I think perhaps I am a mental patient. Amateur analysis welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Does anyone else have quirks like this? I have been experiencing this phenomenon for several months now. When I sit down to write (and this only applies to new stuff, not revisions) I get a few sentences in and I'm suddenly overwhelmed with sleepiness. This isn't fatigue or tiredness, just so sleeeeepy - and yes, I think there's a distinction.

I got enough sleep and I've had my coffee and I know it's psychosomatic, because if I got up to do something else, it would go away. What's wrong with me and better yet, what do I do about it??!!

Avalon

Linda J. Daly
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I had that for two years! I kept falling asleep or being overwhelmed by sleepiness!

It eventually just passed.

At some point in there, I set a word count goal per day. Then it didn't matter if I got the word count in three-sentence chunks or one blazing hour. At some point or other, I realized I just wasn't falling asleep anymore.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
It could be a subconscious reaction from previous efforts to force yourself to produce when the muse is not willing. I have, on occasion, experienced something similar to this, but not as strongly as you seem to be encountering.

Try this: away from your work station, either write the first few paragraphs of the new work or jot down some notes that would apply, and then sit down to transcribe them at your keyboard.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of couse there's a prosthesis for ambition--but all the straps and buckles ruin your hair style and make it hard to see, as well.

I agree that a change in writing environment might be in order. Sleep, and sleepy feelings, are signs of a mind that would like to be elsewhere, sometimes. If your mind needs to be writing that book, maybe putting your body someplace different will allow it.

Maryn, hoping it helps

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stress will produce that sudden "no gas in the tank" feeling. It's an old malady. Seen it, had it, got the t-shirt. Not suggesting that's your issue, Maryn. Just tossing in mis dos centavos.

facetheartist

In my day job when I'm not writing I treat sleep disorders. Many believe that they get enough sleep when in fact most of us are sleep deprived. I'm not discounting the psychological deterrent to writing you mention....but don't underestimate sleep debt. Many of us don't need more coffee but more sleep. If napping isn’t an option but cranking out the words is, try: fresh air, stimulating music, new chair (or work space).

After all sleep hygiene needs have been addressed another tack may be do journal your fears about the blank page. I’m new to this site (signed up today) and I’m guessing writer’s block has it’s own thread here somewhere.

Sleep is a function of two forces….decreased wakefulness and increased sleepiness. The juices that keep you alert during the day (serotonin) are perhaps being overtaken by the brain chemicals that make us groggy (melatonin). Bright lights stimulate serotonin so an indoor sunlight may get you so jazzed you’ll crank out tons of great prose.

After reading about your quandary I now may suggest to my insomniac patients to take up writing as a sleep inducer!

Good luck!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Dogs, when nervous or anxious start yawning. I believe it's called "displacement" perhaps you are taking it one step further? I'm only sort of kidding - but perhaps you get anxious about writing, and your body's way of dealing with it is to just shut down?

Another thought is that we naturally have highs and lows of alertness thru out the day. I am programmed to have a nap at around 1 pm. It doesn't matter where I am, I am so tired I can hardly move at that time. However if I force myself, I can move beyond it and feel fine about 1/2 an hour later. Perhaps you are trying to work during your daily "low" time. Maybe if you start sooner/later you can avoid it.

I hope you can figure it out - it must be so disheartening.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Hmmmm.... the sum of this equation has me labelled a lazy, b!tch.

Just kidding. Actually the suggestions are good and the explanations ring true. Either way, I've written a thousand words today. I just wish I felt more alert.

Thanks for the support!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Perks, you are clearly mad. The only solution is to send me a hundred pounds for an over-the-phone therapy session, consisting of me telling you how many more sessions you will need.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
SP, the giggles you give are worth at least that much. Do you accept paypal? And what is a hundred pounds in real money anyway?

Reaction score
A hundred pounds IS real money! How dare you! Don't even try to pass those fancy-schmancy American dollar monopoly money notes on me, pal!

And no paypal, but $100 worth of chocolate is A-okay. First class post, thanks.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And why do I think that you'd only end up resenting me for $100 in chocolates, as they'd undoubtedly convert quite easily to pounds of a different sort?

Reaction score
Oh, and I don't want American chocolate, either. That's rubbish. It's Belgian or nowt, and you'll just have to stay a mental case.

What's that? The phone? Oh, it's the pot. He says I'm a kettle, and he's calling me black.

Status
Not open for further replies.