40 Years in Review - Government Larger, More Freedom Too!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
As part of a 40th Anniversary retrospective, this article in Reason Online makes a good case for the argument that although government has grown over the last 40 years, freedom and the standard of living have increased much more.
According to the Census Bureau, income per capita adjusted for inflation has doubled in the four decades since 1968, from $13,374 to $26,804.

There’s a better measure of living standards than raw wealth: consumption. By this measure, the United States is also doing very well. Luxury goods that few could afford in 1968 are now standard in most households, including poor ones...in 2005 a full 85 percent of households that are classified as poor by the Census Bureau have air conditioning (compared to only 36 percent in 1971); 97 percent have a color television (compared to 40 percent in 1971); 40 percent have an automatic dishwasher (as opposed to 20 percent in 1971); and almost 100 percent own a refrigerator (a 25 percent increase over 1970).
On the down side, government has grown by leaps and bounds as well.
Look no further than your morning routine. The federal government has put its imprimatur on the mattress on your bed (through the Consumer Product Safety Commission). The Federal Communications Commission regulates the transmission and content of your favorite morning show. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), as well as the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, regulate the coffee you drink and the sugar you add to it. The USDA regulates the milk you pour in the coffee, as well as cheese, butter, and other dairy products you might eat for breakfast. And the FDA has its say about the shampoo, soap, and toothpaste you use with water that’s regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Then there is the explosion in security measures. Airline travel regulations, increased surveillance, and growing databases are a few examples of government’s expansion in our lives. Add in state and local regulations—on smoking, eating transfats, or labeling menus—and you can get the feeling that we’ve lost our freedom.
The War on Drugs has increased our prison population almost fourfold.
In a 2004 paper, the Princeton economist Ilyana Kuziemko and the University of Chicago economist Steven Levitt detailed how drug offenders now make up over 30 percent of all inmates in state and federal prisons, compared to less than 8 percent in 1980. The number of inmates with drug crimes as their most serious offense has risen from 24,000 in 1980 to near 400,000 today, a 15-fold increase.
Social freedoms, on the other hand, have increased greatly.
Looking at the whole social picture, it’s hard to tell blacks, Jews, gays, and women that they are less free today than they were in 1968. As a woman, I can enter and leave the work world freely, whether I have kids or not. I can get an abortion, file for divorce, enter into a lesbian relationship, marry a black guy, or have several lovers, all without worrying about legal consequences (or being drummed out of polite society).
So what's your take? Are we more free today than we were 40 years ago?

Compared to 8 years ago?

Compared to 4 years from now?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
As a woman, I can enter and leave the work world freely, whether I have kids or not. I can get an abortion, file for divorce, enter into a lesbian relationship, marry a black guy, or have several lovers

if i were a woman, this would be my weekends.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I love how they completely miss making the connection between increasing government regulation and better standards of living. (Really? The existence of standards agencies offends libertarians now? Oh Reason mag...)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score

The storks fly out of the cabbage patch in the morning, and drop the babies down the chimney to the waiting mommy and daddy. Got it?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I love how they completely miss making the connection between increasing government regulation and better standards of living. (Really? The existence of standards agencies offends libertarians now? Oh Reason mag...)
More people have color tv's and cellphones because of increasing government regulation? I'm missing that connection, too. What is it?

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Oh--but don't we want government to grow larger? Everyone around me keeps saying that government needs to step in and take care of us.

You know, tell us how to act, what to read, who to marry, etc.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
More people have color tv's and cellphones because of increasing government regulation? I'm missing that connection, too. What is it?

More people have color TVs that don't explode because of regulation. Or more pertinently, kids toys that don't contain gamma-hydroxybutyric acid. What exactly is the objection Reason mag has to the existence of the Consumer Product Safety Commission? It's definitely not in their article. We're just meant to accept it as part of the mantra of "Big Gov Bad".

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
More people have color TVs that don't explode because of regulation. Or more pertinently, kids toys that don't contain gamma-hydroxybutyric acid. What exactly is the objection Reason mag has to the existence of the Consumer Product Safety Commission? It's definitely not in their article. We're just meant to accept it as part of the mantra of "Big Gov Bad".
...um...There's nothing in the article about objecting to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Or did I miss a paragraph somewhere?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
...um...There's nothing in the article about objecting to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

I believe this is the paragraph they are referring to.

Look no further than your morning routine. The federal government has put its imprimatur on the mattress on your bed (through the Consumer Product Safety Commission). The Federal Communications Commission regulates the transmission and content of your favorite morning show. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), as well as the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, regulate the coffee you drink and the sugar you add to it. The USDA regulates the milk you pour in the coffee, as well as cheese, butter, and other dairy products you might eat for breakfast. And the FDA has its say about the shampoo, soap, and toothpaste you use with water that’s regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

It’s not hard to point to other areas where government has grown and liberty yielded. Look no further than your morning routine. The federal government has put its imprimatur on the mattress on your bed (through the Consumer Product Safety Commission).
First, they came for our mattresses...and I said nothing. :D

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh--but don't we want government to grow larger? Everyone around me keeps saying that government needs to step in and take care of us.

You know, tell us how to act, what to read, who to marry, etc.

That's odd...none of the people around me have ever said that.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Was this article supposed to be a joke?

Civil liberties have increased, but we are absolutely NOT more free.

We have the government telling private business owners what to do with their businesses (you can't allow smoking in your private business, sorry), we need a license for EVERYTHING (cars, hunting and fishing--why do i need a license to hunt and fish again?, etc.), you can't ride in a car without a seatbelt (why?), trans fats have been banned from some restaraunts (why?), etc.

Everywhere you turn, you've got people sacrificing their freedoms. What one hand giveth, the other one taketh away.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
That's odd...none of the people around me have ever said that.
Prop. 8 in California now tells us who can and can't get married.

Some of my friends say government sponsored healthcare is the best solution so that everyone has insurance.

Word has it (I'll have to find the source) that some folks want government to bail out folks who are suffering in the housing market.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my friends say government sponsored healthcare is the best solution so that everyone has insurance.

I never understood why people fought this so much.

It's one thing if the ONLY insurance you can get is through the government. What people actually propose, though, is something completely different.

Which is introducing the government as a provider of health insurance at lower costs so that people who aren't offered insurance can actually have insurance through the government. The rest of us who DO have insurance, can keep our plans. Not onlythat, but it would keep our plans CHEAP because no one is going to buy expensive health insurance when the government is offering it for much much cheaper.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
no one is going to buy expensive health insurance when the government is offering it for much much cheaper.

The history of the free market economy would indicate otherwise. (Otherwise Rolls, Lexus, etc. would have long since gone away.) Some say the key word in the phrase is "free". I think it's "market", and marketing.

And then there is the aspect of the government going into business against private/public corporations. Oh course, that's pretty much what the bailout is doing, isn't it?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
The history of the free market economy would indicate otherwise. (Otherwise Rolls, Lexus, etc. would have long since gone away.) Some say the key word in the phrase is "free". I think it's "market", and marketing.

And then there is the aspect of the government going into business against private/public corporations. Oh course, that's pretty much what the bailout is doing, isn't it?

Healthcare and the bailout are two separate issues.

On the issue of HEALTHCARE, yes the government should be involved in providing general healthcare to all of it's citizens. A government who promotes the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" should have an obligation to see that the first one (life) is perserved and the third one (pursuit of happiness) isn't hindered by people who are in poor health.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Pretty much. Since the initial 'bailout' is being used for purposes other than what we were led to believe, now this is growing into a situation where the government has arbitrarily taken upon itself the ability to decide which businesses survive (and how) and which ones will be allowed to fail. I'm fairly certain this power was never mandated in any way, shape or form by the Constitution.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Healthcare and the bailout are two separate issues.

Fair enough, but I'm referring to the "business" of healthcare, -- insurance, pharmaceuticals, equipment, and related support industries.

If a generic is just as good as the name brand, why do people still buy the name brand? That's where the marketing comes in.

ETA: Well, that was just all over the place. sorry. Two separate thoughts.