Mama Jude's Pep Talk

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Not really sure I need a pep talk, per se, but a hug would be nice.

Anyway got a new update on subs and while we haven't heard back from a couple of people, it's pretty much at the end of the line. The part that's simultaneously kinda cool and sucky? They like the book, but it's being rejected on marketing. Not really a whole lot I can do to fix that.

Anyway I figured awhile back that this book was basically dead in the water, but it still hurts to hear. Especially when pretty much everyone is saying that the book itself is great. I mean, we're always told that all you have to do is write a great book. I did that. But it still isn't good enough.

*Goes off to mope*

:Hug2:
and NO! This book so needs to be published! They are insane and I don't want to try to publish anything esle if the industry doesn't see that!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Anyway got a new update on subs and while we haven't heard back from a couple of people, it's pretty much at the end of the line. The part that's simultaneously kinda cool and sucky? They like the book, but it's being rejected on marketing. Not really a whole lot I can do to fix that.

:Hug2: I am so sorry Kaitie,. :Hug2:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I'm so sorry. :(

That was truly one of the most fun books I've ever read. It deserved to be published. Really. We always knew that placement was going to be the sticking point. But it should have been SOMEWHERE!

::goes to mope with kaitie::

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Is it one of those super chocolaty peanut butter cupcakes from that super yummy place that I can't remember the name of? Cuz if so I approve.

And thanks, Shea. I'm kind of torn between feeling like "I managed to be that percent that did everything right and still fails" and "Well, obviously you just aren't good enough yet."

Just feeling kind of bummed and insecure at the moment, I suppose.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I'm so sorry. :(

That was truly one of the most fun books I've ever read. It deserved to be published. Really. We always knew that placement was going to be the sticking point. But it should have been SOMEWHERE!

::goes to mope with kaitie::

This is one of those days that if we lived near enough we'd all go down to an ice cream place and have a ridiculously huge banana split together.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, absolutely.

You are that good. I blame the people who don't know what to do with a different book.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Is it one of those super chocolaty peanut butter cupcakes from that super yummy place that I can't remember the name of? Cuz if so I approve.
Of course it is!

The book is awesome. Publishers and jude and other notables said so.

Now I send you a virtual salted caramel cupcake, from a different cupcake place. It is amazing.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
That really sucks Kaitie. Haven't read the book but given all the folks on here who are saying it's good, I'm believing it's brilliant. Really hope someone comes along who's clever enough to see that and push it to the next step. Til then, all I can offer is a hug and a virtual cookie.
Z

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I had a real cookie to go with the virtual ones earlier and that helped a little. I fully intend to treat myself to something good, though. In Japan I'd have gone to my favorite Indian restaurant. Granted, I always went there if I was bummed, or if something great happened and I wanted to celebrate, or, you know, it was Tuesday. Don't have a great Indian place here that I've found, but I'm sure I can get to something else that will suffice.

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. It means a lot. I'm bummed, but trying to motivate myself to get to work my way through this. I mean, it's like everything else in this business, right? If it doesn't work, write something new and try again.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm bummed, but trying to motivate myself to get to work my way through this. I mean, it's like everything else in this business, right? If it doesn't work, write something new and try again.

Yes. Give yourself some time and chocolate, the great healers of wounds. Then get back up, put one foot in front of the other, and keep moving. That's the only way we'll ever get to our goals, whatever they are.

I believe in you, kaitie!

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
What Jude said- you are an amazing, talented writer Kaitie- never ever doubt that!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a real cookie to go with the virtual ones earlier and that helped a little. I fully intend to treat myself to something good, though. In Japan I'd have gone to my favorite Indian restaurant. Granted, I always went there if I was bummed, or if something great happened and I wanted to celebrate, or, you know, it was Tuesday. Don't have a great Indian place here that I've found, but I'm sure I can get to something else that will suffice.

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. It means a lot. I'm bummed, but trying to motivate myself to get to work my way through this. I mean, it's like everything else in this business, right? If it doesn't work, write something new and try again.

Sorry to hear about the Subs, Kaitie.:Hug2:

Treat yourself to something wickedly sinful and take a minute to mope - you're entitled to that. Then, as you say, get your pen out and write yourself some motivation.;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to get my boyfriend to skip class and take me to lunch, but unfortunately he's too responsible for that. :tongue

Anyway, I have three tests to make for tomorrow so I've definitely got plenty to do to keep myself occupied. Maybe on the next book I'll learn to write faster. Seems a worthwhile goal, and one that would be beneficial to a career.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
You mean the superhero one? Cause if that's the one, and marketing is an issue then they just aren't paying attention to what's up at the movies. And the Justice League of America (DC comics) movie is suppose to come out next year. I is baffled. Must just be timing. It sure the hell ain't cause of the writing.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That be the one. And yeah, I'd think with the resurgence of comic books and the movies and everything it would be big, but I guess the idea is just that what sells in comic form won't sell in novel form.

I don't understand it, either, to be honest. I figured those things would be an advantage. It's also possible that the other superhero books being released aren't selling as well, and so maybe they're assuming based on that that the market isn't there.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Well if the DC movie comes out next year, can they bring a book back around? Or maybe after your second book gets published :), if comic heroes are still hot that publisher may want the first one. I wouldn't totally give up on it. I've seen your other work. You're a great writer. Sometimes the second book gets published before the first.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This was supposed to be my "in" book! :e2thud:

Really, though, I'll just have to hope that the next one turns out as good as the one I had before. I'm loving the idea, though I worry a little that it might be too out there. And I do have one on the backburners that I can always revisit that I greatly enjoy.

I'm hoping that you're right and that once I have another book or two under my belt I can come back to this one.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
You will, kaitie. The thing that stood out most to me in your post was the fact that you enjoy your writing so much. I just came back to writing about 2 1/2 years ago and while the industry part gets me down sometimes, the writing itself has made me so happy.

That's priceless.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You know, even when it's kicking my butt I love to do it? Is that weird? I've spent today writing out detailed notes for the next scene, and I'm still not sure if any of what I'm coming up with is any good, but at least it's fun to do lol.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it's weird, but it's what makes us write. :) I recently got an R that hurt down to the bone. Funnily enough, it spurred me on rather than damping my creative efforts.

(It still hurts, though.)

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
This was supposed to be my "in" book! :e2thud:

Really, though, I'll just have to hope that the next one turns out as good as the one I had before. I'm loving the idea, though I worry a little that it might be too out there. And I do have one on the backburners that I can always revisit that I greatly enjoy.

I'm hoping that you're right and that once I have another book or two under my belt I can come back to this one.

It probably doesn't help, but I know exactly how you feel. My first novel landed me an agent, I thought I had it made. Big NY agency, big crime thriller, but no. Not only did the book not sell, the agent dumped me. And here I am 15 years later with only a small-press published book to show for my work and feeling as if I just don't know how to write.

But you know how to write and you will write another book, and another, and eventually you will sell one. Keep going.

:e2cheer: