Dark Cabaret

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
From The Dresden Dolls to Tiger Lillies, from Voltaire to Circus Comtraption, I have noticed how many bands I love focus on this rather oscure genre. So, I sit and wonder while listening to songs about coin-operated boys and pickled punks if I am alone in such distintive tastes. Well, am I? Is anyone else into this type of music? Which are your favorite bands? What is overrated, who is underrated? Come on, peeps. Speak up!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I've always been a pretty big fan of Voltaire. Brains is a good tune, so is "When You're Evil." I've heard some Dresden Dolls, but not Tiger Lillies. Beyond that, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the genre. Even so, I hope some others pipe up so that I can expand my musical horizons.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I can't say I am an expert, either. I stumbled upon Circus Contraption through Youtube Recommendations, for example. But there's something among the wicked lyrics and the circus-like music that simply seduces me.

SueLahna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordvagabond.com
I saw Voltaire live last fall at my favorite goth club in MA, and he was absolutely phenomenal. He's coming out with a goth country cd, and played a few tracks from it and I was thoroughly impressed. He's great to his fans and just a terrific performer, so happy I finally got to meet him first hand.

Its not really Dark Cabaret, but I highly encourage you to check out Emilie Autumn if you get the time. She has gone so far to invent her own genre: Victorian-dustrial, and its truly awesome.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Oh my, I am envious!

I have heard about her here and there and seems quite interesting. Any songs you recommend?

Nightfly

Ruby Ruby when will you be mine?
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - thanks for the introduction. I'll give Tiger Lillies and Voltaire another listen but Dresden Dolls immediately blew me away. I actually remember Coin Operated Boy on the radio years ago but never followed up. Thanks again.

This is probably obvious but if you haven't heard Tom Waits, well, you have to. Franks Wild Years is one of my favorite all time albums. Check it out. A little more mainstream but somewhat similar Fionna Apple's CD Extraordinary Machine.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I was introduced to Tom Waits by my father, he left the country for a couple of months and left me his Tom Waits CD collection, I am surprised how versatile he can be, it's unbelievable!

Sadly, the CD set of Frank's Wild Years was empty, dad has no idea where it is...

SueLahna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordvagabond.com
Why, the classics of Emilie Autumn, of course!
Dead is the New Alive, Opheliac, Rose Red, Castle Down, Chambermaid....all of her stuff is kinda equally amazing in its own right. She truly is a musical force to be reckoned with. Random fact- she used to be the violinist for Hole.