Double Quoting in Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to quote someone's quoted response on absolutewrite.com and keep the formatting?

Thanks,

Nick
(I tried searching, but AW won't search for "quote" so I didn't have much luck).

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean like a nested quote?
Hi,

Is it possible to quote someone's quoted response on absolutewrite.com and keep the formatting?

Thanks,

Nick
(I tried searching, but AW won't search for "quote" so I didn't have much luck).

Just quote the message that has the quote in it, making sure you grab both of the quote handles, and both of the end quote handles.

Hmmm, easier to say than type. :)

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score

Just quote the message that has the quote in it, making sure you grab both of the quote handles, and both of the end quote handles.

Nope, that doesn't work - sorry, I thought it did. I guess we'll both have to wait for an answer :(

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean like this?
Hi,

I hit the multi-quote button on your post, trumpet, then the quote button on Katie's to go to the reply screen. If I'd left it alone, it would have posted two quotes one after the other. To nest them, you just erase the first endquote tag and re-type it after the last endquote tag. (Or cut and paste but I do it the long way :) )

So in the compose screen it has QUOTE=trumpetology, blah blah, QUOTE=KatieJ blah de blah, /QUOTE /QUOTE (with brackets around the quote and endquote tags of course).

I hope that makes sense... :)

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I was missing a step.

Thank you Moth!! You helped me, I thought I knew what I was doing (always a dangerous assumption) :)

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, sorry. That doesn't solve it. MOTH, if you're around, maybe you know the answer. In your example, you notice that the quoted part of KatieJ's message (my original text) is missing?

That's what I'm trying to get.

Basically, if someone edits my work in SYW by quoting it, I want to be able to requote with all the edits in place and comment on them.

does that make sense?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Wait, sorry. That doesn't solve it. MOTH, if you're around, maybe you know the answer. In your example, you notice that the quoted part of KatieJ's message (my original text) is missing?

That's what I'm trying to get.

Basically, if someone edits my work in SYW by quoting it, I want to be able to requote with all the edits in place and comment on them.

does that make sense?

I think I understand what you mean, and if I'm right, I don't think you can do it automatically.

To clarify what you mean, I'm going to create a fake quote:

This is the first paragraph of my wonderful prose.

This is the second paragraph of my wonderful prose.

This is the third paragraph of my wonderful prose.

Now, someone quotes this and adds edits, like such:

This is the first paragraph of my wonderful prose. another member's comment

This is the second paragraph of my wonderful prose. another member's comment

This is the third paragraph of my wonderful prose. another member's comment

Right?

Now you want to quote your prose with their comments?

If that's what you want to do, you can't do it because their quote of your quote can't be (ahem) quoted automatically. The way the board works, it doesn't pick up quotes within quotes.

However, you could accomplish it manually this way:

1. Quote the other member's post to get the initial quote box including the 'Originally Posted by' doohickie. This will include any additional text they wrote, but it won't include the quoted and commented text of your original post.
  2. Manually copy their quote of your post with their comments and paste it into your new quote.
  3. Manually change the colour of their comments.
  4. If you want to add more comments of your own, add them and apply a different colour.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.