• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

A Simple Problem

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
You're on a space walk in a micro-gravity (let's say no gravity) environment. It's just you, your space suit, and, for some strange reason, a bicycle wheel.

You have no means of propulsion and no tether to a ship or anything else you can use for leverage. You appear to be stationary relative to the stars, which, for the purposes of this exercise, means you're not rotating. (Translation doesn't matter, unless you're about to collide with something. But let's say nothing is near enough to worry about.)

Your mission is to set the bicycle wheel spinning. Easy enough, right? But here's the catch: you have to do it without setting yourself spinning.

How would you do it?

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
What's the issue? (That's how zero my physics is) Every action having an opposite reaction?

Turn one wheel clockwise, the other simultaneously counter-clockwise? Wouldn't the two opposite forces simultaneously balance and neutralize the ... torque?

Or ... telekinesis. Cause TK works in zero gravity ... which is why it's never been proven here on Earth. :)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
You'll need something to counteract the motion of setting the bicycle wheel spinning in any particular direction. Otherwise, you're going to spin in the direction of any force applied.

The easiest way I can think of is to position yourself at the wheel with one arm extended and one grasping it. You must simultaneously push one arm in one direction (the one presumably grasping the wheel) and the other in exactly the opposite direction with exactly the same amount of force. In addition, you must let go of the wheel with the one hand at precisely the exact moment your other hand equalizes the force being used to start the wheel spinning.

If you can do this precisely enough, the opposing forces should balance one another enough to prevent you from spinning.

I say "should" because the degrees of force and counterforce involved need to be very precise otherwise you're going to start spinning in one direction or another.

One of my physics profs proposed a similar thought experiment involving 3 astronauts once. It was a very interesting experiment.

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
The problem with any solution that requires arm-flapping or something similar to counteract the rotation you're putting on the wheel is that it has to be precisely done, and that's tricky. I mean, how many people can accurately measure the torque they're applying without any instruments? There is an easier way, though.

If you pushed the wheel such that the line of the force went through your centre of mass, but not the wheel's, then the wheel would rotate due to the eccentric force, but you would not, because there would be no moment. So then all you need to know is where your centre of mass is - which is something that anyone used to working in null-g would know, because they'd be used to feeling their body rotate around it, and if they'd ever used thruster packs of any kind then that thrust would have to be balanced around their CoG to stop them from tumbling. For a naked human, it's somewhere near the small of your back, roughly in line with an imaginary line connecting the top of your hips. A spacesuit and backpack would likely shift it a little, but hey, if you get it wrong then you can just arm-flap a little :p

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Astronomer, as I recall the problem dealt with 3 astronauts, each weighing 200 lbs. Two of them are close enough together to push off each other. The experiment asks simply what happens to all 3 astronauts if one of the two closest together pushes the other on an intercept course with the third.

It's a relatively simple thought experiment really.

Ie,

A B. C

A pushes B towards C

All three have exactly the same mass.

Astronomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
A B. C

A pushes B towards C

All three have exactly the same mass.
Does C catch B? Or does C bounce off B like a billiard ball?

(Or is it something in between, the likes of which would never be considered in a high-school physics class? ;))

Anaximander, that's the answer I was looking for, but as others have surmised, it's not the only possible answer. The downside of this method is that the wheel will float away from you (and you from it) for all eternity (or about one orbit, depending on conditions), but at least it's spinning. So that didn't take long. :)

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
Anaximander, that's the answer I was looking for, but as others have surmised, it's not the only possible answer. The downside of this method is that the wheel will float away from you (and you from it) for all eternity (or about one orbit, depending on conditions), but at least it's spinning. So that didn't take long. :)

If you held the wheel at the hub, and then pushed... although then the resultant force on the arm doing the holding would also have to go through your CoG, which could be tricky.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Astronomer, all things being equal, and obeying the Laws of Physics, when A accelerates B he begins moving in the opposite direction. B is accelerated toward C in accordance with the kinetic energy imparted by A (actually, it's 1/2 of 1/2mv^2 as I recall since the energy imparted by A on B acts on both A and B equally, but in opposite directions). B floats toward C. On impact, in theory, all of B's kinetic energy could be imparted to C such that B comes to a stop and C goes flailing off into space OR B could impact C and impart only a smaller amount of the kinetic energy of B to C such that both are accelerated in the same frame.

There's supposed to be a way to save all 3 astronauts, but I've never seen an answer.

For what it's worth, the question was on the final for my second year in Undergrad physics and I received full value for my answer (A and C are doomed, but B gets to watch and die alone too).

Astronomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Anaximander, I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a way to apply a force to the rim of the wheel while maintaining an opposing force on the hub without the two forces being parallel, which would preclude the two forces converging on your CG.
On impact, in theory, all of B's kinetic energy could be imparted to C such that B comes to a stop and C goes flailing off into space OR B could impact C and impart only a smaller amount of the kinetic energy of B to C such that both are accelerated in the same frame.
So we're talking billiard balls, then. :)

And there's a way to save them? All? Wow, I'll have to think about that one. Stupid A has to ruing it for everyone.