The WIP graveyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one to ever abandon a WIP. And as I push the old behind and look ahead to the new, it has occured to me that we need a place to retire our old WIP's... or, at least a place to pay tribute to them as we put them to rest.

My little WIP came to life a little too slow for the crowd she would be running with. It seems that crowd has already come and gone. I tried to call her humorous women's fiction, but the reality is... she's straight up chick-lit- a genre that has taken a beating over the past couple years.

Last night, I saw that Red Dress Ink, one of the larger chick-lit publishers is no longer accepting submissions (at all, the way it read). And that told me all I need to know.

So, here's my tribute to my little WIP...

She began as a twinkle in my eye, a selfish daydream that I let dance through the paths of my mind back in mid 2001.
She remained a twinkle and a daydream until I put her to paper and brought her to life in 2005.
For the longest time, she grew in bursts and spurts, not quite enough growth here, too much growth there, but still… she grew. And changed.
Boy, did she change. At times I could barely recognize her; her description completely altered by a few new words.
And then, there were the perilous times, those times when she presented herself completely ripped into bits and pieces. I had no idea how I’d ever put her back together again. But I did. Again and Again.
She was frustrating most of the time. A great teacher all of the time. And sadly, her demise has come because she was just a touch late for her time.
I’ll miss her, but I won’t forget the lessons she taught me. It’s because of her that I get to forge ahead and have a much more clear idea of where I’m going.
R.I.P. little girl.

Mods, I chose the Roundtable as it seemed most appropriate, but feel free to move where you feel best.
I hope others join me in paying tribute to those WIP's that can no longer flourish.

Last edited:

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
May she rest in peace.

I have a bunch of colorful computer disks stashed away in a corner below this desk, that's the final resting place for my movie scripts. I moved on to writing novels, but hope to spare them from a similar fate.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've got a few stories that either died a death or are just resting. I haven't decided which.

Maybe it's better to say they're asleep.

In a grave. :D

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I hope I never have to visit this graveyard. First WIP in progress.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Mine aren't dead yet, they're just in a vegetative state. Though with the genre I write, even if one of my WIPs happened to die it would simply rise from the grave at a later date.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've been writing for awhile, I never abandon my WIPs any more. I finish everything and then I abandon it.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
No, no, no - don't inter it into oblivion.

Several years ago I put aside a WIP that wasn't going anywhere. Last winter I ressurected and finished it (because I loved it) and it got me an agent.

May be worth looking at this, Krystal.

Little Black Dress

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Mine don't even get buried. They just fester in a field somewhere in their ghastly abandoned states while the fetid stench of death rises from them.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
My lousier WIPs never die. They just go into comas. You know what they say about comas. Maybe they'll wake up ten years from now, perfectly fine. Though they'll need some physical therapy before they can start walking around on their own. :eek:

Hey, you never know. I'm not giving up on them yet. *shrug*

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my early WIPs are still with me, though they're in retirement. I couldn't bear to bury them because they were so special to me in my early years.

But for those that truly have died, like my PA book, I finally got rid of them entirely. Those manuscripts are but a memory now, their resting place far away from my ability to exhume them.

I spent 17 years working on one of those books, and then I had it published through PA, several years after completing it. When it died the horrible death it suffered, I sadly refused to let it go and move on. I tried to resurrect it on several occasions, but it was not to be. Now, I truly have let it go, and may it forever rest in complete peace.

Wyverinia Chronicle: Born 1986 -- Died 2004 -- Laid to Rest 2008

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, you are putting it six feet down--not because it's a crummy story, or you think the writing is inferior, but because you think an entire genre is dead? There will always be room for good stories about women and "for" women. And, are you sure you can predict what will or won't sell two or three years from now? Unless you have other reasons, I'd venture that you could be burying a story that may still have a pulse.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP went into the Intensive Care Unit today. Thanks to support from AW, I managed to save him.

The grave is still waiting.......

MsK

Registered
Reaction score

My current WIP went into the Intensive Care Unit today. Thanks to support from AW, I managed to save him.

The grave is still waiting.......

I saw that as I was cruising through the New Posts this morning and made a mental note to remind you of the post you made in the WIP graveyard earlier in the week.
Phew... glad you were able to get the support you needed.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
So, you are putting it six feet down--not because it's a crummy story, or you think the writing is inferior, but because you think an entire genre is dead? There will always be room for good stories about women and "for" women. And, are you sure you can predict what will or won't sell two or three years from now? Unless you have other reasons, I'd venture that you could be burying a story that may still have a pulse.

Thanks for that insight and advice.
I'd say it's a combination of the topic only being suitable for a genre that seems to be pretty close to dead and inferior writing. I've worked to clean up the writing and with more work, it could be salvaged. The story-IMO- is great.
Perhaps I will take another look at it some time in the future. But for now, I'm putting my time and efforts into a more timeless piece of work.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
My, my, thanks for the reminder. For some reason, I totally lost all interest in writing yesterday. I posted in the rejection forum where I got some backup. I almost erased my entire WIP. (I know, I'm insane).

Last week, I wouldn't have dreamed of contributing to this thread again. Today, I did.

AW's my saviour!!!!!!! I must mention this site in the acknowledgements when I get published. That's allowed, right?

Mikey B

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.screamindemon.com

In the same place.

Oh, wait, there's the two that died in college, but those are being flipped into scripts so, I guess they're not dead after all (Frankenstein-y!).

I'm sure I'll have plenty of dead WIPs to look back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.