• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta readers requested: Suspense, spies, assassination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Background: This novel was accepted by two small publishers (at different times, of course), and I was unable to reach an agreement with either one. I trunked it for a while to concentrate on other works.

My publisher for one of those other works rejected this novel with a detailed explanation about why. I did a major rewrite based on her criticisms (which were spot on) and, I hope, substantially improved the work. So, I'm back to square one.

I would enjoy a swap if you have something ready. If not, I will owe you one. And, of course, those who participate will be mentioned in the acknowledgements.

78,000 words. A sprinkling of profanity. No explicit erotica. Less violence than you see on prime-time TV.

This work will be self-published in order to be available in time for the 50th anniversary of the assassination of JFK. (I left it in the trunk too long. :)) I even have a cover and a website. (Cart, horse.)

http://www.theshadowonthegrassyknoll.com/

Please send a PM if you are available and willing to help.

Harsh is okay. Nice-nice is nice but not necessary. I prefer to work in Word with Track Changes and Comments turned on, but I am flexible with respect to format.

I am concerned about continuity and flow only because I have made many insertions and deletions and am close to the story as it formerly was and is now. You know how that goes.

Here's the blurb du jour:

The 1950s. A bright and congenial boy is raised in the Virginia welfare system and struggles with an internal rage that labels him a sociopath.

A team of CIA operatives assassinates a KGB handler in East Berlin and delivers a sanction on one of their own in Frankfurt. One of the team trains ARVN snipers in the jungles of ’Nam and has his career in the field cut short by a land mine.

The lives and destinies of these people converge when the boy grows up and becomes a CIA-trained agent, mentored by the team of old spies and freelancing as a rogue for the military-industrial complex.

As he prepares for his first assignment as a kill-for-hire mercenary, he deals with identity changes, a CIA sanction, blown covers, women who complicate his life, a client who reneges on the payoff, and his personal doubts about the mission.

The mission places him in Dealey Plaza on 11/22/63 with the president in his crosshairs.

Success will allow him to drop out and retire young. Failure threatens to result in his own termination. His ambition and his conscience are in conflict and pull at one another to influence the outcome.

Last edited:

MaCain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycaineditor.com
Hi Al. I like your blurb and the leanness of your writing in the post. I myself only write romance, but I'll read anything that doesn't involve vampires or any other undead junk. Stories involving assassins always intrigue me. At this time I do not need a swap (first ms is being queried and has been requested a few times). I would be happy to look at the first few chapters to start. If this sounds good to you, pm me and we can work out the details.

And for anyone else who reads this post - I'm slightly bored and taking a small vacation from writing, so I'm willing to beta just about anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.