The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While other authors don't have a problem with writing that, it makes me cringe.

I do! Most of my MC's are mid-twenties, which, as some local people point out, is my age bracket. So I ensure that any main male character does not share any physical attributes with me.

Currently standing at 60,800 words of the 54,000 I started with. I'm going to try to do a little more, although not exactly 6,000 more. We'll see. It's already 5:09 PM EST.

[/QUOTE]

Great work Christina.

Last edited:

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Same here, I get pains in my hand from writing too fast, then my writing turns into scribbles and more scribbles.
Thats exactly it! I get cramps and as I mentioned in an earlier post I get RSI in my right hand quite bad, inconvently it's my dominant hand.

Only discovered this thread, If it's okay with everyone I might join in, I need something to keep the pressure on me.

My aim is to finish the first draft of my WIP by 11th march. I abandoned it the last few months due to self-publishing my first novel, and then I had a crazy time over xmas at work. So, starting from last monday 7th Jan, I want to write 7,700 words a week to reach 100,000. (If the story can naturally handle that length)

So far this week, I've 7,000 words written...nearly there.

Welcome aboard!

I saw the thread of your process of promoting your book nad the sales you've made. It is incredible. I went and bought it myself. I just started, but I'm loving it :)

Good luck with your goals.

----

Tonights plan - Get these Brothers and Amaya, can't forget her, out on the road. It's exciting, because even I dont know whats going to happen once they're out there.

KawaiiTimes

Sentient Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KawaiiTimes.wordpress.com
Woke up this morning bright and early to do some more editing. Have gotten somewhat side-tracked with the introduction (I have posted the first three sentences on another thread and discovered that it needed more work than I thought initially). Anyway, made it through some more and added some words along the way.

WIP: Giraffe
Goal: 15,000 words & submitted by Feb. 28th
Current Word Count: 12,211
Daily Goal: Edit and add 60 words/day

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday, all. :)

Not a very productive writing day for me. 200 words, bleh.

But, I did meet a new friend for coffee. She's a writer, and we talked about the business. Trying to figure out how that factors into my word count...

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Writer friends rock, ap123!

My whole plot changed while I was driving to the supermarket. I'm an outliner, but since I've been writing, a sub-plot has begun to stick out as much more interesting than the main plot I had planned. Bit scary, need to hash out some details before I can write today.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1,400 words today, so I have exceeded my target of 7,700 words per week, (Wrote 8,400 this week) with two days to spare.

Delighted!

gell214

Registered
Reaction score

My whole plot changed while I was driving to the supermarket. I'm an outliner, but since I've been writing, a sub-plot has begun to stick out as much more interesting than the main plot I had planned. Bit scary, need to hash out some details before I can write today.

Whew, good luck with that :).

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score

Awesome! Some of what I think is my best work has come from those flashes of ...oh! if I go this way...

Looks like everyone had a productive day, in word count or otherwise :)

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The last 3000 words of the day, aka Chapter 24, was the hardest to write because i kept getting distracted, but i am done for today and going back to bed. :)

72.000 / 180,000 as of 1-12-2013

Last edited:

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome Christina. Your such a power house. About 4 more hours until I can get some writing done, I think I'm going to need lots of Iced coffee to get me through; I'm shattered.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Only another 355 tonight. But got my characters to a good place. They're neither here nor there. Now they have to tell me what happens next because I have zero idea.

Okay, I was claning the house at 9.30pm, as you do. trying to be a domestic Godess, when Mercy (one of the brothers in my piece), started whispering to me. I gave up on cleaning and jumped back on the computer. Word count for tonight to be confirmed :) I love having peoploe living in my head, the excitment never stops.

Last edited:

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, this is what I need. Tried the NaNo thingy once and, although I wrote a big pile of crap, working to target as part of a group was hugely galvanising. The target just has to be less than 50,000 a month ...

Do you also get your bum kicked if you slack off? ;)

3) You must have a daily, weekly, or monthly goal that is absolutely doable for you, in your current situation, right now. It doesn't matter how small it is. That self-imposed goal should be your absolute minimum number of words for the time period specified.

4) You must post your working title, word count, goal, and updates here so that you can be cheered on.

Current title MoPE. Word count 32,221, to be precise. Aiming at 80,000 total.

Monthly goal ... well, I'm writing on average 5,370 words per month. Doesn't sound too good, but I can only really write at weekends, plus I polish like a lunatic before moving onto the next scene. The polishing might seem unwise on a first draft, but I've outlined like a maniac and am not anticipating major rewrites. I find it hard to remain cheerful and confident if I move onto the next scene when the preceding scene stinks.

Originally I was aiming to be finished by December, but now I'm going to aim at 5,000 words a month.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Current title MoPE. Word count 32,221, to be precise. Aiming at 80,000 total.

Monthly goal ... well, I'm writing on average 5,370 words per month. Doesn't sound too good, but I can only really write at weekends, plus I polish like a lunatic before moving onto the next scene. The polishing might seem unwise on a first draft, but I've outlined like a maniac and am not anticipating major rewrites. I find it hard to remain cheerful and confident if I move onto the next scene when the preceding scene stinks.

Originally I was aiming to be finished by December, but now I'm going to aim at 5,000 words a month.

Kittens, this is what I really like about this thread. There seems to be (I'm new to it also) a mutual respect and understanding that everyone writes at a different pace, and has different lives and responsibilities that factor into just how much writing gets done. It's about keeping it going, even if a great day for one writer might be a light one for another.

I'm in awe of Christina's rate of production! It isn't ever going to be mine, though, and that's ok :)

French Maiden I love those moments, and I agree, it's exciting.

*400 words for me this morning, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get back to it and write more before the day is done.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Kittens, this is what I really like about this thread. There seems to be (I'm new to it also) a mutual respect and understanding that everyone writes at a different pace, and has different lives and responsibilities that factor into just how much writing gets done. It's about keeping it going, even if a great day for one writer might be a light one for another.

I'm in awe of Christina's rate of production! It isn't ever going to be mine, though, and that's ok :)

French Maiden I love those moments, and I agree, it's exciting.

*400 words for me this morning, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get back to it and write more before the day is done.

Kittens - Welcome and hope we can keep you ontrack and inspired.

As ap123 has just confirmed it is very much a mutual respect, we all appreciate that we go at different paces. I finds that simply posting my word count each night and seeing other people's word counts increasing is enough to keep me going. I want to do it for not only myself, but to prove to everyone else I can do it too.

---

Total word count tonight 700 words.

I'm happier with that. Tomorrow night I'm child free so hopefully will be more productive.

AKyber36

Registered
Reaction score
Man, it's good to be back! :D I've been away so long that it feels like an eternity, haha.

Well, I've put the novel on hiatus until I get my mojo back on it. However, I have started writing a short story. Currently untitled until I figure it out, but the word count is at 2,102 words.

Just glad to be writing again! :)

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since my cat-astrophe, I am now back up to 11,357 words.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad the incident it didnt discourage you and you're making good progress to get back to where you were.

Good for you.

It took me a while to get my mind right. But then she was sitting on my tower just grinning, saying "Yeah, I beat you," and I cannot have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.