• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Barbara Bauer Literary Agency / Literary Management Professionals

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MadScientistMatt said:
Wow, I feel flattered. :)

Me, too. And she sounded just like I always thought she would.

Literary scammers, in general, hate us SF/F writers. Most of them probably don't dare to set up at WorldCon or the World Fantasy Convention, where they may very likely be attacked by a mob of writers wearing Atlanta Nights and Yog's Law T-shirts.

That's actually a very beautiful picture to imagine if you really think about it. Not so pretty for the bottom-feeding scum, though.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
emeraldlatina said:
She goes on to say that 'The St. Paul Travelers Insurance Company has preformed an investigation into the googlebombing attacks and has informed us that a competitor is using highly trained programmers to create misinformation by putting people out of business and forcing authors to have fewer option.'
Hmmm...my husband is a critical claims adjuster with them. Didn't know they'd do that kind of investigating. 'Course, The St.Paul Travelers has IT people. Maybe she's buddies with one of them. Wow. This has the makings of a James Bond book or film. Working title: "BB vs. AW '07"

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
emeraldlatina said:
She goes on to say that 'The St. Paul Travelers Insurance Company has preformed an investigation into the googlebombing attacks and has informed us that a competitor is using highly trained programmers to create misinformation by putting people out of business and forcing authors to have fewer option.' There's more, I'll write more later.

Is this 'competitor' a cat lover, and lives in a hollowed out operation centre beneath an inactive volcano?

What a nutjob.

emeraldlatina

Registered
Reaction score
Given the immediate response I have to write the full article that was printed on the newsletter:
Recently the publishing industry has come under attack by a group which has employed sophisticated linking strategies called "googlebombing" in order to disparage and attack publishers, writers, literary agents, freelance editors and hundreds of other industry members.
The St. Paul Travelers Insurance Company has performed an investiagtion into the googlebombing attacks and has informed us that a competitor is using highly trained programmers to create misinformation for consumers in order to reap the rewards by putting people out of business and forcing authors to have fewer options.

Who are These People?

Preditors and Editors: This site disparages hundreds of companies, run by a man called Dave Kuzminski, with no known address or phone number, said to have a Russian accent.

Miss Snark: This vicious blog is run by an admitted "dragoon" of pseudonymous literary agents and their clients linked to the Association of Authors Representatives. The anonymous Miss Snark is accountable to no one.

Writer Beware Blog: The writers who run this site are represented by Jean Naggar and Writers House. They have lied and libeled that I charge my clients for podcasting and I have never sold a book in my career. Ann Crispin and Victoria Strauss are both published by Harper Collins.

Absolute Water Cooler: This site disparages hundreds of companies and sells Google affiiliated advertising, an Absolute Write University, conferences, editorial books and other services.

Other sites run in collaboration and in tandem with the above are Writers.Net, Writers weekly, Kristin Nelson Literary Agency, Caveat Scrivener (Speculations), SFWA (Nebula), and Agent Research and Evaluation. The Barbara Bauer Literary Agency, Inc., is proud to be in a group of 52 companies from Connecticut to Hawaii, which have signed a petition to the Federal Trade Comission concerning this scandal. Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr., (D-NJ) has received a videotape of a serious incident which took place in May, 2006, involving invasions of privacy, libel, and copyright infringement, and in which he as assured us of his ongoing interest in our behalf. A congressional investigation into the industry is being advocated bymany of the companies and authors who have been victimized. Hate Speech is not Free Speech.

There you have it folks- the full newsletter. She mentions about not charging for podcast but notice how she doesn't say anything about charging a yearly storage fee of close to $700US dollars. She told me she showed my work around to publishing companies- well I should have asked her for a list and proof that she did show my work around. I have every receipt that I sent her from her charging the yearly fees to the phone consultation charges. It still angers me but a lot of you nice people here have told me to just let it go otherwise it'll eat at me and disrupt my writing. I just can't believe the nerve of her!!!!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wow. She's got some serious brass ones.

I'd bet that most of the people on B's list can afford better lawyers than she can.

I love how she lumps herself in with 'the publishing industry'. No, B, not the whole industry, just slimy scammers like yourself. Well, B, you said Ann and Victoria lied about your sales records? Put 'em up. Every other honest agent IN THE BUSINESS has no problem posting what they've sold, when and to whom. Publisher's Lunch lists sales made EVERY ISSUE, listing author, agent and house.

Honey, put up or shut up. It's as simple as that.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
lmao. So she put in an insurance claim, stating she lost business because she was outed on the internet. That's hysterical.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com

Are we being punked?

I think we're being punked...<looks around suspiciously for hidden cameras...>

Pity Dave isn't here to answer the "Russian Accent" question. That's just bizarre.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
All I can say of Barb is that with enemies like that... I'd be checking the color of my hat.

Oh, and google-bombing ia about a sophisticated as pointing the finger, for people who know the computer isn't just a very large paperweight.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
emeraldlatina said:
Preditors and Editors: This site disparages hundreds of companies, run by a man called Dave Kuzminski, with no known address or phone number, said to have a Russian accent.

Dave, it's time to disarm. The Cold's War's over. Get out of that safe house before some renegade sleeper activates you with the subliminal code they've implanted your brain.. I've got promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep...

With no known address and phone number!!! That woman is freeking hilarious. I can't stop laughing. Maybe she's a secret agent - she's certainly not a literary agent.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Absolute Water Cooler: This site disparages hundreds of companies and sells Google affiiliated advertising, an Absolute Write University, conferences, editorial books and other services.

I never get invited to any frat parties! :(

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Did she honest to goodness write "dragoon"? I mean spelled exactly like that?

Personal for Barbara: Dave Kuzminski has a Latverian accent. (So many people just can't tell the difference.)

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Dragoon:

A seventeenth century mounted musketeer, usually armed with a fire-lock as opposed to a matchlock. They fought dismounted and moved about mounted.

In the Napoleonic period the 'dragoon' varied in description. In French service they were medium cavalry armed sometimes with muskets rather than carbines. In British service 'Dragoons' were heavy sword-armed cavalry.

The term is used sometimes today to describe mechanized infantry who can fight from the vehicles on the move.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
Dragoon: (transitive verb)

1. To subjugate or persecute by the imposition of troops.
2. To compel by violent measures or threats; coerce.

In a computer game called colonization "Dragoon" represented a mounted calvary unit of about 50 men. Perhaps this is where she draws her definition?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
"Miss Snark: This vicious blog is run by an admitted "dragoon" of pseudonymous literary agents and their clients linked to the Association of Authors Representatives. The anonymous Miss Snark is accountable to no one."

Nah, she's using it as a noun, not a verb.

Dragoons and light horse were the most notorious of looters and pillagers though. Maybe that's her sense of usage, but it sounds too studied in history to be Barbra Bauer.

Regards,
Scott

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Is it possible that someone who lives in NJ could find out if Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr., (D-NJ) is really doing what she claims? Possibly send him some information disclosing the truth about Dr. Babs?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
emeraldlatina said:
It's hard to pick but I think this is my favorite quote. Dave, tovarisch! You devious Russki, you! How's life under the overpass?
Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr., (D-NJ) has received a videotape of a serious incident which took place in May, 2006, involving invasions of privacy, libel, and copyright infringement, and in which he as assured us of his ongoing interest in our behalf.
I'm trying to imagine this videotape, and not succeeding. I'm too tired to be clever.

I'm sure the whole thing is a load of b.s. She may have send the petition and the videotape, but I bet they went right into the loony file.

- Victoria

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Imagine her with her handheld video-cam surfing the various sites. A pointing finger comes into the frame jabbing at the computer screen. Her dulcet toned voice rings out "there, see the libel! here, the invasion of privacy! and here - it's a dragoon of professional programmers infringing my copyrights!!"

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Popeyesays said:
Nah, she's using it as a noun, not a verb.

Sure, she's sort-of using it like a noun (though her grammar is sloppy), but the sense of "coerce" may be closer to what she was trying to get across.

I'm pretty sure that she doesn't know what the word means, as either a noun or a verb.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Babs should join AW and learn a little bit about how being an agent works.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Hm. Bauer. Isn't that a...(cue ominous music) German name?
Wow. Just wow.
-Barbara (kein Bauer, sondern Schreiber) (auch kein Bauerin)