Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
It's only 86 here in NYC but it always feels so much hotter. Damn all those tall buildings!

Anyone ever sneak writing time at work? I was out of the office for a full week and my inbox exploded. I'm finding it hard to concentrate because I'm in the midst of fleshing out a plot. I keep getting glimpses of insight as I'm in the middle of what I'm actually supposed to be doing (uh, you know, work). The afternoon is going to be torture.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
As an old guy writing YA, I figure this is as good a place to introduce myself as any! Been lurking and enjoying the daily banter on this thread for a while. Anyway... Howdy!

Welcome, Cory! :welcome:

Anyone ever sneak writing time at work?

:eek: Shh! :Ssh:

Yes - don't tell the boss. The only work I had to do yesterday was send a parcel out Recorded Delivery, so I snuck some writing in afterwards. Would've been better if my co-worker's radio station didn't have lots of talking (although I found the discussion about 50 Shades quite hilarious). And I figured the radio show was probably going for a 'colour' theme the other day with their 'White cliffs of Dover' and 'Black or White', but, as they didn't play 'Yellow Submarine', I can't say for certain if that was their intention. ;)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out who the note to Ethan is "from" (Will writes it to lure him to his near-death), but it's HARD.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Cory

I wish I could write at work, but those times that I get a chance are pretty limited. I used to do field work, and the drives were good for writing, but our fieldwork is very specific these days and I'm not trained for it.

So, guess who has A/C! It's me! I'm sitting on my writing couch and not baking, so yay! Now it's time to write.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
We turned the AC on today, too. It's warmer today! I'm actually only wearing capris instead of my jeans.

Any of you guys soccer/football fans? Shocker one today.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii, I see you talking about being cold and I'm jealous. It's been like 105 for the past couple days here and humid as all get out! I've given up on throwing the ball with my dog and just let him chase the water hose to cool off and exercise at the same time. Oppressive is the word I would use to describe the heat, and it's just going to get worse through July and August.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Welcome, Cory!

I have to laugh at you guys calling me "Dot" - I haven't been called that since high school. People tend to call me Dory nowadays. ;)

Did some revising today, but will have no chance tomorrow since I have to attend my work's summer party. HAVE to. As in, it's frowned upon if we don't show up. :(

Oh, and I will have a very special guest on my blog tomorrow. Someone who frequents this thread. ^_^

I'll post the link when it's up. :D

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii, I see you talking about being cold and I'm jealous. It's been like 105 for the past couple days here and humid as all get out! I've given up on throwing the ball with my dog and just let him chase the water hose to cool off and exercise at the same time. Oppressive is the word I would use to describe the heat, and it's just going to get worse through July and August.

To be fair, I only think it's cold. Kuwait was averaging 122 F when I left. So to have it be between 85-90 here is ridiculous to me. I've been doing a lot of whining about it.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Right, I shall start writing again tomorrow.

During breaks while watching TV and my 30 minute sessions while I'm at my desk.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com

I'm so happy that my dog seems happy to laze around inside, lol!

I think I'm going to post my first entry to the new blog tomorrow :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
94 today in NYC.

Also :hi: everyone!!

Today I:
read and finished EV3 & Ad@m by Katherine Applegate and Michael Grant (ARC provided by publisher).
read and loved, loved, loved SOM3TH!NG L!K3 N0RMAL by Tr!$h D0ll3r :D
went to the movies and saw the new Wes Anderson. :cool: Also, adored it!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Hey guys! Waterpark was great, except the water actually felt cold most of the day. And Claudie fell twice and had to get band aids...twice. And there's nothing like being around a bunch of people who look awesome in bikinis to make you feel like crap. The lifeguard guys were pretty beautiful, though, lol!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
We did! Our county rec system actually has 3 or 4 of them, and I bought my daughter a year rec system pass that includes admission to them all, so we will probably be going several times this summer (still have to pay my own $12 admission each time, though :p) the pass also gets her into the indoor bounce house close to our end of town, which is why we got it in the first place, but he waterparks are a nice bonus :)

ETA: taken with my phone, which was in a ziplock Baggie at the time, hence the weird blurriness. The yellow slide is a body slide, the blue you go on with one or two person innertubes, then there's the big kiddie play structure, and behind that a lazy river and the flowrider surfing thing. This is definitely the biggest of the county waterparks. Too bad it's the furthest from my house!

2012-06-28112846.jpg

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
JB, that is awesome that they have something like that. And your dd is freaking adorable!!!!!!

I'm burnt. Too tired to read/watch tv/write. So, I'll just surf the net and then pass out. My eyes literally burn and hurt from exhaustion (<--okay, it took me 6 times to spell that friggin' word! Gah. I am sooooo tired).

Have a great night all. See you on the flip side. :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Done....again.

I need to let this manuscript marinate. Now I must decide what to do in the meantime.

I got two people willing to read it, but I don't know if it is ready yet.

Love the waterpark picture, JB. Your daughter looks so sweet in her water wings. We just went to Wisconsin Dells, which is the waterpark capital of the world or something. I hate the wave pools, but my kids love them, in spite of their tales of horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.