Elder Scrolls V

Status
Not open for further replies.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

I know every little about computers. How would someone go about putting a game on a SSD?

When you install the game, select your SSD drive as the installation target.

If you installed through Steam, this is not an option, unfortunately.

Skyrim is about 5.5 GB, according to the Intertron. That's not bad for an SSD install at all (since most SSDs are tiny, unless you're crazy rich).

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I know every little about computers. How would someone go about putting a game on a SSD?

First, get an SSD - a flash hard drive, basically. Install it in your computer and then just use it as a normal drive. I have Steam set up to save my games onto that drive, and it seems to speed things up a lot. (Though I'm told I'd actually be better off with Windows installed on the SSD instead - any advice anyone?)

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
When you install the game, select your SSD drive as the installation target.

If you installed through Steam, this is not an option, unfortunately.

Skyrim is about 5.5 GB, according to the Intertron. That's not bad for an SSD install at all (since most SSDs are tiny, unless you're crazy rich).

You can actually install Steam on an SSD, it just doesn't like being split over two drives. Though there is a method to do that which I can dig out if you're interested. The downside is my 64GB SSD can't hold more than ten or fifteen of my games at any one time, so I do a lot of backing up and reinstalling.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a victim of imprecise language. You hit it on the head. You can install Steam on any drive, of course. It just hits the limitation you mention on an SSD.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed my console game taking longer and longer to load. Level 42 now, and it's a good minute if I'm stepping outdoors.

You know, Dragon Age Origins starts doing the same thing at about 80% completion. Just thought of that. It probably has to load all the different variables for content you've progressed through. Though why DAO would care what dialog options I picked in Lothering when I'm about to conclude the Landsmeet in Denerim is beyond me. In Skyrim it makes some sense, since I could be going back to a de-populated Whiterun after a drunking fireball fest.

Also, has anyone run into stuck NPCs? In Whiterun the produce girl is standing about fifteen feet in front of her shop. She doesn't count as being 'at her store' so I can't buy/sell from her. Had a similar issue with the trader in the open-air stalls in Windhelm, but that seems to have corrected itself.

Katze_E

The Imperial
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things I love the most on Skyrim is killing giants. It's weird, but it gives me a thrill. But I pity the wolly mamooths. And I wonder, what mamooth cheese would taste like? LOL

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I killed a cave bear last night and for some reason instead of collapsing and lying still it started to moonwalk.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I got attacked by a reverse flying dragon.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
From my own experience and from what others are saying I am regretting buying this on the PS3. The interface and controls are fine but it's still buggy, the load times are pretty large and getting longer and no console commands to get you out of glitches. Unfortunately my pc probably wouldn't cope with it.
The glitches aren't that surprising given the complexity and nature of the world but when you lose out on a major quest line like Forbidden Legends because of a glitch it is rather annoying.
A dragon screech suddenly sounding above me still gives me chills though!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Dragons are the cliff racers of Skyrim.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I love all the little tucked away locations in this game. Like I just found Bard's Leap. Not only did I get to take the leap (and earn a small reward), but I got to see the birth (resurrection?) of a Briar-Heart Forsworn, I got to fight an Elder Dragon, and (just a few yards from said dragon's skeleton) I ran into two creepy kids who tried to sell me dwarven pieces of machinery.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
From my own experience and from what others are saying I am regretting buying this on the PS3. The interface and controls are fine but it's still buggy, the load times are pretty large and getting longer and no console commands to get you out of glitches. Unfortunately my pc probably wouldn't cope with it.
The glitches aren't that surprising given the complexity and nature of the world but when you lose out on a major quest line like Forbidden Legends because of a glitch it is rather annoying.
A dragon screech suddenly sounding above me still gives me chills though!

Yeah. I considered buying the PS3 version because I have a persistent BSOD problem with some graphically-intensive PC games, but am so glad I didn't now. Mod support and console swung it for me, as someone who remembers how broken Oblivion was before the community fixed it.

On the other hand, on consoles the UI might actually make sense...

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
Most hilarious issue I have encountered is Lucius Lechance, multiplying... outside of Whiterun. Started with two... then I noticed there were 4 of him.

Now there is a crowd of about 8 Lucius Lechance's outside the Whiterun stables. One of them is halfway stuck in the ground.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Most hilarious issue I have encountered is Lucius Lechance, multiplying... outside of Whiterun. Started with two... then I noticed there were 4 of him.

Now there is a crowd of about 8 Lucius Lechance's outside the Whiterun stables. One of them is halfway stuck in the ground.
Once again I get to say: "Oh, good, it's not just me." (The half Lucien is very disturbing. I hate even walking by him.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Thank Goodness for the Elder Scrolls Wiki...My play style of just exploring got me into a bucketload of trouble when I found Septimus and started his Mora Quest long before the main questline would have sent me there. I was actually collecting the elven blood samples when I finally was told to go to the college and ask about the elder scroll and at that time the college was closed due to Ancano's sphere. So I finished the college up and still the orc didn't give me the dialogue option for the elder scroll. I was majorly worried I'd broken the main Quest line, but apparently this bug had already been discovered and the wiki explained a work around. I would have been so devastated after nearly 200 hours to be unable to finish!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I love you, Steam. 54 AUD when boxed copies near me are selling for 89.

I had a major problem with migraine-inducing sky flicker. Luckily NVIDIA has released new drivers just for this game.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Over two hundred hours in, the Main Quest 2/3 done and the Civil War about half done (and my MC is level 57), but I just can't take it anymore. The broken quests and the (very regular now) freezing and having to reboot the system and check my harddrive for errors twice a day...Man, the lag is like the least of the problems with this game on PS3. I think I am gonna have to get the PC version and start over. Maybe sometime around July.

Status
Not open for further replies.