E-Publishers – Registered?

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if most 'respectable' e-publishers are registered businesses in their respective states, or nationally, or at all? Since writers are technically self-employed, and publishers also would be self-employed (I'm assuming) and since these companies obviously aren't public (as in stocks), is it illegal for them NOT to be registered? Maybe a dumb question, but I honestly have no idea.

Thanks,

- CW

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Well, sure they are--they have to file taxes and such...

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Well, I could see why it would be necessary for copyright reasons, etc. but I thought taxes were the sole responsibility of each individual involved (since they're all technically self-employed).

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the editors themselves may be considered freelancers and thus, must file their own taxes. But e-publishers make money and have to declare that as income for the business.

Even "non-respectable" e-publishers must be registered as businesses, just to let you know, as they all must square up their income with the IRS.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, not all e-publishers have employees who are considered self-employed. Ellora's Cave has full-time editing staff, and I believe they get paid a salary (don't quote me on that).

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
A single proprietor business needs a DBA form, at that point revenues COULD be declared on his personal tax forms, since money in the business is (in clear terms) money in his pocket. He'd have to fill out the appropriate 10-form, of course.

As far as professional organizations for e-publishing the best known is EPIC. Writers and publishers may become members of the organization, and it has certain standards of ethics contained.

Regards,
Scott

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm trying to start non-profit ebook publisher for youth writers, and I'm just trying to determine the best way to register it. I'm not sure it could be a registered 'non-profit' if I gave myself any standard income, but the less financial paperwork we'd have to deal with, the better.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm trying to start non-profit ebook publisher for youth writers, and I'm just trying to determine the best way to register it. I'm not sure it could be a registered 'non-profit' if I gave myself any standard income, but the less financial paperwork we'd have to deal with, the better.

You'd best consult a lawyer about formjation of a NFP business. However, yes, you can pay salaries. You can even turn a profit, but the profits must be rolled back into the business.You might be able to piggy-back off someone else's NFP registration, you can check that out too.Regards,Scott