobs, with nearly one in two (45%) taking on these additional positions in the last six months.

Interesting. Can you kindly indicate where it came from, and the context/date?

Thanks.

speel00

Registered
Reaction score
Yes you can, but it takes time. You have to build up your writing career and that alone can be hard. I know some good sites that can help you start your portfolio that I have either used or heard of people using to get started with. Just remember this, keep applying and keep working at it. It will pay off!

Good luck!

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
Time, I don't have.

I've spent the last 20 years as a writer and editor, but very little of that has been freelance. I have quite a few books about writing, but they all either have significant gaps, or the advice they give isn't helpful. It's exasperating.

christa

talk to the dog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christakolster.com
It's been a long, hard, freelancing road, but I'm actually doing better now than ever. It helps to establish some clientele who will keep you in steady work--in spite of the economy; even because of the economy! I've found it's a great time to have grant writing skills, for instance. Adding a few decent assignments, a few trade-magazine regulars and upkeep on on-going (new) pitches, keeps the morgage paid and wine cellar stocked. Being the "creative" namby-pamby I am, initially I balked at what I considered "boring" assignments. I eventually learned it is precisely these sorts which make it possible to freelance successfully...

Henri Bauholz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zenloonatic.blogspot.com
I just finished up my taxes for 2008. It wasn't a great year for me, but I did have to pay self-employment taxes on my writing. This is a first for me and I just might go out and celebrate a little since I still get a refund from my regular job. This current year is starting out better than last, so I hope things continue to improve.

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
My print & online mags are definitely cutting back, but I've used the downtime to build my blogs, write for Suite101, and work on my book proposal. Like Deanna (I think -- Proach?) said, creating multiple streams of income is the best.

I haven't branched into corporate or business writing, but I know that's still viable. Many businesses are still willing to put money into their marketing and client relations, as they do have to spend money to make it! So that may be an option....

Wendy J

Life Is Like A Box Of Choc.
Registered
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods it seems the print markets are really being impacted by the economy. I freelance for two local print markets in my area and they're slowing down. This time last year I was strictly print and no online work. Now it's about 50/50.

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, print markets are definately struggling more than in recent years (seems like every week another newspaper vanishes, including some large ones), but online markets are thriving. I'm working more than ever, and can support myself well on freelance income alone. It's all about the type of writing you want to do, how quickly you can produce high quality work, and what you're willing to do for different markets. It does take time, yes, and I've been writing for five and a half years, but the real pickup has only been in about the past three years.

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
This topic has been covered a few times in other threads but the general answer is there is money to be made in freelance writing. It can not be made over night but will take some time to build up a reputation, connctions and clients. Our freelance writing income doubled last year and my wife is a full time freelance writer so while some avenues struggle, others get created.