Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
Ok so I wrote a non-fiction memoir that is around 10,000 words. I have never published anything before accept for a few small things. Would having friends edit, then publishing on kindle for around $1.99 be a good way to publish this short story? The purpose would be not really to make money but to have some of my work published for firends and supporters who are looking forward to the bigger non-fiction book I am writing... Thanks for reading :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Is it a version of the upcoming tale, or completely unrelated? So long as it is a separate story, and you edit and format it well, I don't see any obvious down side.,

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've moved this to the self-publishing room as it's a better fit here than it was in e-publishing.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
My only suggestion to you is that if it's only ten thousand words you may want to sell it for $.99 or even consider giving it away for free.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
My only suggestion to you is that if it's only ten thousand words you may want to sell it for $.99 or even consider giving it away for free.

I was just going to suggest this. Most novellas at about 20-30k sell for 0.99.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
If you aren't interested in money, why not just put it up for free? Also, if you just want to give it to family and friends, there are other easy ways to do it, too. I print out a copy and put it in a binder and pass it around. Sometimes I just send the file and people can read it on their computer, but most of my friends and family don't read ebooks, so I usually just do the print it out thing.

Not saying there's nothing wrong with doing it this way. I'm just not sure I'd consider it worth all the work if the only goal was to give it to people. I also am the sort who doesn't expect them to pay for it, though, so putting a book up for them only and then asking them to pay for it would make me uncomfortable.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I've written several short stories and had no intention of making them available in paperback, but CreateSpace made it very affordable to do so (less than $3 a book, plus tax and shipping). If offering the book to people you already know is the goal and it is a keepsake, you might want to consider checking out CreateSpace. Kaitie's suggestion of making photocopies of your book and placing them in a binder would work, as well. I just think CS would give it more of a finished, professional look.

Last edited:

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
I've written several short stories and had no intention of making them available in paperback, but CreateSpace made it very affordable to do so (less than $3 a book, plus tax and shipping). If offering the book to people you already know is the goal and it is a keepsake, you might want to consider checking out CreateSpace. Katie's suggestion of making photocopies of your book and placing them in a binder would work, as well. I just think CS would give it more of a finished, professional look.

Its only like 8,500 words I don't really want it to be a book.

I need some beta-readers now then I will look into publishing it via Kindle. Yeah It looks good to me, but I really need some outsider opinions on what to change and or add or erase.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for beta readers, you're in the wrong place. There's a whole subsection for beta reader requests in the main forum. If you ask here, your whole thread is liable to get moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.