More Posts vs. Longer Posts

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
I tend to write long posts. The main point of my blog, as I see it, is my series Those Magnificent Men and their Atomic Machines, which currently averages about 5,000 to 8,000 words, posted once every 2-3 months. But I've noticed that my shorter posts (i.e., less than 2,000 words) tend to get considerably more traffic and provoke more comments on Twitter.

The thing is, I like writing long. I blog about history, and I like being able to go into the background and the context and the weird little details. (The uncharitable might rephrase that as "I like to hear myself talk.")

It's not exactly a pressing issue - I'm not trying to sell a book or ad space or anything - but every writer likes to be read, and most like to please the readers. So, I'm asking your opinion: what are the advantages and disadvantages of more-but-shorter versus fewer-but-longer posts?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well perhaps some people don't like reading longer posts as much as opposed to longer ones. It depends on the content and the reader really.

If it's shown you get more views and comments, perhaps break the post in two? Like Part 1 and Part 2 of the same chapter? Could that work maybe?

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I also write a history blog. It's focus is on Florida history. But if I were ever to expand it outside of Florida. I would say have three posts about Andrew Jackson. One on when he was governor of Florida. What he did after leaving Florida but before he became president and a third one about his presidency and what he did afterward.

Depending on how much information there is.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people follow a large number of blogs. Long posts require a big time investment, so they may skip your post in favor of reading four others. It's a psychological thing. They will feel that they've accomplished more.

And lots of people don't like to have to scroll. They want something short and pithy that can be contained on a single screen.

As Lyra Jean suggested, can't you break up the long posts into subsections, and post them one at a time?

There is a second advantage to that. You could end each one with a teaser: "Tomorrow, I cover . . . " Then you might start to build return traffic.

You can still write the way you prefer. Write your posts in a Word doc and make them as long as you want. Then come back to them with an editor's eye and figure out how to chunk them.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
So, I'm asking your opinion: what are the advantages and disadvantages of more-but-shorter versus fewer-but-longer posts?

I used to write for Suite 101 and my shorter posts got more views. 250 - 750 wds tops got the most article views. As S101 has done the work of going over the numbers it's probably a good idea to listen. I had to stop writing for them when my free time became practically nonexistent and there was no time to pay attention to SEO and stuff like that.

I only began to blog a couple of months ago and I blog once a week, usually on Mondays. It's quite freeing because I write about whatever I like and ignore SEO. My readership is steadily increasing. Most people seem to enjoy my short stories best. I try to keep it light There's already so much stress in my own life, what with wrestling with a WIP, a tough day job and a few personal and family difficulties that I need a break from it all. My blog gives me that.

Okay, so I'm rambling.:) The proof's in the pudding as they say and shorter is better.

Last edited:

LGallier

Marketer.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.literaryplus.com
Shorter posts means less of a time and energy investment for your readers, they achieve their goal and then feel the happy buzz quicker. They will also get a stronger feeling of satisfaction if they return to you on a more regular basis due to you writing more short posts.

This is the digital age, everything is fast paced. You have to fight to attract and then hold your reader's attention. People want quick fixes and instant gratification.

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
A lot of people follow a large number of blogs. Long posts require a big time investment, so they may skip your post in favor of reading four others. It's a psychological thing. They will feel that they've accomplished more.

And lots of people don't like to have to scroll. They want something short and pithy that can be contained on a single screen.

As Lyra Jean suggested, can't you break up the long posts into subsections, and post them one at a time?

There is a second advantage to that. You could end each one with a teaser: "Tomorrow, I cover . . . " Then you might start to build return traffic.

You can still write the way you prefer. Write your posts in a Word doc and make them as long as you want. Then come back to them with an editor's eye and figure out how to chunk them.

All true and valuable, but the counter here is that frequent posts can be just as draining to readers as long posts. I've been posting daily, and the most common feedback I've gotten is that it's too difficult to keep up with the volume of posts.

Regular posting seems to be good, but "Tomorrow, I cover..." may get you into trouble too.

Perhaps write long, split them and post once a week, rather than the current semi-regular "once every 2-3 months"?

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If it's shown you get more views and comments, perhaps break the post in two? Like Part 1 and Part 2 of the same chapter? Could that work maybe?

I've thought about that, and I may try it in future. My current approach is not really conducive to it, though - my main schtick is weird technology ideas from the atompunk days, stuff like using hydrogen bombs to dig harbors or using nuclear reactors to melt through the ground. I generally do something like Context (2,000 words) - Weird Concept (2,000 words) - More Context (2,000 words), which means breaking it up would mean at least two pure-context pretty-picture-less posts, which seems suboptimal. Although obviously my writing style is not immutable.

I generally do write in word docs, but I'm planning to move away from that. For some reason, the formatting gets screwed up when I copy and paste into Blogspot's post editor - it looks fine in the editor, but if I actually post it the font sizes are all weird and don't match what I set them to. I can fix it by changing all the font sizes to something else and then changing them back again, but I have to do that to each individual paragraph to avoid messing up the formatting on the citations. It's a massive pain.

All true and valuable, but the counter here is that frequent posts can be just as draining to readers as long posts. I've been posting daily, and the most common feedback I've gotten is that it's too difficult to keep up with the volume of posts.

Regular posting seems to be good, but "Tomorrow, I cover..." may get you into trouble too.

I don't think I'm at any risk of posting daily anytime in the near future. :tongue My current goal is to build up to weekly posts, and I've got a ways to go for that. Part of the problem is that this is very research-intensive, and interlibrary loan takes time, and so I generally have to start planning even short articles at least 2-3 weeks before I actually post them.

Perhaps write long, split them and post once a week, rather than the current semi-regular "once every 2-3 months"?

I do do shorter articles occasionally, not just the big ones - I'm currently averaging 1-2 articles per month. Hence my discomfited surprise that the short ones, which I thought of as throw-aways, get far, far more hits.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
History articles have the same problem which is why I haven't posted anything new for a long time. I'm in the middle of re-organizing my blog and writing posts now to automatically publish at a future date. I use Wordpress. I don't have MSWord so I just type directly into the blog.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
History articles have the same problem which is why I haven't posted anything new for a long time. I'm in the middle of re-organizing my blog and writing posts now to automatically publish at a future date. I use Wordpress. I don't have MSWord so I just type directly into the blog.

One thing I noticed about doing history articles is that they were primarily read by students looking for information. Keeping the print a good size and having the article succinct but info-packed and easy to move through using paragraph headings seemed to garner more reads. I also tried to include 2 or 3 pictures depending on the subject.

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
I don't think I'm at any risk of posting daily anytime in the near future.

How disappointing! Aren't we all trying to work up to more words, faster, and better? ;)

I do do shorter articles occasionally, not just the big ones - I'm currently averaging 1-2 articles per month. Hence my discomfited surprise that the short ones, which I thought of as throw-aways, get far, far more hits.

Maybe the takeaway is that your style is well suited to the shorter pieces, or that you take a different approach to them. At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, in your position I'd be looking to see what I was doing differently with the short pieces (other than writing less words) and seeing whether I could do more of that in the longer pieces.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
One thing I noticed about doing history articles is that they were primarily read by students looking for information.

If there's a class out there that could use what I write, I would seriously like to take it. I figure my target market is nerds into atompunk and weird technology.

Keeping the print a good size and having the article succinct but info-packed and easy to move through using paragraph headings seemed to garner more reads. I also tried to include 2 or 3 pictures depending on the subject.

Pictures are no problem. Government document servers are a wonderful thing - especially since gov docs aren't copyrighted. :D The Atomic Energy Commission wasn't as in to concept art as the defense department, but they've got some, and there's usually lots and lots of schematics and graphs and maps and so on.

How disappointing! Aren't we all trying to work up to more words, faster, and better? ;)

The writing isn't the problem, for short articles I can usually knock out the writing in a few hours. (Plus several days of obsessive editing and fact rechecking and fighting with blogger's formatting.) It's the reading. And getting the books to read.

Maybe the takeaway is that your style is well suited to the shorter pieces, or that you take a different approach to them. At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, in your position I'd be looking to see what I was doing differently with the short pieces (other than writing less words) and seeing whether I could do more of that in the longer pieces.

Hm. Let me think about that.

I think I'm going to do my next long post as a single long post, since it's the second part of something I've already done part 1 of. But I'll try splitting up the one after that into more bite-sized chunks.

MichaelMDickson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
OutlineYourNovel.com
Run a test.

Post a condensed version of your post on your blog with a link description at the top that brings people to the more detailed post.

You can track the page visits using analytics and see where your readership goes.

My guess is the shorter post wins hands down. Content is king, but time trumps it.

The best part is, you can continue to enjoy writing the longer posts, and you serve your readership as well.

I would also venture to guess you will see a decrease in your bounce rate too. If you have analytics on your site that is.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
There is no reason why you can't have both. Not need to fall into the Either/Or trap.

I put short posts in the blog part of my site. I put my long ones in a different part, under such menu headings as Writing Advice, History of Aileron, etc.

The short posts might begin a long entry but end with Continued at XXX.

I post at least once a week, but separated by a few days. I don’t want to drown my readers in stuff.

I usually try to include a small image near the end. Sometimes it’s the cover of a book if the post is announcing its availability. Sometimes it’s just an interesting or humorous image related to the post.

It can also be an embedded YouTube video (which are allowed by my host). What shows up in the post is the first image of the video. If they click on it the (short) video plays in the post—NEVER ever a long video. Previews of a movie I liked are examples.

When the blog part of your site is also the Home part Facebook reblogs of the post include a small copy of the image.

Bottom line: give your readers a choice of what they want to read, short, long, or both.

Last edited: