• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

CavenKerry Press

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of them? They are located in NJ. One of my students has submitted to them (before my class started). No word yet. I can't find them on P & E and the website,cavenkerrypress.com looks legit.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Umm. Well, this is a bit of a concern.

CKP is unable to accept a manuscript unless it is accompanied by a $20.00 handling fee. Checks should be made out to CavanKerry Press and included with the submission.

I would also not be much interested in submitting to a "Not For Profit" press. Unless, of course, I didn't have any interest in making money. But, if the press isn't concerned with being profitable, I can't imagine they have much concern for compensating authors for their time. Unless I'm missing something here.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Oops! I didn't see that one. I wonder if my student paid them $20. If they are not for profit, where does the money go from sales?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
To pay their bills, salaries, lunches, transportation, etc. You can put a lot of items on operating expenses and still make no profit...

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
To put it very generally: Nonprofit or not-for-profit does not mean that you can't have a surplus of revenue over expenditures. It means that any such surplus or profit goes back into the operation rather than to owners, shareholders, etc.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
To put it very generally: Nonprofit or not-for-profit does not mean that you can't have a surplus of revenue over expenditures. It means that any such surplus or profit goes back into the operation rather than to owners, shareholders, etc.

Right. But is this advantageous to an author? I would think not.

Especially since they seem to indicate that part of their operating expenses are paid for by potential authors via the "handling fee".

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
The books look lovely. The press has some good reviews and notable authors. Publishing poetry, however, is more of a fool's errand than publishing genre fiction. Very few poetry books ever earn serious money - so the whole non-profit vibe is factored in from the start.

As a publishing credit for a new poet, it's probably not that bad a deal, as long as you pay only that first $20.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Well, my student did pay the $20. If she gets an offer, I'll let you know what happens. I've never seen a contract from a not-for-profit publisher, so it should be interesting. I've read her proposal, and it's great, but her writing needs a lot of work. It will be interesting to see what they say about it.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Filigree
Possibly, but given the amount of work the book needs, I'd be surprised and disappointed if they accept it. I haven't even considered repping it, because it needs so much work.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Ah, that would be a red flag. Poetry has such little profit value that any mms has to be damned near flawless upon submission, or it's not worth the rest of the necessary editing and formatting that still needs to be done.

If they take it as it stands, I'd wonder. If they don't, but suggest some revisions, it might be a good experience for your student. How open is she to looking objectively at her work? This is something she's going to have to learn, the sooner the better. If the suggestions come from a neutral outsider like CavanKerry, she might give them some weight.