• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Behler Publications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
If not possible, they might want to reword their submission page to clearly state they do not accept fiction.

Did you not click on the 'Submissions' link on the Behler home page, whose link you DID include in your post?

Because if you HAD clicked through to the 'Submissions' page, this is what you would've seen:

Behler_submissions.gif

How the hell more clearly could someone state that they don't accept fiction????????

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with LillyPu. I think Spentastico is at a disadvantage in this conversation because he doesn't seem to know that many of the posters here are friends with Lynn, who is a member of the board. I'm sure that is coloring the interpretation of the exchange between them -- she's getting more benefit of doubt than he is.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
What part of "we're all done discussing whether or not Spentastico did even the teensiest bit of research into this publisher before blasting off an inappropriate query from his day-job -- THEN rushing over to AW to try and trash said publisher's reputation because he didn't like the tone of the response he got to said inappropriate query--a response that was utterly avoidable if he'd done even minimal research" did you guys miss?

Put it down. It's over.

By the way, kellion92, come over here and say that to my face. My problem with spentastico has nothing to do with who the publisher was. There's no "benefit of the doubt" to be given, here -- and people have said repeatedly that, indeed, Lynn was snippier than necessary. So what?

The thing is, this isn't a legitimate complaint about a publisher. It's a butthurt newbie author who didn't research the publisher, didn't double-check his own facts, then made a stupid newb mistake. That's not a big deal, all by itself. It happens all the time.

But when he came rushing over here to smear crap on a publisher's reputation because HE made a stupid newb mistake? That's what I object to. That's just plain churlish and spiteful, and that's NOT what this forum is about, nor an appropriate use of this space.

Now, if Behler isn't paying authors, or is abusing writers under contract and their agents, or isn't sending royalty statements in a timely fashion, and someone with a Behler contract has tried to work it out with them, but failed, and wants to post here and address that situation?

They can and should --because THAT'S what this space is for.

Last edited:

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Did you not click on the 'Submissions' link on the Behler home page, whose link you DID include in your post?

Because if you HAD clicked through to the 'Submissions' page, this is what you would've seen:

Behler_submissions.gif

How the hell more clearly could someone state that they don't accept fiction????????
Terie, I didn't go by the BLOG, just the website page found from googling. Like I said, the publishers I submit to don't have blogs. But, thanks for this, because now I know to also look for blogs, if they have one, because it would be more updated. The blog of Behler definitely states wide and clear what they accept. I wonder why they don't fix their website page submission guidelines. Anyway... I see where someone might get confused. It pays to research more. No harm in that, only gain.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aside, I too, am wondering if the author of an e-mail holds copyright in the e-mail?

Uncle Jim, when you have time, please?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Terie, I didn't go by the BLOG, just the website page found from googling. Like I said, the publishers I submit to don't have blogs. But, thanks for this, because now I know to also look for blogs, if they have one, because it would be more updated. The blog of Behler definitely states wide and clear what they accept. I wonder why they don't fix their website page submission guidelines. Anyway... I see where someone might get confused. It pays to research more. No harm in that, only gain.

Go to http://www.behlerpublications.com. The link you yourself provided.

At the bottom of the page...see that 'submissions' link? Click it.

IOW, you don't have to go to the blog to get that page. You merely have to click on the 'Submissions' link from the home page or any other page on the site.

While it is definitely a good idea to check out a prospective publisher's or agent's blog, that's not the lesson here. The lesson is to click on the 'submissions' link on the home page.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If it's not already clear enough to you all following Mac's comment:

the Spentastico vs Lynn discussion is over.

Let's move on, thank you.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You may want to try typing Behler Publications into Google and Submissions comes up. If you click on that, it leads you to the page it led me to. We're looking at two different pages? Google is the first line of info writers, usually, look for guidelines to submit. Your page is the blog page. Either way, think of others who would get confused... Thank you for taking the time to clarify, and provide a correct link, but since I don't write nonfiction, I'm sure it'll help others.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If it's not already clear enough to you all following Mac's comment:

the Spentastico vs Lynn discussion is over.

Let's move on, thank you.
Sorry. But that's not what I was discussing. I only was discussing the guidelines of the publisher I found from Googling. Think of others who come upon the same outdated submission link I did. Is that not relevant to a publisher's thread? I don't know, obviously. And yes, I'm out... :)

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Yeah, I think the guy took it a bit far, but it's hardly the worst example I've seen of getting submission guidelines wrong. The wood and shackles of the Behler-blog pillory must have grown cold and we wouldn't want that.

Is it okay to reprint his emails like that?

Just to make clear for anybody who doesn't want to check the time stamps - Spentastico posted his exchange with Lynn Price here, plus the promise to post the details about the exchange he was having after that when it was over, prior to the blog entry at Behler being posted.

To further clarify things for anybody who may feel as kellion92 does: I do not know Lynn Price, either in person or around the board. I have never worked with her; I am unlikely to in the future as Behler only work with US based authors. Spentastico made a serious accusation about Lynn Price (that she was spreading lies about him) which I was in a position to verify was wrong. I don't know if it was my mail she referred to but I know it could have been. I have no axe to grind against Spentastico, no vendetta.

These are facts.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Over means Stop Posting About it.

I'm locking the thread while some of you contemplate basic concepts like the board owner telling you to move on, twice, and a SuperMod reminding you to move on.

Last edited:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
stack after stack of excuses, and “the-check-is-in-the-mail" publisher

After many requests, my agent and I, are again, begging--waiting for our statement/royalty, which is contractually due in May and November.

I have experienced everything from bullying to gross mismanagement of my book by this publisher. A list of misdeeds that goes on and on. After complaining about lack of statements in 2011, and all this publisher's misdeeds, Behler angrily offered my 'print' rights back to me and my agent, but refused the electronic rights, and only with the stipulation that I pay for all remainders, which would cause my family a great financial hardship. I strongly feel that holding an author's rights hostage in return for buying the publisher's remainder books is unethical and cruel.

My family and myself just want to be shed of this publisher. It has been heartbreaking.

Last edited:

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, LRB. Your book certainly deserves better.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
This is a very sad and frustrating situation, LRB. Thanks for posting your experience here.

I agree that "holding an author's rights hostage in return for buying the publisher's remainder books is unethical and cruel." I hope this gets resolved to your favor soon.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Behler angrily offered my 'print' rights back to me and my agent, but refused the electronic rights, and only with the stipulation that I pay for all remainders, which would cause my family a great financial hardship. I strongly feel that holding an author's rights hostage in return for buying the publisher's remainder books is unethical and cruel.

I don't know what's gone on between you and Behler, Little Red Barn: but when a writer wants out of her contract and there is stock of that book remaining, it's not unknown for the publisher to ask for the writer to cover the cost of those books as a condition of release. Once the contract is terminated the publisher no longer has the right to sell those books, so it's a logical (and often reasonable) step to take.

Whatever's gone wrong between you and Behler I hope that you sort things out swiftly and happily. From what you've said here it sounds like a difficult and miserable situation to be in, for all concerned.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
After giving this some thought, I've decided to reply because I won't allow our reputation to be sullied by false accusations.

I won't discuss the intricacies of our private business dealings, but we have proof that Kim has received all her royalty statements and her royalty checks, and there is no breach of contract. Were they late? Yes. We had changed distributors, and our previous distributor took over a year to close out their books, and there were many discrepancies that we had to sort out. This was explained to her agent, who passed this information along to Kim. Because of the closeout discrepancies, our statements were incomplete and late.

Furthermore, I will not sit by and allow statements of being bullied go unchallenged. Our correspondence has been professional and focused on the facts at all times. Where there are no legal grounds, meaning breach of contract, one can't simply walk away from a contract because they're unhappy. So yes, buying any unsold stock is an offered option for reversion of a contract, as it would be for most publishers who have suffered a huge loss for a title in question.

No one likes to see the dissolution of a personal relationship, and this has been unfortunate, but we will not engage in a trial of public opinion where no one but the concerned parties are in possession of the facts.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
After many requests, my agent and I, are again, begging--waiting for our statement/royalty, which is contractually due in May and November.

I have experienced everything from bullying to gross mismanagement of my book by this publisher. A list of misdeeds that goes on and on. After complaining about lack of statements in 2011, and all this publisher's misdeeds, Behler angrily offered my 'print' rights back to me and my agent, but refused the electronic rights, and only with the stipulation that I pay for all remainders, which would cause my family a great financial hardship. I strongly feel that holding an author's rights hostage in return for buying the publisher's remainder books is unethical and cruel.

My family and myself just want to be shed of this publisher. It has been heartbreaking.

Sorry to hear this, LRB. I do hope you and your family will be able to move on.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, LRB. It sound stressful and heartbreaking -- this has been quite a road.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have not posted carelessly where my life's work is concerned. I have waited for a long time to say anything in hopes of reaching a resolution to my documented difficulties with Behler. I still hope for a satisfactory resolution for all parties, and for us all to move on to better times.

Status
Not open for further replies.