Grandma Susie's House of FUNNERS 'N FLOOZIES (Volume V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
you did wear pants to the interviews, didn't you?

:e2smack:

:D

Really, you all make it so much easier. I'm already over it. It obviously wasn't the job for me...and so on and so forth.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
So bummed! I didn't get that job, even though I did four interviews. At first I was disappointed, then I was mad, now I'm just :cry:

Oh well, onward and upward.

Onward and upward it is, Syd!!

Their loss, Syd! I'm sure this'll just be a hiccough on the road to greatness! The next thing will be waaaay better!

I agree. 100%.

I've got an interview, too. Four, maybe five interviews, all in one day. On Thursday. In Bangkok!! For what will be a super company now that they have new management. Decent salary and rent allowance. Up at 4.30am for a 7am flight and returning home around 2am.

After those hours, if I don't get the job (I'll know next week), I'll be very upset!!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
So good you're ok, Syd and hope you feel better nighty and to everyone have a good week and enjoy, k. :Cake:s 'n prelicks! :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I have a cooking question.

Okay, so when I cook fish (crumbed, starting from frozen, doesn't matter which brand I use) it turns out one of 2 ways. Either it's sort of crumbly and dry, or it winds up being oily, to the point of being a little slimy.

What I want to know is, how do I control how it turns out? I mean, I put it in the oven at the same temperature for roughly the same amount of time each time... But I don't like it when it's kind of slimy... I prefer it when it's sort of dry and crumbly.

Anyone have an answer for me?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I take it you are using what is called pre-breaded fillets here in the US. The kind that comes in a box?

If you are using the same brand, of roughly the same size, and it's coming out differently, I would suspect your oven temperatures varies. Some oven do. The center might be one temperature, while the corners might be four other temperatures.

Do you turn the pan while you are cooking the fish?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they come in a box. I haven't had any troubles with other foods, regarding oven temperatures, I don't think...

Although, maybe... When I cook panini, the middle of the top layer (ie. the part in the middle of the oven) is a bit cooler than the outside parts of the top layer...

Hmm. That could be it. So... which would get the fish turning out more dry and crumbly than slimy? The outer, warmer parts, or the centre?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you could try turning the pan while you're cooking the fish, but also test the fish at the end to see if it's the way you like it. If not, leave it in for an additional five minutes, then test again, repeat if needed.

Fish is a little more sensitive than most other foods when it comes to cooking times.

You don't like fresh fish?

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*shudders*

I really can't stand fish. It's the smell.

I don't think fish appreciate jazz.

ROAR :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like fish. I generally fry fish, either deep-fat (actually oil) or in a pan.

It used to be that fish was fairly inexpensive here, but it's gotten a little pricey. I think they are overfishing the oceans and there is also a high demand worldwide for fish. The Chinese probably couldn't afford to import fish decades ago; now they can.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's warm here this week. Today it's suppose to be 72 F/ 22 C. That's very warm for January even in the southern United States.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like fish. I generally fry fish, either deep-fat (actually oil) or in a pan.

It used to be that fish was fairly inexpensive here, but it's gotten a little pricey. I think they are overfishing the oceans and there is also a high demand worldwide for fish. The Chinese probably couldn't afford to import fish decades ago; now they can.

I was just reading an article about this this morning. A lot of fishy staples, like mackerel and cod stocks, have now been so overfished that they're pretty much beyond recovery.

I'm not sure how the situation is with the crumby coating, however. Perhaps there's still enough of that swimming around to put on whatever they replace the fish we know with.

ROAR :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of fish is being sold as something it isn't.

Cod used to be the stable of inexpensive fish places. They have just about fished out the stock of cod now.

In the days when the US was still a colony, lobster was so plentiful in the northeast that it was considered a poor man's food.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have some kind of invasive, non-native carp in the lakes here. They are trying to get rid of it. They want to change some law or regulation (to use larger nets) so it can be exported to the Far East where it's considered a delicacy.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know in the UK they've been trying to introduce different varieties of fish, to help with overfishing of the staple stocks, but many people don't buy them because they look too grotesque!

I suppose people get used to things being a particular way and it's hard to shift them from it. Which is a shame, given the finite nature of things.

It would be simpler if everybody was a muppet.

*jazz hands*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once watched them harvest farm-raised shrimp. I have never wanted farm-raised shrimp since.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, house of unsustainable phishing. :D

We have the same problem here, with our oceans being depleted by unscrupulous fishing company's that use gill nets. The local companies are strictly controlled with licenses and quotas but I don't think it's helping. Not a month goes by but some Thai trawler is caught with dolphins and sharks. :(

But we now have two companies that have started fish farms, which are sustainable. Though I think it's just a drop in the ocean. (Okay, pun intended. :))

AC, I saw a Nat Geo doccie about those carp. They really are a problem as they're decimating the natural river/lake fauna. Oh, we humans are so *&$%#ing up this planet! :(

In other news, how y'all doing? :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're on the subject on fish and waters . . . there is a river near here that is supposed to have more species of aquatic life in it than there is in all of Europe. I have a hard time believing that.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I would do fish puns, but we've sort of worn that one out.

We need a new pun subject to keep the duchess entertained.

What about . . . royalty? That could be a crowning achievement!

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I would do fish puns, but we've sort of worn that one out.

We need a new pun subject to keep the duchess entertained.

What about . . . royalty? That could be a crowning achievement!

In here, puns reign supreme.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.