Accidental simultaneous submission

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
My situation: based on average response times, I assumed that one publisher had rejected my manuscript via silence. I submitted to a second publisher and received a response that my manuscript had left their slush pile. After that, the first publisher got back to me saying that my manuscript had left their slush pile as well. Neither is anywhere near an offer, but the situation is the same as if I'd submitted to both simultaneously.

So my question is whether or not I should send a brief email explaining the situation (both gave me an email address for further questions). Should I ignore the situation unless they both actually express more interest? Or would that be viewed as withholding information and/or not respecting the guidelines? I know this is unlikely to actually matter, but I want to do the responsible thing.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see anything is to be achieved by sending further mails at this stage. Publishers are well aware that a manuscript may be sent to more than one of them at a time.

Be glad you know they're being read- or perhaps closer to being read than they were.

I think the time to e-mail one is if and when the other shows definite interest.

Good luck.

Last edited:

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
I had a very similar situation, with two (no-simultaneous submission) publishers. At that point, I saw no advantage to telling either of them that I'd accidentally violated their rules. I ended up receiving an offer that I accepted. When I notified the second publisher, they were gracious and encouraged me to submit to them again in the future.

It sounds like you've written something intriguing. Good luck!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I sent out my manuscript to five publishers, expecting that all five might reject it, as had happened with a previous manuscript. I was expecting to work my way down my list of preferred publishers, as I had with my earlier novella.

Instead I had three offers. The two publishers I had to say no to were gracious and asked me to submit again.

However none of the publishers I submitted to said "no simultaneous submissions" in their guidelines, so you should check their guidelines to make sure they don't have a rule against it.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any such rule is unenforceable.

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
Their language is "prefer" not to receive simultaneous submissions, and given the long wait times involved I haven't been precise with it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll cross my fingers about these and keep working.