What are you reading?

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Mockingjay. I really shouldn't have read the entire "Hunger Games" trilogy in one go. Probably going to read one of the freebies I picked up on Project Gutenberg next - waffling between Peter Pan, Dracula or The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
Currently (and nearly finished) reading EverFound by Neal Shusterman. Such a great concept for a series/story and executed to perfection.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished One for the Money by Janet Evanoich - it was a cute humorous mystery about Stephanie Plum, a 30 year old who loses her job at the mall and agrees to be a bounty hunter for her cousin's business. The guy she has to catch is this guy who took her virginity in high school. Although a lot of it was unbelievable, I really enjoyed it.
Kinda...sorta...interested in seeing how bad the movie version is. :tongue

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 (Oxford History of the United States), Robert Middlekauff (Kindle edition; reading on Kindle for text and on iPad Kindle app for better graphics). I detoured into that to fill out the related chapters in A Pocket History of the United States. It has been a long time since I took classes in American History. The vivid details in Middlekauff's book are engrossing. I'd forgotten (or never fully learned) the extent of outright thuggery (especially in direct response to the Stamp Act) in the American colonies before the American Revolution.

--Ken

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Getting ready to start Black and Blue by Ian Rankin. Hubby was instantly addicted to Rankin when he read this book.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, and I have to say the book really underwhelmed me. Nothing really jumped out at me as spectacular, and perhaps it was just all the hype around the book raised expectations higher than they should have been raised, but I just didn't like it.

Onto Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenedes. I read The Marriage Plot earlier this year and really liked it, so expectations are high for this one.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
The Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey. Discovered this less than a week ago, and it has taken over my free time. It gives me hope that there is room for earthbound, dystopian, character-driven SF outside YA.

Meanwhile I'm still in process with The Road and Moby Dick. One I take in tiny bites because it's so depressing, the other because the language is so rich and dense.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
In the Skin of a Lion
Michael Ondaatje

hitchhiker

Human Torpedo
Registered
Reaction score
Raylan - Elmore Leonard. Just finished Dye Trying by Lee Child. Im just enjoying the Jack Reacher novels so much, and I have only a few more left until I'm forced to wait on the new releases. I'm spacing them out to make them last. I haven't decided what's next on the reading list.

Saavedra

a mean mother hubbard.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rubiemagazine.com
Karen Russell's Swamplandia! to satiate the thirst for fiction, and Franklin Foer's How Soccer Explains the World, "an {unlikely} theory of globalization," to make me seem worldly and well-read.

JoyceH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joyceharmon.wordpress.com
I'm rereading a bunch of Lee Childs' Reacher novels. I'd been reading a lot of Regencies (because my next writing project is going to be a Regency), but after a while, I dunno - the fellow who tried numerous times to kill the hero is allowed to escape to the Continent, the villain who tried to compromise the rich heroine so she'd have to marry him is allowed to retreat to his country estate, because otherwise there'd be a Scandal... after a while you start wishing that Jack Reacher would show up and kill a bunch of people.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Recently finished God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. I'm halfway through Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain by David Eagleman and I just started an MCAT study guide on Organic Chemistry, haha! I don't recommend that last one, but the first two are good.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
I LOVED Water for Elephants- a brilliant read, it pulls you into the story.
Currently reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (must do it in small bits as it is horrifying and emotional); also Pilgrim's Progress (must have time to engage in the language of the book); To be read includes Christmas in Wales, Elemental Fire (by our own Lady Cat!), Jill Deacon's There's Lead in Your Lipstick, [now insert King of Siam's Etceterah, etceterah, etceterah!] :D I need more hours! lol