Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
:e2cry:

I missed all the fun! Stupid Australian time zone. :(

I had to go to bed early last night for Uni this morning, didn't have time to come online this morning, and just got home and - it's all over. *cries*

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AWESOME!

unimportant random question: If this thief is caught will the avis be returned or are we responsible for that?

Taken care of :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As always, April Fool's was lots of fun. Thanks to all the AWers for being good sports. :Thumbs:

[Now, I suggest we create a masterplan for stealing Susie's chocolate cake. We must have our revenge. :D]

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I warned them not to take my butterfly. Now look what it's done to the world!

Anyway, I don't believe this solution. No one who works with chocolate and makes cakes could ever be this malicious and greedy. They're all holy, blameless people--

Oh, Food Network Challenge is on. Excuse me.

(1 hour later).

Forget what I said. Book her.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
hey, all, glad yah enjoyed 'n yer not too po'd. :D Richard, I don't make chokolit, I just eat it and share it with youz guyz. :D Hope y'all had fun! :Hug2:s :Cake:s :Cake:s :Cake:s!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
B-b-b-ut...

S-s-s-usie?

Why is it always the nice ones?

Well, honestly, I can believe it. She kept sending me suspicious reps. :) I should've known. I think it was the cake that distracted me.

Cake... :drool

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Luv to make truffles, yum. *shudders at being chewed at by yo' eyelid monster* :D :Cake:s!

Recipe.

24 ounces good quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate.
1/2 to 1 cup heavy cream (depending on how soft you like truffles).
Confectioner's Sugar to taste.
Cocoa for rolling the truffles.
0 Eyelid Monsters.

Chop up the chocolate and put it in the top of a double boiler (bottom should have water in it) with the cream.

Add no eyelid monsters.

Bring the double boiler to a simmer. Whisk the chocolate and cream together until they form a smooth monotone, yummy looking mass.

Continue to not add eyelid monsters.

Whisk in as much confectioner's sugar as you like to bring the chocolate to your preferred sweetness (probably 0 to 1/2 cup, but people vary).

Take the chocolate mixture (ganache) off the heat. Let it sit at room temperature until it sets up. Scoop out with a teaspoon (for small truffles), tablespoon (for big ones), or ice cream scoop (for really big ones).

Roll each scoop into a ball in your hands then roll in cocoa powder without any eyelid monsters.

Eat as many as you like, share them with any eyelid monsters, world shaping butterflies or other troubling guests.

Excess truffles should be refrigerated until you wish to have some more.

Variations:
A little Godiva liquor or Kahlua can be added to the mixture in the double boiler to intensify or add mocha flavor. Fruit liqueurs (such as frambroise) can add fruity overtones.

If you are comfortable tempering chocolate, truffles can be made in molds, by making chocolate shells in the molds and adding still soft truffle mixture to the shells chilling then sealing with melted chocolate.

To be amazed at the con that is commercial truffle making, calculate the cost of what you have made, figure out the weight (around a pound and a half), then go to a chocolatier and see what they are charging for truffles.

Sic the eyelid monster on them.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Recipe.

24 ounces good quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate.
1/2 to 1 cup heavy cream (depending on how soft you like truffles).
Confectioner's Sugar to taste.
Cocoa for rolling the truffles.
0 Eyelid Monsters.

Chop up the chocolate and put it in the top of a double boiler (bottom should have water in it) with the cream.

Add no eyelid monsters.

Bring the double boiler to a simmer. Whisk the chocolate and cream together until they form a smooth monotone, yummy looking mass.

Continue to not add eyelid monsters.

Whisk in as much confectioner's sugar as you like to bring the chocolate to your preferred sweetness (probably 0 to 1/2 cup, but people vary).

Take the chocolate mixture (ganache) off the heat. Let it sit at room temperature until it sets up. Scoop out with a teaspoon (for small truffles), tablespoon (for big ones), or ice cream scoop (for really big ones).

Roll each scoop into a ball in your hands then roll in cocoa powder without any eyelid monsters.

Eat as many as you like, share them with any eyelid monsters, world shaping butterflies or other troubling guests.

Excess truffles should be refrigerated until you wish to have some more.

Variations:
A little Godiva liquor or Kahlua can be added to the mixture in the double boiler to intensify or add mocha flavor. Fruit liqueurs (such as frambroise) can add fruity overtones.

If you are comfortable tempering chocolate, truffles can be made in molds, by making chocolate shells in the molds and adding still soft truffle mixture to the shells chilling then sealing with melted chocolate.

To be amazed at the con that is commercial truffle making, calculate the cost of what you have made, figure out the weight (around a pound and a half), then go to a chocolatier and see what they are charging for truffles.

Sic the eyelid monster on them.

I and our extended family can vouch for these. They are amazing!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score

I missed all the fun! Stupid Australian time zone. :(

I had to go to bed early last night for Uni this morning, didn't have time to come online this morning, and just got home and - it's all over. *cries*

:( Aw that sucks, Cliff. Sorry you missed it. Maybe next year you can join in. ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. *sniff*

Next year, I'm going to stay awake for 48 hours, just to make sure. ;)

I'm glad I caught the Steampunk one last year though. *points at avatar that hasn't been changed for 367 days*

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:Jaw:

A tarantula is sucking the air out of the evil chihuey's head.

:eek:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
This! No such thing. Excess of anything of the chocolate species doesn't exist. :D

Okay. Rather than get into a theological argument about chocolate (I used to think I was a chocoholic until I met much more serious ones. I have a friend who scarfs cocoa nibs.)

But to convey the importance of refrigeration of the truffles from the recipe above, I will frame the following relevant circumstances.

If one has created a batch of truffles as a Valentine's Day gift, and one wishes to drive into a frenzy of anticipation the proposed recipient of the aforementioned Valentine's Day gift (assuming one shares a house with the person involved), one should wrap the truffles up, place them in an appropriate box or shiny red bag, and place that in the refrigerator, a few days before Valentine's Day.

After which one should affect not to notice any reactions to the box or bag, until Valentine's Day.

Experiments with this technique have proven successful, although my sample space has been quite small.

Status
Not open for further replies.