Not open for further replies.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Hello Fellow writers,
I want to do humor writing, but am having difficulty finding any places that publish for much money, if they pay anything at all. I'd like to submit to Cracked, but their submission system only allows you to submit through a form, which is like sending it to a black hole. I've tried to bypass this by trying to find an actual person to email, but couldn't find any way to do so. As for MAD, which I've read since I as a kid, I couldn't find a human for this, either, even though I asked.
Any way to get to those places? And any well-paying humor markets?
Thanks!
Sarah

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
If you can find the July issue of The Writer, they had four humor markets listed, and a market closeup on MAD. The magazine's editor is Dave Croatto, and here's what he had to say: "MAD's audience runs in age from 8 to 80 (sorry 81-year-olds, you're out of luck!) We gladly accept unsolicited submissions, and writers can read our guidelines in the FAQ section of our Web site, www.madmag.com. The perfect submission is sent by someone who's read recent issues and knows MAD's voice, has a fresh approach and doesn't write down to our moronic readers."

The other magazines listed were Funny Times (www.funnytimes.com), Annals of Improbable Research (www.improbable.com), and The Wittenburg Door (www.thewittenburgdoor.com).

Hope this helps!

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
The New Yorker, The Atlantic Monthly, and Harper's all take humor. Sure, chances of getting accepted by them are slim -- though still better than your chances of winning the lottery -- but I figure it's worth the shot because what if one of them says "yes"?

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't know about Cracked, but I believe Mad uses staff writers almost exclusively. When I was a kid, they featured the same (excellent) group of 6-8 people for years and years.

Yeah, but MAD is seeking freelance work; they've had calls for submissions. You can check out their website.
Sarah

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website

B8SMAN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.riverandsoundreview.org
Call for Submissions

I posted a thread about this above, but I didn't see this thread, so forgive me if this info is a repeat. A River & Sound Review is accepting submissions for humor (paid gig). Please see the info below or visit our website, www.riverandsoundreview.org, for more info on how you can submit.

Thanks,
Jay Bates
Humor Editor
A River & Sound Review

Humor
We will consider submissions of humor manuscripts of indeterminate genre up to 2,000 words in length. There are no limitations on form or subject matter (other than the submission be funny). Place entire manuscript in the text of an email message. (Submissions with manuscripts sent as an attachment will not be opened or read.) Please include your name and email address in the message along with a precise word count and secondary contact information. In the Subject Line, place your first and last name and the words “Humor Submission.”

Send your humor submission to our editors at [email protected].

Vultural

Registered
Reaction score
. . . Please see the info below or visit our website, www.riverandsoundreview.org, for more info on how you can submit.

Thanks,
Jay Bates
Humor Editor
A River & Sound Review

Humor
We will consider submissions of humor manuscripts of indeterminate genre up to 2,000 words in length. There are no limitations on form or subject matter (other than the submission be funny). Place entire manuscript in the text of an email message. (Submissions with manuscripts sent as an attachment will not be opened or read.) Please include your name and email address in the message along with a precise word count and secondary contact information. In the Subject Line, place your first and last name and the words “Humor Submission.”

Send your humor submission to our editors at [email protected].

Update on their definition of humor. Note the end sentence.

Humor
We consider submissions of humor manuscripts of indeterminate genre up to 1,000 words in length. There are no limitations on form or subject matter (other than the submission be funny), but please know that what we qualify as "humor" is typically in the form of lampoons, rants, satires, and parodies. No humorous fiction please.

Status
Not open for further replies.