Female Stalkers in YA

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I see what you're saying. There's some overlap there, sure. They are wildly different demographics though--I doubt that marketing decisions were made based on them appealing to the readerships of YA literature. But yeah, there's overlap.

Fatal Frame gets marketed?:ROFL:

J/K. I see what you're saying, too. I definitely didn't mean I thought, while Tecmo and/or the translators were working on Fatal Frame 3, they said, "Huh, those L.J. Smith books are selling. Let's hit up the same audience." It was more the overlap and the common themes. Like how the twins were getting old enough to realize they could never keep their promise to "always be together," or how everything went wrong with Kirie because her family basically tried to keep her in an infantile "innocent" state and couldn't because she fell in love. Y'know how people say if Carrie were released today, it'd be shelved in the YA section? I think on the same note, if Fatal Frame were a novel, it'd be shelved in the YA section.

Then again, I could be totally wrong about that.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I think on the same note, if Fatal Frame were a novel, it'd be shelved in the YA section.
Huh--put that way, I reckon you're right. Although I'd prefer a manga tie-in myself.

/derail (sorry--the horror geek is done now, carry on)

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
The HARRY POTTER series had some female stalker-types (the one that tried using the love potion on Harry in book 5? Both Lavender and Ginny, to a certain extent?)

In the book TIGER LILY by Jodi Lynn Anderson, Tiger Lily kind of ends up sort of stalking Peter Pan.

Pretty much all of the girls in THE SELECTION by Kiera Cass are prince-stalkers, though that's kind of the point of the novel.

Mandiloo322

[Shhhh....I'm writing.]
Registered
Reaction score
I think there is just a little social misunderstanding happening.

When a girl really likes a boy, she has a crush. She giggles to her friends and happens to bump into him all over the place, but gosh darnit she's just so cute about it! She just couldn't be a stalker. She's just being interested and adorable.

When a boy really likes a girl, he can't work up the nerve to speak to her, and ends up staring at her constantly. He bumps into her all over the place. He leaves her cryptic messages in the hope she'll figure it out, and then when she does respond he spends every waking moment with her because he can't believe his good luck. Unfortunately, his quiet presence in every aspect of her life (especially when he watches her sleep) lines up with a lot of stalker traits.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I don't know, I think there's a big difference between a boy with a crush and Edward vampiring himself in your room at night to watch you sleep . . . lol!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
But it's almost like girl-on-boy violence being played for fun. Like, she slapped her boyfriend over some minor disagreement? Oh, she's such a sexy, hot-tempered biotch. He slapped his girlfriend because she admitted she cheated on him, burned his house and killed all his relatives? Eww, he's such a creepy, violent abuser.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
There's a debut coming out this year with a female stalker, I think?

OCD Love Story. At least, I assume it deals with that, because the cover has "I must not stalk that boy" written all over it like a zillion times... :D

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I think there is just a little social misunderstanding happening.

When a girl really likes a boy, she has a crush. She giggles to her friends and happens to bump into him all over the place, but gosh darnit she's just so cute about it! She just couldn't be a stalker. She's just being interested and adorable.

When a boy really likes a girl, he can't work up the nerve to speak to her, and ends up staring at her constantly. He bumps into her all over the place. He leaves her cryptic messages in the hope she'll figure it out, and then when she does respond he spends every waking moment with her because he can't believe his good luck. Unfortunately, his quiet presence in every aspect of her life (especially when he watches her sleep) lines up with a lot of stalker traits.

A problem with discussions like this is that everyone has a slightly different idea of where the line is between acceptable and "Lock him up, he's a stalker!"