William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Could Jim Webb Mount Credible Challenge to Clinton?

The former one-term Virginia senator and Vietnam War veteran is making sounds about running for president as a Democrat. He was in Iowa last month; a New Hampshire trip may be in the offing, and he's giving a major speech at the National Press Club in two weeks.

He seems an improbable candidate. He has taken illiberal positions, was President Ronald Reagan's Navy secretary, has few relationships within the Democratic Party, and has no serious fundraising network.

What he does possess is a long-held and forceful opposition to U.S. interventions in Iraq and Libya, and potentially Syria, as well as solid anti-Wall Street credentials. In Democratic primaries, these may be Clinton's greatest impediments to rallying a hard-core activist base.

----

Clinton has close ties to Wall Street, a source of campaign funds for her and the Clinton Foundation. Since leaving office, she has received large speaking fees from hedge funds, private-equity companies and big banks such as Goldman Sachs Group Inc.

Webb, 68, has long taken a populist, anti-Wall Street stance. In 2007, he delivered the Democratic response to President George W. Bush's State of the Union address. Webb declared that the health of American society should be measured "not with the numbers that come out of Wall Street, but with the living conditions that exist on Main Street."
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-09-07/could-jim-webb-mount-credible-challenge-to-clinton

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
He's an impressive guy, to be sure. But the obvious obstacles are cited in what you quoted. Still, it would be interesting to see some other serious Dem contenders emerge by next spring or so. That might even be good for Hilary Clinton, through heightening the interest in the campaign.

caw

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
If a serious contender emerges in the primary race, I'd lay odds it's someone younger. A lot of Democrats seem to worry about Clinton's age being an issue.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few others hinting at running, like former Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer. It wouldn't be a shock to see someone emerge as a credible alternative to Clinton. Usually, someone does make some noise for a while.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
before folks realize it's mostly the PACs and superdelegates determining it...

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
peddle your ageist bullshit elsewhere, peter pan...

peddle your the-best-is-yet-to-be, I'm-not-dead-yet bullshit elsewhere, methuselah

I'm sure a contender or two will emerge. The question is whether they'll pose a serious threat to Clinton in the primary race.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
peddle your the-best-is-yet-to-be, I'm-not-dead-yet bullshit elsewhere, methuselah

I'm sure a contender or two will emerge. The question is whether they'll pose a serious threat to Clinton in the primary race.
It'll depend on how seriously indebted to the PACs and superdelegates they're willing to become.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Gah. One is so torn -- on the one hand, a woman for president. I mean, I voted for Dixy Lee Ray (first woman governor of WA), who was a Democrat but who wound up alienating many liberals because of some of her policies on energy and the environment, etc. So these supporters of Clinton have some thinking to do.

Jack Asher

Differently rational
Registered
Reaction score
Considering the problems our first black president has had, just by having the nerve to be black, can you imagine what the first woman president would go through? There are elements in our political system that will refuse to take orders from a woman.

Katherine Gillibrand (junior senator from New York) can't stand on the floor of the senate without getting harassed. When naked pictures of celebrities are stolen the prevailing opinion is that the deserved it for taking naked pictures in the first place.

There were some Democrats who flat out couldn't bring themselves to vote for a black man. How will they deal with a woman?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gah. One is so torn -- on the one hand, a woman for president. I mean, I voted for Dixy Lee Ray (first woman governor of WA), who was a Democrat but who wound up alienating many liberals because of some of her policies on energy and the environment, etc. So these supporters of Clinton have some thinking to do.

If Jim Webb is supposed to be the alternative to Hillary Clinton they won't have to think too long or hard.

Webb was a Marine who boxed Oliver North and served in Vietnam. He churned out interesting, if occasionally overwritten, books. “Fields of Fire” was one of the best ever written about Vietnam. And before he became a politician, he said things about liberals that make “Macaca” sound like a term of endearment.

“Jane Fonda can kiss my ass,” he once told a radio interviewer of Hanoi Jane. “I wouldn’t walk across the street to watch her slit her wrist.”

Bill Clinton could kiss Webb’s ass too. “Every time I see him salute a Marine,” he said of our smarmy 42nd president, “it infuriates me.”

When Clinton finally left office in 2001, Webb gave him a goodbye kick in the pants on the Wall Street Journal op-ed page: “It is a pleasurable experience to watch Bill Clinton finally being judged, even by his own party, for the ethical fraudulence that has characterized his entire political career.”

For over 20 years, Webb said he wouldn’t shake John Kerry’s hand over the Massachusetts senator’s anti-Vietnam activities. He resigned as Ronald Reagan’s secretary of the navy because the Gipper wasn’t spending enough on national defense.

Webb extolled the virtues of Southern culture as “the greatest inhibitor of the plans of the activist Left and the cultural Marxists for a new kind of society altogether” and the biggest “obstacle to the collectivist taming of America, symbolized by the edicts of political correctness.”

He even honored the Confederate war dead: “I am not here to apologize for why they fought, although modern historians might contemplate that there truly were different perceptions in the North and South about those reasons, and that most Southern soldiers viewed the driving issue to be sovereignty rather than slavery.”

Webb called affirmative action “a permeating state-sponsored racism that is as odious as the Jim Crow laws it sought to countermand.”
If Webb disappointed The Daily Caller on the Right, his brief stint as a U.S. Senator did the same for The Daily Beast on the Left:

That 2006 Webb campaign had the feel of a forced march, a mood that very much reflected the candidate himself. His public appearances had all the spontaneous joy of a line inspection at Camp Lejeune. Webb spoke with a flat, matter-of-fact voice, always in earnest tones. He possessed none of the innate muscle memory of a natural pol—the ready banter, the easy saunter, the reflexive hand-to-shoulder intimacy. His campaign smile usually seemed the product of considerable exertion.

Webb’s moment was short-lived. The heart of his Senate term, the middle two years, came at a time when Democrats, heady with electoral triumph (owing at least partly to the recruitment of such centrist figures as Webb), were governing insistently from the left. Webb personally warned President Obama that the all-out push for health-care reform would be “ a disaster” for the party. Webb’s sort of Democrat fell from favor within the party during the course of one senatorial cycle, and became a vanishing breed by last November.

When Webb declared himself out of a re-election run, it was widely supposed that he had little chance of winning anyway. This is probably true. His likely opponent in 2012 would have been George Allen, who only narrowly lost to Webb in 2006 even after running a campaign that was a classic of self-immolation. But Webb’s closest friends believe that it wasn’t the fight Webb dreaded, it was the prospect of another victory—and having to spend another term in the Senate.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...er-ends-peter-j-boyer-on-the-real-reason.html
This is the guy supposed to take on Hillary, a natural politician who thrives on the campaign life like a college freshman does pizza?

I have no doubt challengers will emerge to challenge Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination (should she choose to run), but I'm unconvinced Jim Webb would be the most formidable one.