• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Not sure what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I got a rejection from an editor in which he asked me to send some more of my work in. Needless to say, I was on Cloud 9 for a good while after that :)

Anyway, moving on. I am in the process of re-writing a story that I had put on the back burner for a while. It's a short story that I had gotten feedback on and re-wrote it trying to keep those comments in mind.

Now I am stuck and I literally only have a few paragraphs to write on the darn thing left! Am I expecting to much of myself?

Thoughts?

BotByte

Not a Reader, a Writer
Registered
Reaction score
What did the editor say about your writing?

If your writing is good, then your ideas are bad.

But if your ideas are good, then your writing is bad.

Sorry to break it to you, but I do think you're expecting too much.

But that's my opinion. Alright? Just, don't fall into depression from that.

Can you step us through what transpired and maybe we can point you at something you haven't seen?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'll disagree with BotByte, whose response seems...odd. If the editor asked for more, that's a very, very good thing! Congratulations!

It means that particular story wasn't quite what the editor wanted, but s/he thinks you're really good and probably have something s/he is willing to publish.

On to the next matter: If you're stuck on this new story, it means you don't know what to write next. Sit down and try to brainstorm it. Or take a walk and just think about it. Or leave it for a few days and come back after your subconscious has had a chance to chew on the matter.

Is it possible you're psyching yourself out because of the excitement provoked by the editor's interest? Possibly, but you'll get over it. Just concentrate on continuing to write. If you can't write this story, start something new and come back to this one.

You don't have to rush something to the editor, and in fact, you make the best possible impression if the next thing you send him/her is really good too--even if you send it six months from now.

Concentrate on quality, and give yourself time to work.

And congratulations again! This is very good news and you deserve to be happy about it!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll disagree with BotByte, whose response seems...odd. If the editor asked for more, that's a very, very good thing! Congratulations!

It means that particular story wasn't quite what the editor wanted, but s/he thinks you're really good and probably have something s/he is willing to publish.

On to the next matter: If you're stuck on this new story, it means you don't know what to write next. Sit down and try to brainstorm it. Or take a walk and just think about it. Or leave it for a few days and come back after your subconscious has had a chance to chew on the matter.

Is it possible you're psyching yourself out because of the excitement provoked by the editor's interest? Possibly, but you'll get over it. Just concentrate on continuing to write. If you can't write this story, start something new and come back to this one.

You don't have to rush something to the editor, and in fact, you make the best possible impression if the next thing you send him/her is really good too--even if you send it six months from now.

Concentrate on quality, and give yourself time to work.

And congratulations again! This is very good news and you deserve to be happy about it!

Yes, this. You might be freaking yourself out a little. Breathe. Breathe. Settle. And then write :)

ETA: I'm not sure what Botbyte is getting at. I think he might have just misread your post. Don't let it worry you.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
odd response from BotByte---

It is a good thing when an editor asks for more of your work. The rejection on the one piece only means it didn't fit their needs at the time.

Take a deep breath and step back and rethink what you are working on then go back to it.

BotByte

Not a Reader, a Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this. You might be freaking yourself out a little. Breathe. Breathe. Settle. And then write :)

ETA: I'm not sure what Botbyte is getting at. I think he might have just misread your post. Don't let it worry you.

Anyway, moving on.

Skipped that apparently.:Shrug:

I just had woken up, so I was everywhere at once.

Celtic, I'll go with the group and say Slow Down.

All good writing comes from a good, long process. It's like juicing grapes for wine, you need to slowly and gently squeeze them to release the right juices. (not like feet smashing and pulverizing that these bargain wine makers put out.) Then you let it rest, to forget it and come back to it when it is ready. You taste it, after forgetting what you have and it refreshes your tastes and then you can add sugar or yeast and touch at it.
Or throw it out and start a new batch. :D

Now go make your make your wine and fall face first in a stuper. :roll:

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I got a rejection from an editor in which he asked me to send some more of my work in. Needless to say, I was on Cloud 9 for a good while after that :)
Yeah, this is quite common. It's a polite rejection. A lot of people get them. It's still a rejection, but you're welcome to try subbing again.

I wouldn't focus too much on it, but if you have something else that's a good fit, send it in and don't sweat over it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
All good writing comes from a good, long process.
Not necessarily. Different things work for different people, and sometimes different things work for the same person at different times.

The only absolute when it comes to writing is that there are no absolutes. It might sound corny, but it's a good thing to remember.

Anyhoo, celtic, if an editor says they want to see more work from you, they want to see more work from you. So that's a yay!

In this case i'll echo jj, mccardey and SR: Don't stress! And don't feel you have to rush another story in. :)

I particularly like the advice to take a walk. Personally, i find that exercise lets my brain roam free, and often i find the answers to story problems i'd been stressing over pop up while i'm a-walkin'. Oxygen to the brain, and all that.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
If an editor asks you to send other work, that means he or she likes your writing; it was just that that particular story that didn't engage them. So congratulations! This is great.

As for being stuck--that happens in the normal course of writing anyway, doesn't it? And now you have added pressure.

Take the pressure off yourself to hurry with this. Put it away for a few days and come back to it again. You don't need to rush it. You do need to tell a really good story, so take whatever time you need to do that.

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
What did the editor say about your writing?

If your writing is good, then your ideas are bad.

But if your ideas are good, then your writing is bad.

I'm confused as to where this conclusion comes from. The OP said the editor said to send some more of his writing. It sounds like the feedback was from another sources rather than an editor.

Sorry to break it to you, but I do think you're expecting too much.

But that's my opinion. Alright? Just, don't fall into depression from that.

I disagree.

Can you step us through what transpired and maybe we can point you at something you haven't seen?

I don't understand this response.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Join the ever-growing club, Susan.

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
If an editor asks you to send other work, that means he or she likes your writing; it was just that that particular story that didn't engage them. So congratulations! This is great.

As for being stuck--that happens in the normal course of writing anyway, doesn't it? And now you have added pressure.

Take the pressure off yourself to hurry with this. Put it away for a few days and come back to it again. You don't need to rush it. You do need to tell a really good story, so take whatever time you need to do that.

I agree. I could have written it myself.

Last edited:

Architectus

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what your expectations of your self are, so I cannot answer.

LadyDae

New AW user. Veteran Writer 8+
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hollydae.com
Calm down, take a deep breath, play video games, walk around the block... What ever it takes for you to chill out. Sometimes when we expect too much of ourselves and work too hard, we stunt our progress. Happens to me all the time.

My solution? Walk away and have a nice big cup of coffee.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
When an editor asks for something else, that's always a good thing. A good strategy I've used for short stories is to make sure I have a good 3-4 stories finished (as in completely done). I'll send one out. When I get emails back saying, "the one you sent wasn't a fit, but we'd love to see more," I send one immediately. Immediately.

Your name is fresh in their mind and while one story wasn't a fit for the edition/volume, they liked your style, voice and craft enough to want to see something else.

Take a break if you are that close to finishing. Clean your writerly palate. Come back to it. :) You can doooo iiiit!

Status
Not open for further replies.