Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I don't literally mean pneumonia is "not so bad." It's like drowning. Or like being crushed. I always think of the medieval torture technique where they piled stones on a heretic's chest until he recanted or suffocated.

Think of it this way, Red.

What kind of place is the pit if pneumonia isn't so bad?

That might even be a warning to newcomers. "Around here, we don't think pneumonia is so bad. . . BUT, we can tell you about bad . . . pneumonia? A bed of roses in comparison." BWAHAHA

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
The pit mentality...it's spreading!
We're like a plague.
zombie20.gif

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Good blog post, Cricket. I'm glad to see more people are unafraid to speak out and aren't worried about the Powers that Shush™ The pit mentality...it's spreading!

It's amazing how times have changed. I started going to conferences and such back in about 97 (am i crazy for sticking it out so long?) and really for the ten years following that I don't khow how many even thought to question the status quo. I was only on the fringes the whole time just as an observer, but still comparing things now to then is just astounding.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the blog post Cricket posted, but I didn't feel reassured that people are finally speaking against problems in the industry because the people speaking are those who don't care any more about getting traditional contracts.

There was a very cynical blog post a while back calling the writers in traditional publishing "house slaves." I know JK is busy trying to lure big name writers to his side, and each time he does, they speak out against the industry, but it's always after they cut their ties, which I guess that makes sense.

I do recall a blogger posting once that an agent turned her down saying, "There are anti publishing industry rants on your blog." As in, you're not supposed to bite the hand that starves you. (wait! that's not how the saying goes!)

Count on me for the cynical, pittish opinion.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
This may or may not be of interest to some:
http://ebooksforlibraries.com/

IMO large publishers, worrying about losing more control, clamp down hard on libraries and what ebooks they can or cannot loan to people. I don't know about you guys, but I'm far more likely to test out a new author/genre at the library and if I like it, buy subsequent books. If I don't get a chance to test someone/thing new? I'm far FAR less likely to part with my hard earned money on the next book by that author or other books in a genre that is unknown to me...

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
This may or may not be of interest to some:
http://ebooksforlibraries.com/

IMO large publishers, worrying about losing more control, clamp down hard on libraries and what ebooks they can or cannot loan to people. I don't know about you guys, but I'm far more likely to test out a new author/genre at the library and if I like it, buy subsequent books. If I don't get a chance to test someone/thing new? I'm far FAR less likely to part with my hard earned money on the next book by that author or other books in a genre that is unknown to me...

I read about that. Very wrong headed. I was going to post an interesting article I read in the Nation -- a sort of mainstream publication echoing JK's war cry that "legacy publishing is dead".

It's a dense article, and a while back someone said I was exploding her head with talk about the industry. So beware before clicking. It's dense and comprehensive, but I think interesting.

http://http://www.thenation.com/article/168125/amazon-effect

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
(((Teri))) and (((Red))) for pittish lungs...

(((Pit))) for everything else...

And now for some spousal WTFery--hubs and I were fighting a couple of days ago, and he says "You know why you're not published? Because you don't format your e-mails properly!"

Damn, I knew I was missing the secret...

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm link insertion challenged.

see if you can cut and paste this into your browser. If that doesn't work, it's in the Nation, publication date May 29, 2012, for the June 12, 2012 issue. You can find it by googling "Amazon Effect" under news. Oh, and the author is Steve Wasserman.

http//www.thenation.com/article/168125/amazon-effect

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Aw hester! Man with writers any retaliation in the form of 'you know why you're not published' should be strictly off limits! Though your post DID make me laugh...(sorry) and the phrase WTFery really gave me a chuckle

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
The original link has an erroneous http// in the middle. If you remove it, the link should work fine.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score

And now for some spousal WTFery--hubs and I were fighting a couple of days ago, and he says "You know why you're not published? Because you don't format your e-mails properly!"

OMG!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score

Ack! Take this post down and start selling this valuable information. :D

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Because I posted an article that only someone recovering from pneumonia may have time to read, maybe I should offer a few choice highlights:

The article states that "legacy publishing is dead," but the implication is that corporate publishing may return to the cottage industry it was before the conglomerations formed. And is that a bad thing?

Re the DOJ suit: publishers are not fearing that Amazon will end literacy; they fear they will become redundant.

He says the bookstore wars are dead; the war being fought now is whether authors will remain with traditional publishers or will go over to Amazon.

He believes the development of the ebook, with the possibility of links, videos, and reader interaction, will open up new forms of literature, and that literacy will thrive, and our species, biologically programmed to tell each other stories, will do so in whole new ways.

He mentions the word "democritize." Personally, from the beginning, I've liked the democratic aspect of self publishing.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Back from Nashville. Had a great time, but it's back to the grind once more. Catching up on all the articles and news.

LOL, Inky. I know exactly what you mean. I wait all day, thinking of working on revisions as soon as I get home. Then i get home and think, Ugh, really? I gotta look at this again?

SO ME!

I tried to get a shot of some cool graffiti (only in NY) on the train through the Bronx: a painting of Shakespeare that says, "A Real Writer". :ROFL: An expedition may be necessary, if very ill advised....

HAH. It's amazing what you'll find tagged on the subway cars.

It's called Delusion, and it's easiest to purchase at a liquor store. Sometimes it comes in a whiskey bottle, sometimes vodka, occasionally rum.... Wine will do in a pinch. ;)

OH! That's what I've been drinking? It all makes sense now.

YES! I request tons of books from my library and was recently told that P3ngu1n stopped allowing ebooks to the libraries. SO ANGRY.

*off to read articles*

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com

It's so simple! WHY didn't you think of it before? If only you formatted your emails "properly" you could be making bank like JK R0wling and S M3y3r!! You fool!

Did you kick him in the babymaker? Because you should have.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't I heard agents say they know within the first 3 lines of a query whether they're interested or not?

So if they devote a mere 15 minutes a day to query reading, think of how many they can get through.

And what is it that interns do? Can't they take care of some of the load?

I'm very cranky today. Focusing on edits for my other ms takes me out of the zone of my current WIP. Now that I'm back to my WIP, I've been staring at the screen in a daze. Blah.

I also read that extroverts live longer so...I'm doomed.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Snappy, welcome back. Or not since this is the Pit.

(((Hester))) Oy.

Teri, thanks for the link.

Just got back from a lunch time walk, pushed hair out of my face... and a dead fly fell on my desk. Ah... spring.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Whoot Snapps!

Ha, Cat and I read extroverts have shorter life spans 'cause they tend to take more risks. *shrug*

Snappy H C0llins gives libraries a rough go, too. It's ridiculous.

Teri what saddens me is so sooo much can be done in traditional publishing to make things better...and perhaps not tick off writers to the point where they don't want to be bothered with them, but they seem stuck in the same old same old. It's shameful that there would be no publishing industry at all without writers to write the stories...yet writers are treated the worst out of the whole system. It makes no sense.

Gah my poor ear won't stop ringing! It's been ringing since Sunday and I Feel all tipsy...can't wait for my doctor's appointment :(

ETA EEEww Ink!

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Whoot Snapps!

Ha, Cat and I read extroverts have shorter life spans 'cause they tend to take more risks. *shrug*

Snappy H C0llins gives libraries a rough go, too. It's ridiculous.

Teri what saddens me is so sooo much can be done in traditional publishing to make things better...and perhaps not tick off writers to the point where they don't want to be bothered with them, but they seem stuck in the same old same old. It's shameful that there would be no publishing industry at all without writers to write the stories...yet writers are treated the worst out of the whole system. It makes no sense.

Gah my poor ear won't stop ringing! It's been ringing since Sunday and I Feel all tipsy...can't wait for my doctor's appointment :(

ETA EEEww Ink!

Extroverts just SEEM to live longer because they drive everyone crazy. BWHAHA (I'm an extrovert!)

Soul, one reason I'm addicted to the news about the industry is because things have so changed. It was never this bad. As another article said, you used to get a response from an editor in 3 weeks, they all responded, and agents were not necessary.

But publishing turned into large corporate conglomerates, the number of people writing multiplied -- the markets are also multiplying, and book buyers are feeling frustrated by the limited choices.

Something has to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.