Punk Rock?

BlackFlag

Registered
Reaction score
I love punk rock. All types of punk be it hardcore punk, ska punk, even pop punk.

Here are some of my favorite bands:

the Ramones, Rancid, the Distillers, the Damned, the Sex Pistols, Discharge, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Pennywise, FEAR, and tons and tons of local bands that you guys almost certainly never heard of.

Anyone else here like punk rock?

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Punk rock is amazing!!! :D :D :D *probably too excited about it but doesn't care*

~Amber~

BlackFlag

Registered
Reaction score
I'm slightly confused but I guess I should admire your enthusiasm, for whatever it's for.

edit: oh, I get it now.

EmpoweredOKC

Registered
Reaction score
Love it! Back Flag, Subhumans (my favorite--seen them a few times), Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Cramps, The Exploited.

I also like a lot of post-punk stuff: Bauhaus, Siouxsie, that kind of thing.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely love me some punk rock, I'm not sure if Unwritten Law is a forbidden fruit on this topic or not, but I love them :D Oh, and Aussie band Bodyjar = fully sic. hehe

I like a bit of just punk in general, a la Jawbreaker = my favourite, probably.

And I do like Bauhaus and so on, though never knew what genre they were classified as ;)

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
I used to like punk rock, such as Crass, The Macc Lads, GBH or the Sex Pistols, but I rarely listen to such stuff now.

Crass were very political and sang about the Falklands War (a 1982 British-Argentina conflict). But most punk seems a bit dated to me now. Their influence, however, is immense and contributed so much to the music that followed. But you all know that as we're in the Music forum.

Post-punk on the other hand can still resonate as it examines emotion or abstract concepts. (But yeah ... some of it is dated as well.) I still like Joy Division, Bauhaus, The Cure, Magazine, et al.

EmpoweredOKC

Registered
Reaction score
I saw Fugazi play live...for fifteen minutes. And then the Fire Marshal shut them down, and I had driven two hours to be there.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe, I think it's funny how certain artists get 'tagged' with certain genres. I once saw Kenny G listed as emo. That cracked me up :D

My own music recently got 'tagged' on Last.fm as stoner, which amused me no end. I'm not a stoner ;)

Aylaa

Uncharacteristic is my character
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be insane about punk. I used to even be in a ska band for a while.

favorites- AFI (old), H20, mindless self indulgence, anti-flag, pennywise, lagwagon, nofx...ya its been long enough i can't even think of a good list anymore.

RIFF

Banned
Reaction score
Saw tons of them, including the racket that was Black Flag.) Oh, Henry... )
Punk Rock needs extremely careful cherry-picking to avoid the ocean of rubbish that it mostly was.
Fine when it's live and you are there thrashing away at the gig- but second-rate rock music coming out the speakers.
Still. What's on the HD here...Exploited, Spizz, Splodgenessabounds, Chron Gen, Varukers, Subs, Ruts, Siouxsie, Ultravox, ...fifty more. BUT- one, maybe two, at most a handful of songs per band- there was a lot of junk and noisy chordbanging from almost all of them.
And where is the date line? 1980? In 1980, trad punk was over, certainly in England it was, and Beaner was all the rage..
I'm in Canada where the 'punk' bands were wishywashy like all canuk art, and they are mostly back working at gas stations, or in jail. It was a fun time for a while, though!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... Black Flag is cool. Always dug Rollins.

In general, I like the brash sound of punk but despise the stereotypical lyrics I equate with the genre, "which are full of hate-mongering and bigotry." And then you've got neonazi skinheads who are into the stuff, which is a total turnoff.

So thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick to classical music by Chopin and the like.

Better to take a chance of being bored than disgusted.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy The Sex Pistols and the Ramones, as well as more modern groups like the Distillers and Rancid. Green Day are fun, but too political for me most of the time (I have a few albums though).

I pay little attention to the whole 'so and so aren't punk because XYZ' stuff. All that matters to me is whether I like the songs. :)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Exploited, Misfits, Bad Brains...

NoMeansNo, DOA, SNFU...

And then the ones that I saw locally Ramada Gods, FurnaceFace, Red Autumn Fall, Huevos Rancheros... ElCaminos sucked then and always will... (yeah, no one but me gets that, because unless you were in Calgary in 1990 and going to gigs every weekend...)

Pixies are coming next month... I need to find someone to go with me. Any takers?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I enjoyed the original punk rock movement of the '70s. It has real anger and emotion. It was not just political, it was an entire backlash against the excessiveness that was prog rock. The songs were short and simple.

My favorite band then was The Vibrators.

The stuff today seems to lack what that music did. Its like a rebel without a cause.

RIFF

Banned
Reaction score
The 1st Vibrators LP was fun, that was early. Punk was all about singles, hundreds of them. Most punk bands never made an album. Green Day are and have never been punkrok. There's tons of fun stuff hiding out, and not to forget- 'New Wave' music was pouring out at an equal rate, again singles galore. It really blasted off around 78, and if you were a rock musician at that time you had to choose sides, or try to be Eddie Van Halen.
Chopin is good too, I like their guitar player, is he the one chews lightbulbs while soloing? )