Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm kinda hoping for Book 2 (which takes place mostly in the convent) that I can talk MI into putting my "clueless Lily takes the veil" pic as an inset in the corner of my regular author pic. :)

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Just a plea to all you authors out there who will be on your way to get promotional photographs: If the photographer asks you to rest your head on your hand, please, for the love of god, don't do it. It makes me cringe every time I see a photo like that at the back of a book or on a website.

Me too and that's exactly what I got on the back of my book cover. Double ugh. However, my website photo is a candid shot taken by my daughter that I like much better. No more professional photographers for me.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I would like to opt for crossed arms and a "Why yes, I am plotting to take over the world, but I'm going to be awfully cute doing it" smile.

It's entirely possible that this looks better in my head than it would in real life. :tongue

I was reminded of the second panel of this comic: How to Fake a Smile

(Which tends to be how I end up smiling, when I don't have the "you puny mortals are beneath me" look).

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
LOL this thread is so full of awesome.

As long as it's not on a murky, blue and grey swirly foggy type background like wot they used back in primary and high school photographs, I think I'll be happy.

Hell, if anyone was interested enough to see my photo, then I'd be happy.

As a writer of romance, I just hope I don't have to wear a matching coloured suit with HUUUUGE shoulder pads,(red, pink or yellow usually), pearls, and massive hair. Because that seems popular.

Barbara Cartland would know, I guess!

Elle

Merely drifting
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather not get a photo taken professionally. There's no one who could understand what represents you better than a friend or family member.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
I'd rather not get a photo taken professionally. There's no one who could understand what represents you better than a friend or family member.

Very good point, Elle.

A great professional photographer will talk with you and find out what you're comfortable doing, but these types of sessions are a much different price. Some are masters at building relationships very quickly, with the goal of making clients feel like they're a friend so they'll relax and get into the shoot.

Your avatar pic is awesome and beautifully lit, btw.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My coworker just happens to run a wedding photo biz on the side. I got the best of both worlds: A pro taking the pix, and someone who has met me more than once. :)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

That's fine for your website, but unless you have a friend or family member who's a highly skilled and knowledgable amateur photographer, it's not very likely that the resulting photos will be of adequate quality (not so much composition as other technical photographic elements) for a jacket cover.

Having grown up with a professional photographer, I can take well composed photos, but nothing I take would ever be good enough for a professional level print job. There's a lot more to professional photography than composing the shot.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
There's a lot more to professional photography than composing the shot.

Yes, but it's less and less, Terie. You used to need a flash meter and Polaroid back (an attachment to the back of your expensive medium format camera body that provided instant snapshots) to see where you stood. Photogs used to bracket exposure and worry about enough ambient light to reduce any red eye.

I can only see the small pic of Elle, but it's absolutely brilliant, perhaps by accident. Her highlighted left eye tells her story and the corner of her mouth gives an impression of her mood. An amateur can fill a 4 gig card with hundreds of pics and come up with something terrific.

Point and shoot digital cameras have put a lot of portrait and wedding photogs out of business.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Yes, but it's less and less, Terie. You used to need a flash meter and Polaroid back (an attachment to the back of your expensive medium format camera body that provided instant snapshots) to see where you stood. Photogs used to bracket exposure and worry about enough ambient light to reduce any red eye.

I can only see the small pic of Elle, but it's absolutely brilliant, perhaps by accident. Her highlighted left eye tells her story and the corner of her mouth gives an impression of her mood. An amateur can fill a 4 gig card with hundreds of pics and come up with something terrific.

Point and shoot digital cameras have put a lot of portrait and wedding photogs out of business.

Sorry, but you're still talking about composing the shot. I'm talking about everything else that makes a photo able (or not) to be used on a professional level. A point-and-shoot photo might look nice sitting in your wedding photo album, but if put through the processes required to look sharp on a book jacket, it might well end up looking like crap.

That's why publishers ask for professional quality photos. Not just something that's well composed, but something that meets the technical standards required for the full printing process.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, I beat the cliche test. My latest "author" photo shows me gazing with rapt interest at a ceramic representation of Great Cthulhu. I do have a bookcase in the background, though, which might count as a sixth cliche, or is that the agent/editor cliche?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, it works for Horation Caine. As long as he's taking off/putting on his sunglasses. Maybe you should have sunglasses on for the photo.

If an author photo is crucial to selling a book, I'm utterly doomed. Imagine Quasimodo with a touch of Cthulhu . . .

I just think Lassie everytime...

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
(Which tends to be how I end up smiling, when I don't have the "you puny mortals are beneath me" look).
Yes! That's the look I'm talking about. One of them is a best selling author and it takes up the entire back cover. Scarey. (I really doubt you look like that :) )

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yay, I beat the cliche test. My latest "author" photo shows me gazing with rapt interest at a ceramic representation of Great Cthulhu. I do have a bookcase in the background, though, which might count as a sixth cliche, or is that the agent/editor cliche?

:Hail:

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
That's why publishers ask for professional quality photos. Not just something that's well composed, but something that meets the technical standards required for the full printing process.

Yes, but my professional DSLR's (Canon EOS-1D) were over $2000 each in 2001 and just 4MP...GE makes a 12MP point and shoot now for $75. It's crazy, Terie, but commercial portrait photography (like you'd see on every Main St.) has quietly been made nearly obsolete by incredible technology. My daughter had her first copy of Photoshop when she was six. She could easily do more "darkroom" tricks than the world's most talented old school developer/printer.

Of course authors should follow the instructions of their publisher. I'm just saying the reasons to do so are becoming less and less.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Can I used a ghostphoto, you know, like people use ghostwriters? Add me to the sagging jowls group, but throw in sagging skin around the eyes and a nose that would qualify me as Mrs. Claus.

I still use a photo that was taken six years ago at a wedding before the twins (I wouldn't trade 'em for the world though!) destroyed my body, aged me and left me with and extra 20 pounds. My singletons were much kinder to my physical self.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Another cliche is "Anti-Smile"--where the author looks painfully serious, like they just received a biopsy report. I couldn't help but smile in most of my photos, I was just happy I sold a book.

Elle

Merely drifting
Registered
Reaction score
Very good point, Elle.

A great professional photographer will talk with you and find out what you're comfortable doing, but these types of sessions are a much different price. Some are masters at building relationships very quickly, with the goal of making clients feel like they're a friend so they'll relax and get into the shoot.

Your avatar pic is awesome and beautifully lit, btw.

Yeah, those kinds of photographers help, although I can't see myself being fully comfortable around any stranger.

Thanks. I spontaneously took it next to a window in a dark room. :p

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
My little girl saw an author photo on the back cover of a book (very well known author by the way). She growled at it and said "That's a monster Mommy." I cracked up. This lady was sooo made up, hair make-up, suit, pearls, the works. She looked crazy! I cracked up.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Yes! That's the look I'm talking about. One of them is a best selling author and it takes up the entire back cover. Scarey. (I really doubt you look like that :) )

Oh, I have pictures where I do. I don't put those up anywhere. :p

(And I think a lot of people'd look scary filling the whole back cover. I'd rather be inside the book somewhere.)

Status
Not open for further replies.