The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so my !! news just got even better today! :) Can't wait to share the details, they tell me I can spill after Labor Day! (I had to say "something" though cause its killing me not to! LOL

Woohoo! I remember that feeling. My offer came in early June, and I wasn't allowed to say anything until just a few weeks ago. I was DYING. Keeping that stuff inside is so hard! And you know what? My contract still hasn't come (in its final form, at least). God help me if my agent had said I couldn't announce the news until after I signed the contract!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
A total segue here -- what the heck ever happened to Miss Plum? Anyone know? Man, I miss that avatar of hers.

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Peggy. I was not long ago PMing with a writer in another thread about Miss. Plum, both of us wondering where she'd gone. I've not heard where she's at, but I sincerely hope it's not bad news that's kept her away. I miss her being around. I swore I had her email address, but I can't for the life of me find it. I'm going to scour my old PMs later and see if I can track it down.

If you're out there Miss. Plum. Come back! We miss you :Hug2:

Sweet Tea

Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!
Registered
Reaction score
WOW - I was just thinking about her the other day, as well, when I was going thru some other threads. I miss her wit and wisdom, plus I would love to know how things are going with her project.

Working from home today, and taking a wee lunch break - want to squeeze in a few words on the rewrites - gawd, I wish I had about 2 weeks off from work, so I could get this finished and back into agent's hands.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reviewing the author's copy -- a cautionary note to all of you. After all the careful copy-editing we did, there were still some typos, some things the copy-editor and I had discussed that didn't find their way into the ms, and lots of formatting errors. It took about a day and a half to work through it twice. Now, off to the proof-reader!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Backing up Peggy, here...after many many many rounds of editing with me and my agent, a very careful line edit by the editor, and an extremely thorough edit by a copy editor, I found a continuity error just sitting there that all of us had missed.

Books are long. These things happen...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Same here. I was checking something in Book 1 to make sure it matched something in Book 2, and caught a misspelled surname--for a character mentioned exactly twice in the book. :rolleyes: this was after 2 rounds of edits, 2 of copyedits, and three separate emails dealing with little things.

We're all human. :)

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the things that popped up had been addressed in the copy edit but somehow didn't show up in the final version sent to me. So it just means you have to be really, really careful and not assume that the final copy edit contains everything you and your editor discussed/changed.

And I still made tweaks irrespective of all of that -- last chance!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, Lisa and Peggy - are all stages of your edits hard copy, or were any of them electronic?

Got an update from the agent. Still waiting on a couple of responses, including an older one that's prohibiting us from going to other imprints of one of the Big 6. *smiles patiently* I'm trying to amuse myself with the contradictory rejections I've received.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
They were all electronic, although I printed off the one I got from my copy editor and retyped the changes I agreed with into my original ms as "track changes" doesn't let you see what's been replaced with a suggested change unless you reject it. I wanted to see what I'd put originally and compare that with what he was proposing.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Btw, I am now on Twitter (again) as @peggy_blair (someone took my unhyphenated name while I was away, drat!). Follow me so I can follow you back!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I will have to change my signature block!

I will follow you O/L, thanks!

Exciting day today. Spoke to the folks at marketing and discovered that TBO will be on the front cover of Penguin's rights catalogue. It's going to be their lead book for spring, 2012!!!!!!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
AWESOME, Peggy!

And I think you'll like Twitter. It's actually been very useful for me. Be sure to set up searches on your name and book title. They pick up stuff that Google alerts don't, and some of the catches have been great.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
You just do a search and then it gives you the option to save it and appears under "saved searches" or some such (it's a little different with New Twitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.