• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Kaye & Mills

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Kaye & Mills? They're a law firm that does entertainment law.

Site: http://www.kayemills.com/

PM: http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jessicak/

BTW, hi, I'm new:^)

I queried them and Jessica Kaye took a partial, then said that my work isn't ready for publication, that it would benefit from a professional editor, and that she could recommend one (though unsure of the rates). She was very nice ... so much that she offered to look at my partial again to show me what kind of editing help I need (after I thanked her for her opinion ... kinda doing/learning all this by myself ... and you guys).

Any other experience?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who recommends an editor is treading on shaky ground, but she has a $ on P&E so she's probably kosher.

Just to be on the safe side I wouldn't take her recommendation on an editor though, find one through here or elsewhere.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
She may mean well, but someone acting as an agent recommending an editor isn't kosher. Often the only reason it's done is because someone's getting a kickback per recommendation. They sound more like someone you would go to if you approached a publisher on your own and wanted to make sure the contract was okay. I don't know how well they would be able to actually sell a book to publishers, though it's not unheard of. I think there are some agents who are lawyers, but someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
From what I can tell, it's a law firm that handles entertainment. I don't think they go as far as calling themselves agents.

If that's the case, is there the wrong place to put this thread?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's still good info. There's nothing wrong with them at all, they're probably really good lawyers and having an IP lawyer (or at least knowing the name of one should you need one) could be good for an author. They just wouldn't be who I'd go to to try and sell a book is all. I don't think Ms. Kaye meant it in any other way except to try and be helpful.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What P&E says is "$ Believed to be a literary agency. Further information unavailable." So that isn't really an endorsement.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Going by her PM page, only one sale since '09 (to a solid pub, but one which doesn't require an agent).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Recent sales to Polis and Arcade.