Nifty news on the breast cancer *cough* front: try squeezing -- it might be preventative (NSFW)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Yes. 'Tis true. A good squeeze session (self-administered, or assisted) on a regular basis can potentially prevent breast cancer.

And neither this thread, nor the below link, are in any way safe for work.

http://now.msn.com/squeezing-breasts-can-stop-cancer

Squeezing breasts could prevent cancer, best study ever says

MSN -- Tuesday, December 18, 2012

... New research has shown that squeezing breasts could prevent malignant breast cells from causing cancer. This doesn’t give pervy dudes license to grope you on the subway, ladies, but it does mean boob-grabbing should be a regular part of your self-care routine (yes, absolutely try it DIY-style)....

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I can hardly wait to see what the clever t-shirt design people responsible for "free mustache rides" and "I'm With Stoopid" can come up with.

"Certified Breast Exerciser"

"Voluntary Boobie Walker"

"A Squeeze a Day Keeps the Doctor Away"

:rolleyes:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I'm not sure if this is true...

Maybe not, but it at least sounds fun. ;)

Over the past few years, I've heard/read so many different and conflicting studies about breast cancer--what to eat, what not to eat, what drugs to take to prevent a recurrence, etc. My public service announcement: breast self exams are vital for early detection, and a woman can have her partner help with this as well. :D (This is how my first occurrence was caught, through a self-exam and subsequent mammogram.)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My public service announcement: breast self exams are vital for early detection, and a woman can have her partner help with this as well. :D

My husband insists on helping! :D

And I'm glad you caught yours!

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Self exams are important but you're never really told what an abnormal lump is meant to feel like or given examples, so I worry about which lump is a gland and which is an abnormal one. I don't know they all feel abnormal to me.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Self exams are important but you're never really told what an abnormal lump is meant to feel like or given examples, so I worry about which lump is a gland and which is an abnormal one. I don't know they all feel abnormal to me.

It's true, so many younger women have dense breasts, and benign cysts are very common--they might come and go due to diet or menstrual cycles.

It helps to get to know them, though, and feel for something new and different. It's tough, I know. Self-exams were something I always knew were important but not necessarily something I did monthly. Once in a while, I'd do the cursory check, then one day in the shower, I felt something that didn't seem quite right, probed at it a few days, had my husband feel it. I wanted to brush it off, but he urged me to go to the doctor. I was young, so this was years before I'd have any scheduled mammograms. It turned out to be cancer.

If you're in doubt, have a professional give you an exam.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's true, so many younger women have dense breasts, and benign cysts are very common--they might come and go due to diet or menstrual cycles.

It helps to get to know them, though, and feel for something new and different. It's tough, I know. Self-exams were something I always knew were important but not necessarily something I did monthly. Once in a while, I'd do the cursory check, then one day in the shower, I felt something that didn't seem quite right, probed at it a few days, had my husband feel it. I wanted to brush it off, but he urged me to go to the doctor. I was young, so this was years before I'd have any scheduled mammograms. It turned out to be cancer.

If you're in doubt, have a professional give you an exam.

That's how my mom's was caught, too, way back in the day.

rant:

I've noticed that my docs at my old GP didn't give breast exams. They encouraged me to get my GYN annual done with them, but no breast exam? I asked them to do it and they actually said no.

Meanwhile, a mammogram caught something that did need removing. I'm so bad at not knowing what a cyst is compared to other things :( I get a lot of hormonal changes throughout the month.

I think anyone doing gynecology should do a breast exam any damn time the patient asks. Charge more, sure, but don't say no. No, I'm not asking for kicks. Jaysus. My male dog gets a better reproductive physical exam.

/rant

The squeezing thing is great. Now I'll have to remember to feel myself up throughout the day!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
That's how my mom's was caught, too, way back in the day.

rant:

I've noticed that my docs at my old GP didn't give breast exams. They encouraged me to get my GYN annual done with them, but no breast exam? I asked them to do it and they actually said no.

Meanwhile, a mammogram caught something that did need removing. I'm so bad at not knowing what a cyst is compared to other things :( I get a lot of hormonal changes throughout the month.

I think anyone doing gynecology should do a breast exam any damn time the patient asks. Charge more, sure, but don't say no. No, I'm not asking for kicks. Jaysus. My male dog gets a better reproductive physical exam.

/rant

The squeezing thing is great. Now I'll have to remember to feel myself up throughout the day!

They're easy enough to do; I don't know why the gynecologists don't do them. Do they not have the expertise maybe, or think they don't? When I think about it, mine doesn't either. My oncologist does every visit though.

Have fun feeling yourself up! :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:D :D

I think it's their paymasters, honestly. They really discourage a women taking any of her clothes off, ever. I have a back problem, and I noticed how odd it was when it came up then.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Once the breast tissue structure was formed the cells stopped growing, even when the compressive force was removed. Non-compressed cells continued to display the haphazard and uncontrolled growth that leads to cancer.

This, of course, shows no real indication that an abnormal cell (or colony of cells) in a preexisting breast can self-correct under pressure.

I'd love for someone at armyofwomen.org to comment.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't another plausible-looking-but-fake press release that the mainstream media buy into and "report on" as "news," is it? There's been a lot of that going around in recent years.
This, of course, shows no real indication that an abnormal cell (or colony of cells) in a preexisting breast can self-correct under pressure.

I'd love for someone at armyofwomen.org to comment.
A preexisting breast???

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
This isn't another plausible-looking-but-fake press release that the mainstream media buy into and "report on" as "news," is it? There's been a lot of that going around in recent years.

A preexisting breast???

Yes.

This was not a report of a strategy for preventing growth of malignant cells in actual, natural breasts.

A lab seems to have been able to get a malignant cell colony to (behave like stem cells and) build normal breast tissue inside a silicone bag.

Once again, the summarized headline bears no resemblance to the original discovery.

Which is unfortunate, since this event may give researchers a way to work the problem from both directions if at least some cancer cells types are not unremittingly malignant.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it was probably picked up for sensationalism. I have a pet peeve about how these things are reported, too.

OTOH, it's not going to hurt (overall, anyway) if women get more bloodflow to that area. It is an area lots of us tend to ignore or even avoid except in certain circumstances. While 'squeezing' we may also notice an abnormality. It's all good, imho.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score

Sometimes it's very obvious - I had (and still have) a fibroadenoma that is so clearly not part of my normal tissue that even the GP, on examining me, seemed surprised by it.

Fibroadenomas, by the way, feel hard and rubbery and move around when pushed - my doctor referred to it as a 'breast mouse'.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
OK, this may be off topic, but bear with me...

About five years ago I had to have open heart surgery. During the time before and after surgery, I did a lot of research about the heart. I wanted to know what the hell they were going to do...

One of the research topics I found was on healing the heart with our own muscle cells from the patients legs. It seem that in Europe, they are growing patients own muscle cells and then injecting them into hearts that are partially damaged from heart attacks.

The idea is that muscle from the legs heal/regenerate faster than any other muscles in the body. And since the heart is a muscle, the idea was to help the heart heal once its been damaged. Five years ago, they were having good results in the test.

Now, isn't a woman's breast muscle, for the most part. This might also be a way to heal a woman's breast after she has had cancer removed. Reading this thread just made me wonder if this would be possible. I think I read somewhere that Suzanne Summers had a treatment very similar to this and had to get special permission to have it performed in the U.S. as part of clinical trials.

As far as squeezing the breast though to stop or reduce cancer that has already taken hold... I am not too sure about that, but hell, I would be glad to help out in any trials anyone wants to start. All in the name of science...

(Disclaimer, I make no guarantee or warranties that doing so would get rid of cancer...)

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:)

Breasts are predominantly fat (with a bunch of glandular and ductile tissue throughout), overhanging the muscular chest wall. But yes, one's own stem cells can be used to regrow all sorts of tissue...breast, knee ligament, etc..

Stem cell reconstruction is done after solid tumor(s) are removed and (usually) the entire system treated to purge any mobile cancer cells.

Ms. Somers' medical team has done about 150 subsequent procedures.

This is the (graphic) show-and-tell of her procedure (she did not have chemo or radiation after surgery):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt55cTQEoHk

Last edited:

GrayLensman

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Well, then, I'm never getting breast cancer! :D
Dammit. Cut that out. I'm too much a pervert to keep the image out of my head. :evil

Anyway, I don't see why this wouldn't work. Chiropractic medicine has turned into a caricature of itself with some advocate making all kinds of wild claims about what it can cure. But I think there's some "there" there, in the idea that physical stimulation of the body is good for it.

Erotic, sensual, therapeutic, they all overlap. Frankly, why *wouldn't* this work?

Melanie Dawn

Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.
Registered
Reaction score
I won't be getting cancer then, I do plenty of squeezing if mine on my own LMAO