A new take on heart disease

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I won't go to SOTT. Their idea of "fair use" sucks.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The articles littering that site are truly saddening, more than inspiring anger like they wish to do.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Dwight C. Lundell, M.D. lost medical license in 2008. Since that time he has been promoting books that clash with scientific knowledge of heart disease prevention and treatment.

[...]

Between 2000 and 2008, Lundell was subjected to five regulatory actions by the Arizona Medical Board:

• In 2000, the board concluded that his postoperative management of a patient who died following carotid artery surgery was substandard and insufficiently documented. He was censured for unprofessional conduct, assessed a $2,500 civil penalty, and placed on probation during which he was required to take continuing medical education courses in carotid artery surgery and medical recordkeeping. He was also required to submit to monitoring of his patient records [4].
  • In 2003, the board noted that 13 out of 20 charts reviewed by the consultant were deficient because they did not include adequate initial evaluations of the patients. Lundell was censured again and was placed on probation that included quarterly chart reviews [5].
  • In 2004, the board found fault with his management of two patients and concluded that his records for these patients were inadequate. He was reprimanded and ordered to serve two more years of probation, during which he was required to undergo an extensive evaluation of his fitness to continue practicing medicine [6].
  • In 2006, the board sent him an advisory letter for failure to maintain adequate records and for a technical surgical error [7].
  • In 2008, the board reviewed Lundell's management of several more patients and revoked his medical license. The board's order indicated that the board began investigating his care of seven patients after the Banner Desert Medical Hospital suspended Lundell's surgical privileges [7].
Source: quackwatch.org

Sounds like this 'retired heart surgeon' may have been, um, forcefully retired. No doubt a silencing tactic by Big Nutrition.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I wonder what a CV surgeon was doing messing around with carotid endarterectomies. Those are typically done by vascular or neurosurgeons.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
The balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 is a very interesting topic, for sure, though! And it's very true that folks could be making their balance even worse when they restrict fat if they aren't paying attention to the ratio.

So you've got your 'good fat' to 'bad fat' ratio, which does still have utility, I think is clear. But then you also need to figure the omega 6 to 3 ratio, too.

The way our processed food is made, you can't expect it to be healthy without knowing certain things to discern. It's a sad fact, and I wish we had labels that kept up with research in a more timely manner. It gets confusing, but it is very important.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I won't go to SOTT. Their idea of "fair use" sucks.
I was just glancing around at the ads on the right side of the page....
The articles littering that site are truly saddening, more than inspiring anger like they wish to do.
... some look new-agey, and there's an ad for a Truther book. Fascinating, in a train-wreck sort of way. If the site displayed the time of day, I'd feel an urge to double-check it.

And with that, the only reason I would want to do anything that might involve fair use with that site would involve parody, which has been ruled defensible on its own anyway. But whatever...
The balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 is a very interesting topic, for sure, though! And it's very true that folks could be making their balance even worse when they restrict fat if they aren't paying attention to the ratio.

So you've got your 'good fat' to 'bad fat' ratio, which does still have utility, I think is clear. But then you also need to figure the omega 6 to 3 ratio, too.

The way our processed food is made, you can't expect it to be healthy without knowing certain things to discern. It's a sad fact, and I wish we had labels that kept up with research in a more timely manner. It gets confusing, but it is very important.
The labels on food boxes at the supermarket? With the FDA the way it is, I think we're lucky those are there at all. I haven't used one, but I know there are diet programs that have huge amounts of info on huge numbers of food items, so it's possible to keep quite good track of these things.

If you're looking up omega ratios and reading from many sources about a healthy diet, you're way ahead of most people in every country, first-world or third-world. I've enjoyed "Beyond the 120 year diet" and Kurzweil's "The Ten Percent Solution For A Healthy Life" from 20 years ago (though I understand he's changed his postition on a few things in his more recent health/diet books), but even he is selling supplements thesedays (and it's not like he needs the money!), which always make me suspicious:
http://www.rayandterry.com

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
humans have not only survived, but indeed have thrived, by a strict regimen of cannibalism.

maybe i'm just old-fashioned.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
And with that, the only reason I would want to do anything that might involve fair use with that site would involve parody, which has been ruled defensible on its own anyway. But whatever...
It's the other way around. I found one of my blog posts on their site. It was attributed, sort of, but reproduced in full. Nasty email followed. No response received. I've been keeping an eye out since then. They're based overseas somewhere, so fighting it would be a nightmare.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
humans have not only survived, but indeed have thrived, by a strict regimen of cannibalism.

maybe i'm just old-fashioned.
To continue the species you really only have to thrive long enough to reproduce (and not eat too many others of your own species). Humans are already outliving that threshold many times over.

Your statement reminds me of this naysayer:
Klomp predicts that through a technology called ‘hygiene’ we could extend the simian lifespan well into the late 20s or possibly 30s. What exactly will the post-simian do with all that time? Do we really want to live in a society populated by geriatric 27- year- olds?
http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/2181

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I think tongue may have been planted in cheek with Haskins' comment there.

Though, not necessarily his tongue. Tasty, tasty tongue.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
That's not really the unusual part

I wonder what a CV surgeon was doing messing around with carotid endarterectomies. Those are typically done by vascular or neurosurgeons.

If a surgery resident came from a program that had a lot of vascular cases it would not be unusual that their case logs would allow them to apply for vascular privileges and even board exams. It's more for social reasons (not wanting to deal with those type of complications at 2 AM) rather than training why CV surgeons tend not to want to bother with carotid cases. If you go across the country, some regions tend to have surgeon type X do surgery Y, and in others it will be surgeon Z doing Y. There's a fair amount of overlap with the exceptions of Ophthamologists have a niche in the eyes and Urologists have the retroperitoneal niche.

To continue the species you really only have to thrive long enough to reproduce

If you talk to Animal Behavioralists and Evolutionary Biologists they will amend that to living long enough to have fertile grandkids.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I've recently discovered the virtues of the Paleo diet, aka the "caveman diet." Lots of meat, no grains. Eat like a predator, not like the prey.

This guy is essentially trying to champion the Paleo diet, but he doesn't seem to be giving proper credit for the origins of the Paleo diet -- a diet first proposed by a DIFFERENT researcher back in the 1970's. He isn't even naming the diet by its proper name: "Paleo Diet" or "Paleolothic Diet." So he's really just plagerizing someone else's research.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If you look around the Web far enough, I'm sure you can find some site extolling the virtues of cigarette smoking as a cure for heart disease.

It probably does work: You tend to die of lung cancer or emphysema before you get heart disease.

caw