How squirmish are you?

Are yoiu squirmish?

• Oh god yes

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • A little bit

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I prefer not to hear about someone's flesh being ripped off, but it doesn't bother me too much

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • *looks up from mangled body, blood dripping from teeth* Not at all.

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I was just wondering how squirmish everyone is, and if writers from different genres tend to be more or less squirmish than others.

I can watch movies and read stories with all levels of morbid, squirm-worthy things in them and they don't bother me at all. But then I go to write my own horror stories, and suddenly I'm writhing like a worm. I love writing horror, but I can't write it for very long without taking a break.

How about you?

Redd Ryden

I'm the Head-ParrotHead!
Registered
Reaction score
Where's the party???-- I got the KEY to the cage--
If it's someone who (IMHO) deserves it, like say: Ted Bundy or Mr. Soap-On-A-Rope Saddam-- I say: Bring it on!-- Pass the popcorn!

But-- in really, real life... I'm mushy. It's always somebody's child, mom, dad, sister, brother... So, it has to be someone truly horrible before I'm'a grinnin'. I'm such a mush, lately, I can hardly stand to watch the news.

On the other hand-- I can read or write gory FICTION! The gory-er the better, usually.

PASS THE BLOODY POPCORN, DAMMIT!

:popcorn:

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed gore in movies as long as there's a point for it being there.

Terrible at writing it, though. Horror always comes out sounding melodramatic to me. :D

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends. Things done to little kids and harmless creatures bother me a great deal.

But I'm also married to a paramedic. We can discuss gory car wrecks over a heaping plate of spaghetti and wonder why everyone else is turning green.

But when I read Time to Kill by Grisham (or close enough for the title) I almost didn't finish the book because of the beginning. Until I realized he was setting up the rest of the book--and if I could get through that part, the rest would be easy. And it was. Didn't make me want to see the movie, though.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends. Things done to little kids and harmless creatures bother me a great deal.

But I'm also married to a paramedic. We can discuss gory car wrecks over a heaping plate of spaghetti and wonder why everyone else is turning green.

But when I read Time to Kill by Grisham (or close enough for the title) I almost didn't finish the book because of the beginning. Until I realized he was setting up the rest of the book--and if I could get through that part, the rest would be easy. And it was. Didn't make me want to see the movie, though.

I'm totally with you on this. It's one of the reasons I don't do Crimes Against Children's cases anymore. But I can stare at autopsy photos of adults all day long without freaking out.

I can read anything too, unless it's bad things being done to little kids or animals.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I've got a pretty strong stomach -- in addition to having three kids and their assorted bodily fluids in my life, i also worked as an EMT for two years. It takes a lot to make me hurk.

On the other hand, three weeks ago my youngest had to go to the Ear Nose Throat doc for her broken nose, and the doc pulled out a booger the approximate size and shape of a small koi.

I thought I was going to keel over right then and there.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Not skirmish at all. Seen too much.

The only thing that bothers are those pictures of fingers or chests with the mouth of a Lamprey photo shopped onto the skin to make it look like. . .ugh ugh ugh!
I'm not joking, those pics scare the shit outta me.

I would post one but I doubt I could live through the search nor do I want to scar you guys.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ham sandwich in one hand, dissection tools in the other, flayed specimen in front of me....

Squeamish? Not. Need any sutures? I'm the one. ;)

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
I'm half and half.

I can't stand the idea of a child being hurt in any manner, but can dissect a recently killed chicken with nothing more than being annoyed my hands are slimy.

Ever since I gave birth, I lost my fear of needles (spent a month in the hospital with daily blood with drawls), and as long as the anesthesia keeps working, they can cut me all they want. Would I want to watch? NO.

Now here's a question I have: You can watch blood, gory and body parts flying across the TV fine, but can you stand cleaning up bodily waste (human or otherwise)?

I know some people who can do the former easily, but will retch if faced with the later.

Last edited:

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
No problem with violence, gore, or anything of that nature. Books, movies, whatever.

Oddly enough, what makes me uncomfortable or squirmy are more mundane situations. If a character is taking a serious nose dive in an important social situation, or really attacks someone emotionally or things like that.

Oh, and don't kill the dog.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
If it's movie drama gore, no problemo at all. I can watch Jason hack apart anyone.

If it's real people hurt in real situations (like one of those reality-ambulance-rescue shows) I will get ill and crawl out of my skin in seconds.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now here's a question I have: You can watch blood, gory and body parts flying across the TV fine, but can you stand cleaning up bodily waste (human or otherwise)?

I know some people who can do the former easily, but will retch if faced with the later.

Oh, oh. I'm the one who can't watch it on TV. Real life? No problemo. Icky movies are just ... icky. :Ssh:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I worked in preschool. My only issue with blood and vomit is that one of my co-workers got AIDS from one of the kids, and the parents are not required to disclose which one, so I don't know who to be REALLY careful around. They would come up to me and I would sprint for the nearest box of gloves.

The deep gory stuff doesn't bother me as much as mangled fingers, which is odd. And I can read just about anything without any problems. I cannot stand to see small children or animals being hurt, though. That just sucks.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Huh.

Why'd I write "skirmish"?

Reaction score
I worked in preschool. My only issue with blood and vomit is that one of my co-workers got AIDS from one of the kids, and the parents are not required to disclose which one...

Fuck.

I mean, really. Fuck.

I'd quit. No job's worth risking my health and life.

(ETA: How can you get AIDs from working with a kid who has it unless you drank their blood)?

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Fuck.

I mean, really. Fuck.

(ETA: How can you get AIDs from working with a kid who has it unless you drank their blood)?

Hypothetically, what about having all of your limbs slashed little by little with white-hot dental tools soaked in lemon juice and dipped in salt if it would save the world and bring peace forever to mankind?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I don't like gory movies - I watch them through my fingers, or through the teeny-tiny holes of a crocheted blanket (I'm such a girl!). The scene in Poltergeist, where the guy rips his face off - ugh - I have to leave the room for that. I also have to leave the room for the boil-the-bunny scene in Fatal Attraction. I can't stand things happening to children or animals.

As for reality, I have two kids, so someone's always leaking, bleeding, barfing, or some other yuck. I've learned to take a deep breathe before, and I'm real good at holding it until I'm done. I don't hardly pass out no more or nothing. ;)

weatherfield

Registered
Reaction score
This is a tricky question.

I'm squeamish in that I don't like watching the news. I hate how they show people being wheeled away on gurneys, because I always think what if someone's sitting in a bar or something and they look up and realize they know that person? I don't like when they show the skycam footage of the accidents on the interstate, even though it's low on actual gore, and I particularly hate hearing that terrible things have happened to children or animals.

The flipside is, if it's from a scientific point of view, I have no problem. I've always loved anatomy and dissection. Every time I've had surgery, stitches, or an IV put in, I've been very fascinated by the process. I like to watch them take blood. I have some titanium pins and screws in my knee, and before they went in, I unnerved the orthopedic surgeon by asking if I could hold them to see what they were like (he was very obliging).

I also have a weirdly high threshold if it's part of my job. For a while (five years), my day-job was as a lab technician in a photo shop. Eventually, I wound up being the exclusive handler of the district crime scene account for the police department. It was assigned to me on the premise that I had good attention to detail, and admittedly, there were a lot numbers to write down and special instructions to follow, but mostly, I think I got it because none of the other girls wanted to deal with it. It was bad sometimes--I won't deny that. In theory, I always knew that the human body has a lot of blood in it, but it's different seeing it all over everything. Still, I could always do the job, and mostly found it interesting.

Elincoln asked about actual bodily fluids, and as far as that goes, I'm pretty impervious. In high school, I wound up being the drunk-sitter by default a lot of times because vomit doesn't really bother me. I mean, like any rational person, I prefer to avoid it, but it's not intolerable. The same goes for blood. In the ninth grade, I had health teacher who'd been in Vietnam. He was obsessed with first aid and violent wounds, and so we spent the whole quarter looking at pictures and learning the patch people up. Once, when we were looking at color plates of dog bites and compound fractures, my desk-partner passed out and I got to treat him for shock.

Yeah, I'd have to say that oddly, gore bothers me less when I'm somehow involved than when it's completely removed from me and I can't do anything about it.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm totally with you on this. It's one of the reasons I don't do Crimes Against Children's cases anymore. But I can stare at autopsy photos of adults all day long without freaking out.

I can read anything too, unless it's bad things being done to little kids or animals.
Hey, I wanna see the autopsy photos!

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I used to babysit all the time (before I flew off my rocker, that is), and I have a LOT of animals and always have. I'm used to walking into a room, saying, "Oh my god.... I can't- How did they- This is impossible!" and grabbing a roll of toilet paper/towel and latex gloves. I've cleaned bodily fluids and beyond.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Fuck.

I mean, really. Fuck.

One: someone's gotta do the job, or it's not getting done.

Two: you can get AIDs from any bodily fluid, except for saliva (well, you can, but you'd have to drink almost a quart or something). Even puke contracts AIDS.